Like so many I've been stalking these forums and wanted to add my story in case it's of help to anyone else, specifically any same sex couples who are doing unmedicated IUIs (wasn't able to find too many of these stories!)
We began the process assuming everything was "normal" in terms of my fertility. I started at age 30 (now 31) and am in good health, but working with frozen samples and timing an unmedicated IUI definitely added some complications.
I used Clearblue Easy Advanced Digital OPKs to track ovulation, and did two inseminations per cycle. I started taking prenatal vitamins (New Chapter) but didn't really do much else differently until the fourth (and successful!) attempt. Not sure if those extra things played a role, or it was more psychological, but I'll take it!
Here's a brief timeline leading up to BFP...
March 2014-July 2014: met with clinic, selected donor, bloodwork, etc.
August 2014: positive OPK on CD 13. Inseminations on CD 13 and CD 14. BFN.
September 2014: timing was definitely off (still getting the hang of the OPKs!) Based IUI timing on ultrasound and bloodwork on CD 13. Inseminations on CD 14 and 15. BFN.
October 2014-January 2015: TTC break
February 2015: positive OPK on CD 14. Inseminations on CD 14 and CD 15. BFN. This BFN was especially tough because it came on the morning I was hosting a baby shower for a friend, and at the shower ANOTHER friend announced she was pregnant. Ouch.
March 2015: ended up ovulating much later than usual (CD 18). It threw off my schedule and we were still upset from the last BFN and decided to take a breather and skip this month.
April 2015: positive OPK on CD 17 after FIVE days of the "high" fertility reading (flashy smiley). Usually had only 0-2 days of flashy before positive result, so this was unusual. Inseminations on CD 17 and CD 18. BFP on FRER on DPO 12. Yay!
In terms of symptoms, not much of note, but here they are:
- in past cycles, I always had CM with a brownish tint a few days after IUI (figure it was side effect of procedure) but did not have it this cycle.
- noticeable amount of yellowish CM on DPO 4. Never completely dried up but after that day was not especially heavy or noteworthy.
- some cramping, twinges, lower back pain, but truly would have not noticed if it wasn't a TTC month.
In terms of what I did differently:
- cut down on caffeine to one cup of coffee per day (only cheated a few times!) for about two months.
- cut out alcohol the week before predicted ovulation and during TWW.
- drank fertility tea blend from start of cycle until ovulation.
- Bach flower remedy (water violet, gentian, white chestnut, impatiens).
- more intentional healthy eating (more protein, fertility friendly foods like avocado, but no drastic changes to eating habits).
- a couple of doses of cod liver oil.
- kept feet warm with socks or slippers during TWW.
- five day "pineapple plan"
I basically just picked a hodge-podge of things that sounded appealing to try, without completely changing my lifestyle. A lot of it felt more about the ritual, which helped me stay calm and alleviate stress.
Feeling really happy to have gotten farther than ever before, here's hoping to smooth sailing!