Light my fire

Anything goes, as long as it’s related to TTC!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Light my fire

Postby pinkrock » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:36 pm

My husband remarked that getting pregnant is a lot like starting a fire:

You're warned your whole life to be careful, not play with matches, put out every spark, etc., etc. Because all it takes is one careless moment and--Whoosh! Your whole life is up in flame. Fires are dangerous. Fires are just waiting for the chance to explode all over everything you own.

And then you buy a wood burning stove and spend endless cold nights in a smoky house because the *$#^! thing won't burn no matter how much newspaper and lighter pine you shove into it. It takes months--years, even--to master your fire building technique and even then you still have to be careful and baby it for the first few moments or it will go out.

You grow up hearing all the warnings, sit through all the high-school sex ed classes, and verily believe that babies are just waiting for the chance to pop out and screw up your life...SO BE REALLY CAREFUL! One daring night, one wayward sperm, and--bam!-- you've got a baby on your hands. All it takes is once.

And then you decide to have a kid and discover that it takes months and months--sometimes years--of careful planning, coordination, and cooperation to complete a conception. And even then it's not certain that there will be a baby: all kinds of things could happen before then.

I never needed all those lessons on how to prevent fires & babies. Preventing them is absurdly simple. I needed lessons on how to build fires and make babies! Why don't they teach that kind of stuff?
pinkrock

Postby wescottswife » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:19 am

Absolutely love this!! thnx for sharing! Its so very true! GL to you & baby dust!
wescottswife
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Anniola » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:23 am

Brilliant!!
For the first time ever I am wishing I wasnt so careful all those years :D
Anniola
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby owlpwr » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:03 am

So true! Well said :)
Me~35
DH~33

BFP~4-12-10~mmc/D&E~9-17-10
BFP~3-01-11*Identical Twins*
mmc/D&C~6-14-11(TTTS)
BFP~7-08-12~mc~4w5d
BFP~8-20-12~mmc~7w4d(no hb)
BFP~3~01~13 HB 166 Due~11~12~13
owlpwr
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Salix » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:25 pm

An excellent analogy!

All those years wasted on fire blankets and extinguishers...
Salix babylonica
Salix
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to General TTC Stuff