Spotting with no pain ended up being ectopic pregnancy :(

Anything goes, as long as it’s related to TTC!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Spotting with no pain ended up being ectopic pregnancy :(

Postby Loobynooby » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:50 am

Hi ladies, i just wanted to post a message to tell you that I have learnt that you can't be too careful about getting something checked out if you think something may be wrong.

My younger sister was also ttc and 2 weeks ago got her bfp. She was super excited as was I and the rest of our family. Almost immediately after she got her bfp she began to experience bloating like nothing she had felt before, and we just thought it was down to increase in hormones. She could feel light cramping sensations but didn't have any spotting or implantation bleeding before or at this point. She felt fine apart from this terrible bloated feeling.

About 3 days after getting her bfp she began to get some brown dischargy spotting which we thought was normal as it wasn't massively heavy or painful at all. After it was going for about 4 days she decided to call the early pregnancy unit at the hospital to get checked out and to be reassured that everything was OK. Again, she wasn't massively worried at this point and wasn't in any pain at all.

The early pregnancy unit called her in for a scan the same afternoon, and they found that they couldn't see the embryo (but as she was only 5 weeks they said that they may not have been able to see it anyway) but that there seemed to be blood coming from her right fallopian tube. The hospital decided to keep her in with a suspected ectopic pregnancy, but were baffled as she was not in any pain, so decided to perform a laparoscopy to see what was going on.

From the laparoscopy it became apparent that she had indeed suffered an ectopic pregnancy and her fallopian tube had ruptured. There was a lot of blood in her abdomen/pelvis. They had to remove her fallopian tube.

Our family are extremely sad that this has happened to my sister and she now has to come to terms with the loss of her fallopian tube and pregnancy. She was extremely lucky that the outcome was not more serious and we are so very glad that she went and booked that scan.

I just wanted to share this with you ladies because we are all told that ectopic pregnancies are excruciating and that you'd know if you were having one, but in my sister's case, she felt perfectly fine and is extremely glad she went to the hospital 'just to be on the safe side'.

Love to you all and best wishes for normal, healthy pregnancies soon.
Loobynooby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Pinkdaisy05 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:45 pm

I am so sorry for your sisters loss. Thank you for posting and sharing her story. I hope that she is able to get pregnant again without any trouble when she is ready to.
Pinkdaisy05
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Salix » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:57 pm

That must've been really scary for your sister; especially with no obvious warning it was going to happen.

I'm sorry your sister had to go through such a traumatic experience.
Salix babylonica
Salix
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Loobynooby » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:38 am

Thank you for your kind words Pinkdaisy and Salix. Yes it was very scary and traumatic for my sister :( . It all happened so quickly for her, and was a real shock. We are very grateful of course that she is OK, and hope too that she will go on to have a normal pregnancy in the future.

Take care.
Loobynooby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to General TTC Stuff