Have you heard of this?

Anything goes, as long as it’s related to TTC!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Have you heard of this?

Postby k.r.wilbert2 » Thu May 04, 2017 6:33 pm

So this will be my DH and I 9th cycle TTC. I just had my annual earlier this week (was hoping in the prior months that I could cancel this and make an initial OB Appt but obviously that hasn't happened). My obgyn and I were discussing about pregnancy and trying and I had mentioned it had been 9 cycles (I know ppl try A LOT longer). I told him that I ovulate regularly and have a 27-30day cycle. He told me to cut carbs because our ovaries have insulin-like receptors that get bogged down from all the carbs so eating less of them should free the receptors up to working like they should. Has anyone heard of this?
He said it's usually what he tells his patients who have been trying for almost a year but not quite to the year mark and they always end up coming in a few months later pregnant. I did some research and it says it usually has to do with PCOS which he said I'm probably hovering around. I am over weight but I feel like that's the only aspect of PCOS that I have.
I'm just wondering if anyone has knowledge on the insulin like receptors on the ovaries?!

Thanks!! Sorry! It was much shorter in my head :)
k.r.wilbert2

Re: Have you heard of this?

Postby GKR_1985 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:01 am

I have heard that insulin resistant and estrogen dominance (progesterone sensitivity/low progesterone) can be linked. Low progesterone can definitely cause issues, I don't think going low carb could hurt anything! A low carb diet can also help you lose weight (if done carefully, correctly and safely). Weight loss can also increase fertility sometimes. These all seem like positive things.IMO doesn't hurt to try.
me: 31 DH: 31
TTC since May 2016 (ntnp since January 2016)
BFP #1 September 2016, m/c October 2016 (6w5d)
BFP #2 March 5, 2017!!!!
DD born November 7, 2017 at 38w5d!
GKR_1985
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: Have you heard of this?

Postby k.r.wilbert2 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:35 pm

Well I'm on day 3! It's crazy how many foods have tons and tons of carbs! He wanted me to get to the ketotic state so I'm doing 39 grams per day. Eating smaller portions and just over all more healthy. I feel like it also might have been a way for him to say I should lose weight without saying that (he's a big man himself so).
I don't think it will have any affect on my current cycle but I'll be good to go for the next!
k.r.wilbert2

Return to General TTC Stuff