I always said to myself that when I get my first BFP, I would make sure to post my story on TWW. I had been a long time lurker during the past year and reading everyone's posts made me feel less stressed(well, maybe at times I made myself more stressed because I kept comparing myself to others and drove myself crazy)!
Anyhow, I got my first BFP yesterday morning. I used the easy@home test strips from Amazon that come in a 50 pack of OPKs and 20 HPTs.
My cycles were irregular(I would skip 2 months or they would range between 30day-40day cycles) when I was younger, but now my cycles would be 40-45 days. I have never been on BC either, no IUD or meds or anything at all.
My husband and I were praying to get pregnant last year, but our timing was off and I was not precise on catching my ovulation day. Up until January 2018, I really made it a point to try everything I could to increase our chances.
January, Feb and March came and went by and still no BFP. My luteal phase is 14-15 days. DH and I are 29.
Here is what I did differently this time around:
1) Really make it a point to be precise and take BBT at the same time every morning and in the same location (right pocket under my tongue)/position. (My previous cycles I would wake up earlier or later than my target time and it screwed everything up)
2) I started WORKING OUT. Ladies, I really think this helped me tremendously. Previous to this cycle, I had not gone to the gym for like a year!!! For 4 weeks once my period was over, I went to the gym 3-4x/week. I did cardio for 30mins on the treadmill or elliptical and then did free weights and lifted.
3) EAT RIGHT or EAT SMARTER. Again, before this cycle I ate like crap. I ate anything and everything I wanted, you name it. After my workouts I would make a protein smoothie. This really helped me and motivated me, it was a good routine.
4) CHIA SEED AND MACA POWDER. I ate chia almost every other day and added this to my salads, eggs, and smoothies. I added the maca powder to my smoothies as well, even gave some to my hubby--couldn't even taste it!
I used the Navitas brand of Maca Powder--just a teaspoon of it and you're set. It it said to help with fertility and balance hormones. My go to smoothies recipe: Choc almond milk, frozen berries like blackberries/strawberries/blueberries, banana, cup of spinach leaves, the chia and maca.
5) DITCHED THE PRESEED.
I know for some, Preseed is what helped them conceive, but for my hubby and I we decided not to use it this time around. We used it in January/Feb/March and we do not think it worked for us. So this time we did not use anything.
6) BD every other day to every 3 days. This worked for us. For example, this cycle we BD'd CD24, 26, 28, 30, 34 and 35. My peak LH surge/positive OPK was on CD33.
7) Doggystyle! (TMI!!!)
Previous months he would finish with me on my back, this time with me on all fours lol. Nuff said. And yes, I had my legs straight up afterwards, and a folded pillow under my pelvis for 10-15 mins.
Forgot to mention we went on a vacation a week after my period ended; after our vacation that was when I started working out and eating right! I am sure vacation took my mind off the stress of TTC! I even had sangria!!!
8) PRAY, PRAY, PRAY. If you have faith in God and believe in Him, He will bless you richly. Pray without ceasing. I always thought that it would take more than a year to conceive and I always cried everytime a BFN showed and thought something was wrong. This time around I just Let Go and Let God. Trust in Him.
Here were my symptoms:
1DPO- Nips hurt terribly (this was normal and expected for me every cycle the day after ovulation)
2DPO- Nips still hurt. Food craving for salty food like Shake Shack (normal PMS symptom that I usually get)
3DPO- Nothing unusual
4DPO- Food craving for chocolate pretzels from TJs, craved pizza and Panera (OMG I'm disgusting LOL)
5DPO- Felt a sharp pain in my lower right area at night when I stretched OUCH!!
6DPO- ABSOLUTELY NO NIP SORENESS (this completely caught my attention, because my nips usually feel sore for the duration of 1 week or more before my period comes) Dry CM like a desert lol. Craved salty junk food AGAIN -_-
7DPO- HAD ZERO symptoms. Again, no nip soreness, NO SORE OR SWOLLEN BBS at all(usually my bbs get swollen before my period for 1-2 weeks)
8DPO- Felt absolutely NORMAL in terms of bbs. CM was a tiny bit creamy/sticky. Took a 2-hour long nap on my couch- I get out of work at 3pm, fell asleep around 5pm and woke up at 7:40pm!
9DPO- Took a nap AGAIN for 1.5-2 hours. Took a huge, long pee after my nap WTF. After that, I noticed immediate bloating in my tummy, the area around my belly button felt so soft and squishy and bloaty! Literally felt like I gained 10lbs after my nap.
10DPO- Nothing unusual.
11DPO- Craved salty food like my usual PMS symptoms. I ate samosas from Whole Foods and an everything bagel with cream cheese and chives! WHAT?! I also had 2 BMs, odd.