Period equal fertility?

Anything goes, as long as it’s related to TTC!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Period equal fertility?

Postby lilblondie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:19 am

It's possible right to have a monthly period and not ovulate? That's my fear. My husband and i have been having sex since 9 days, every other day. I'm on CD 15. I know the only way to know it is i make an ovulation kit but anyone know about if periods mean fertility or not? Please wish me luck this month!
lilblondie
Friend

Re: Period equal fertility?

Postby Niamhers » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:18 am

Regular periods generally do mean healthy fertility. anovulatory cycles (ie cycles where you don't ovulate) are usually identified by excessively long or excessivly short irregular cycles. However there are other infertility issues where you will still ovulate but may not conceive
Niamhers

Postby sandry » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:51 pm

It's definitely possible to have a period without ovulating, yes.

Also, ovulation predictor kits do not actually tell you if you've ovulated. They tell you that your body is getting ready to ovulate, but that doesn't mean you actually will. You can only tell that by temping and charting.
sandry
Friend

Postby SJFL412 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Having a period does not necessarily means you are ovulating. I have a version of PCOS and have generally pretty regular cycles 28 to 32 days but most of the time I don't ovulate. You may want to try charting your BBT for a month or two and that may give you a better idea. Unlike OPKs it will tell you if you ovulated based on temperature shifts. Or you can have a doctor check your progesterone on CD 21.
SJFL412
Friend

Postby lilblondie » Tue May 02, 2017 1:28 pm

Thank you all! Yeah i'll begin to take my body temp. Still waiting to see if this month is it. Hopefully!!
lilblondie
Friend

Postby sandry » Wed May 03, 2017 10:17 am

SJFL412 wrote:Having a period does not necessarily means you are ovulating. I have a version of PCOS and have generally pretty regular cycles 28 to 32 days but most of the time I don't ovulate. You may want to try charting your BBT for a month or two and that may give you a better idea. Unlike OPKs it will tell you if you ovulated based on temperature shifts. Or you can have a doctor check your progesterone on CD 21.

Well, a progesterone draw on CD21 won't actually tell you anything useful unless you ovulate on CD14, and if you have a cycle that's anything longer than 26-28 days, you probably don't. My cycles are generally in the 33 day range on average and I ovulate around CD20, so a draw on CD21 would show I hadn't ovulated yet even though I did, because the levels aren't high enough yet. It should really be 7DPO for a progesterone draw.
sandry
Friend

Return to General TTC Stuff