Tracking cycle after IUD removal

Anything goes, as long as it’s related to TTC!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Tracking cycle after IUD removal

Postby Beauty&Beast » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:01 am

Hello all! I am a long time reader, but this is my first time to post. :)

My husband and I have finally decided to start TTC our first child. I had my Skyla IUD inserted about 2 and a half years ago, with no periods for the last two years. I would only have about 2 days of spotting, pretty consistent with when my cycle should have been starting. I had my IUD removed on July 6th. Two days later I had very light, pink, spotting, just when I wiped. A week after removal I had what seemed like heavy, brown, spotting, not really bleeding like how my periods used to be, but enough that a pantyliner was not enough. It only lasted about 3 days. Should I count this as my period?

It is so confusing trying to determine how to track my cycle now! I don't know if I count the brown spotting as my period, or what. Any advice? I would also love to hear about how TTC post-IUD removal went for anyone in the situation. :)
Beauty&Beast
Friend

Re: Tracking cycle after IUD removal

Postby BeeCee33 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:25 pm

Oi. I can share my experience, but be forewarned it's not the happiest. :/

I had the mirena for 1 year after my son was born. I didn't have periods while on it, but felt crampy once a month. I had it removed in November a day or two before O (I had a positive opk the day before removal) and spotted for 3 days. On the day my period was due (I'd tracked my cycles when TTC #1 so I know my LP length), I got some almost sticky BLACK blood/discharge for a few days. That was my period.

For the next few months, I O'd on CD 16 like clockwork and each period was only a day or two of spotting (but actual blood after that first month). No clots, no tampons/pads needed, just liners. My periods used to be 3 or 4 days with at least one day of heavy flow, the rest medium.

My doctor didn't seem concerned with this and said having a baby or having the IUD could change my period. I did get pregnant on cycle 3 (just like the literature said was common!) but mc'd at 5 weeks. Even then my doc said it was just an unfortunate event. 3 cycles later I was pregnant again, and again lost it at 5 weeks.

My periods are still very light and I have appointment next week to get things checked out. My doctor is adamant that the IUD isn't to blame, but something that is designed to thin your lining waaaay down to prevent pregnancy certainly seems like it could have a long term affect.

So, if I were you, I would track any fertile signs you feel ready to track: bbt, opk, cm, etc. Try to pinpoint where you are in your cycle so you know when AF is actually due. If you can wait, I suggest giving your body 3 months without the iud before TTC. I know several people personally that have lost babies in those first few months. Most doctors will tell you there's no added risk to trying right away, but a huge community of women online feel differently.

I hope you're one of the lucky ones that just has things go smoothly! There are plenty of those people out there as well. :)
Me (Becca): 31 DH:36

BFP Feb 20, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

BFP June 2, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

Henry James born 7/27/15

My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Beauty&Beast » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:37 am

BeeCee33: Thank you so much for sharing you story! I am so sorry for your losses. I hope all goes well at your appointment and that you get some answers.

That is exactly how I would describe the heaving spotting I had a week after removal: black and sticky. I will keep tracking my ovulation with OPK, I have been having O on CD 16 or 17 the last 3 months I have tracked. I am still getting in to all this, and it is only our first month, so I will probably try to just take it slow and see what happens. Your reply has helped me a lot! I think I will count the black spotting as my period and try to track ovulation from there. Thank you so much!
Beauty&Beast
Friend

Postby BeeCee33 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:07 am

Beat of luck to you! One thing I left out was that after those first few cycles, O started moving all over the place. Now I O anywhere from CD 15 to 23. I think those first few super consistent cycles were just a result of coming off birth control for me, so don't be surprised if things change up after a bit. I noticed a lot of other hormonal things around the 3 month mark, too, like acne all through my cycle. That has just recently cleared up, about 6 months later. I don't know if that happens to everyone, but I think my hormones are still trying to regulate after all this time!
Me (Becca): 31 DH:36

BFP Feb 20, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

BFP June 2, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

Henry James born 7/27/15

My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to General TTC Stuff