Long luteal phase?

Anything goes, as long as it’s related to TTC!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Long luteal phase?

Postby LeslieLou » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:34 am

I have been charting and using OPK's for the last two months. I have discovered that I seem to have a long luteal phase- between 18-20 days. I have ovulated both times between CD12 and CD13, but then my period comes about 18-19 days later near or around CD 30. Is this ok? Will this affect TTC at all? Thanks for any information.
LeslieLou
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: Long luteal phase?

Postby sarah819 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:15 pm

I just read this on tryingtoconceive.com:

"A long luteal phase means the female body continues to produce high levels of progesterone for more than 16 days past ovulation. While a long luteal phase defect is very rare, it can adversely affect fertility and prevent conception. One of the reasons a long luteal phase can be so confusing is that because of experiencing constant progesterone elevation, it means it can be very hard to determine when ovulation happens.

If a long luteal phase is suspected, there are certain hormone based blood tests which a physician can order to find out more information. Long luteal phase treatment can include keeping a daily record of body temperature to give the woman a better idea of when ovulation actually happens. It is also possible to mistake other conditions for a long luteal phase and when trying to conceive, a woman can find the condition very frustrating.

Most women will realize the cycle has continued for more than 28 days and think it means she is pregnant. High progesterone levels and an increase in body temperature can also be indicative of conception. Long luteal phase treatment involves speaking to a gynecologist and obtaining more information and possibly undergoing more tests to determine how to best handle the problem."

It doesn't really say whether it adversely affects conception, it just says that it makes it hard to tell when you're ovulating. Hmmm. Very interesting. Good luck to you!!!

waitingformybun.blogspot.com
Me: 33
Hubs: 35
TTC #1: Cycle 11
sarah819
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby LeslieLou » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks so much for your response, Sarah. This is interesting. It also explains a lot. If this is the case an I have high progesterone levels, it explains many of the pregnancy "symptoms" I have been having. At least I may not be crazy! I will continue to chart and see what happens. I guess if nothing comes of it, I will discuss this more with my doctor. Thanks again.

Please feel free to chime in if anyone else reads this an has a similar issue.
LeslieLou
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Misstea » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:56 pm

I also generally have a long LP. Mine also varies quite a bit. For the cycles I have on fertility friend (6 of them), I've had anywhere from 15-21 days. Which does get frustrating, as the tww keeps going and going... and I'm never really sure how soon I can test. I have successfully gotten a BFP, so I don't know how this affects actual conception - I just know it drives me crazy! :) It would be nice to know exactly HOW it can " adversely affect fertility and prevent conception." Update if you find anything more on this.

Good luck with your charting... don't let it stress you out.
Misstea
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby sararome » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:46 am

Dear all,
I know I am replying an old post but maybe in the meantime you found the solution to this problem.
I have just discovered I have a long luteal phase too. By video-monitoring my ovulation I found out it happens around 8-9 days after period begins. My cycle lasts around 30-32 days, so it would mean that my luteal phase is about 23 days.
I have been trying to conceive for more than 2 years now, after a miscarriage happened at my first trying in July 2014.
I am now wondering whether this long luteal phase can cause any defect and be the reason of my infertility. For sure every week before the arrival of my period I have wired symptoms that I understand being possibly related with high progesterone level.
I will visit with my gynecologist soon but in the meantime I would be very pleased to hear from you and learn from your experience.
Many thanks,
Sara
sararome

Postby KhiMommy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:18 pm

Only thing I can think of it that because your ovulating so soon after menses that the uterine lining is poor and not thick and healthy enough to hold an implant but then again idk
KhiMommy

Return to General TTC Stuff