Polyp removal and IUI advice

Anything goes, as long as it’s related to TTC!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Polyp removal and IUI advice

Postby Texan0926 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:04 am

Hi everyone, I'm 35 and been TTC for 7 months. I have regular periods and positive ovulation tests each month.
I recently went to a fertility clinic to find out if any issues and they found a 2cm polyp in my uterus. They said at the time that this could not prevent pregnancy, but I could have it removed so I did last week as I thought it was worth a try.
When I went for my post surgery appointment the doctor suggested IUI with letrozole but I'm really confused as to whether I need this or not. She said again that the polyp would not have stopped me conceiving but the
Research I have done suggests polyps can prevent pregnancy.
My husbands sperm is normal, and I did have pregnancies at 19 and 29 which did not continue so I know it's possible I can conceive.
Anyone have any advice? I'm reading some things I don't like about the drugs element of the IUI.
I will be clear to start trying next cycle but any advice will really help put my mind at rest!
Thanks everyone!
Texan0926

Re: Polyp removal and IUI advice

Postby BeeCee33 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:53 pm

I have also read about polyps hindering implantation. Is there any reason other than maybe age that they think you need to move on to IUI right away? Maybe you could try a few cycles now that the polyp is gone before giving it a try? Is your only worry about the medication, or are things like potential cost an issue, too?

I'm not super familiar with letrozole, but I did just talk to a friend who used it on her first IUI cycle and her baby from that pregnancy is 4 months old today. She was diagnosed with a type of PCOS that doesn't have many symptoms. She is slender and did not have cysts all over her ovaries and she had regular cycles. They diagnosed her after doing a follicle count. Instead of the normal 15 or so developing follicles, she had something like 48 of them. Basically her body was putting all of it's energy into producing a high number of follicles so none ever developed fully so she was releasing poor quality eggs and the corpus luteum wasn't strong enough to sustain an early pregnancy. It's my understanding that the letrozole helps in aiding the production of one dominant follicle so the chance of pregnancy is increased.

Also, she only did IUI because they had awesome insurance that covered it. Her doctor said she was welcome to try naturally for awhile with the aid of the letrozole. So if cost is an issue, and you are ok trying the meds, you could maybe do a few natural cycles with the letrozole.
Me (Becca): 31 DH:36

BFP Feb 20, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

BFP June 2, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

Henry James born 7/27/15

My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Texan0926 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Hey, thanks so much for your reply, was really helpful.
To be honest no, it's just an age thing and of course I've now got it in my head after what the doctor said that maybe the problem wasn't the polyp. I think it's more of a timing thing. I don't want to wait another 6 months with no luck when I could have just gone straight to IUI. But of course the cost is a consideration as my insurance doesn't cover any infertility treatments at all. The polypectomy was expensive too.
There's a happy medium I'm sure! Thank you for the advice, I'll try for a couple of cycles and think positively!
Texan0926

Postby BeeCee33 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:30 pm

Best of luck to you!
Me (Becca): 31 DH:36

BFP Feb 20, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

BFP June 2, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

Henry James born 7/27/15

My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend