Metformin & Clomid

Anything goes, as long as it’s related to TTC!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Metformin & Clomid

Postby jcartee » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:09 pm

I’m new to this guys. Just a little background: Been ttc #1 since December 2017. Periods have always been extremely heavy & irregular (no gyn abnormalities identified); last period lasted 70 days (stopped with the help of meds).

Anyway, I started Metformin 2,000 mg yesterday, period began yesterday as well (as my gyn expected—with taking the meds). Will start Clomid tomorrow (days 3-7). My period was the ‘norm’ for me yesterday, but was very light earlier today, and actually stopped..Is this normal with Metformin? Thoughts/opinions are welcome & appreciated!
jcartee
Friend

Re: Metformin & Clomid

Postby BeeCee33 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:50 pm

I don't think metformin affects flow. It hasn't for me anyway. But I just wanted to say hi and welcome! I'm on metformin and letrozole. Tomorrow is CD 3 for me as well, so I'll be starting my letrozole. This will be cycle 3 on letrozole, but I've been on metformin since August or so.

Anyway, I'm happy to be a cycle buddy if you need it!
Me (Becca): 33 DH:38

BFP Feb 20, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

BFP June 2, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

Henry James born 7/2015

Giving letrozole a try at 2.5 mg:
Cycle 1-- BFN
Cycle 2-- BFN
My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jcartee » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:59 pm

That sounds great! My period went away yesterday & still hasn’t returned. Which is weird, because usually, it doesn’t stop without the help of medication (even birth control pills don’t stop the bleeding). Any ideas on what it could be?
jcartee
Friend

Postby BeeCee33 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:55 pm

Have they checked you for PCOS? That can cause irregular or weak ovulation which can result in varying period lengths. What about Endo? I know that causes heavy bleeding usually. I'm afraid I'm not much help because mine are super light all the time now-- 2 days, maybe 3, but only one day of actual flow. All the doctors I've seen say it's normal, and I've had a saline ultrasound to check for scar tissue or other abnormalities. But before having my son, they were always 4-5 days with a couple days of heavy flow! It still seems weird to me, and I've had two MC's since that change. The only thing my doctors seem concerned about is whether I'm ovulating and getting good progesterone numbers.

Henry James born 7/2015

Cycle 1-- BFN
Cycle 2-- BFN
My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jcartee » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:26 pm

Yes, they’ve done various tests to check for disorders/abnormalities—all came back normal. They chalked it up to hormones & started me on Metformin 2,000 mg daily & Clomid x 5 days. I finished the Clomid 10 days ago & still haven’t ovulated. That makes me think I’m not going to ovulate this month?
jcartee
Friend

Postby BeeCee33 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:13 pm

Hmm, I want to say they tell you to expect O between CD 14-19? So you could still have a couple of days. Have you had any ewcm or any other signs it could be approaching? Is this your first clomid cycle? It may be that you need a higher dose.

Henry James born 7/2015

Cycle 1-- BFN
Cycle 2-- BFN
My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jcartee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:21 pm

I’ve never had regular periods, so I’m not positive that I’ve ever even ovulated due to being on birth control for 6+ years. I don’t understand the CD stuff-because my cycles could last 70 days. Never predictable. All testing that has been done to check for female issues has been normal. This is my first Clomid cycle. The ovulatory signs I’ve had have been: increased sex drive, ewcm, mid-back pain, lower abdominal pain, and bloating. But I feel like those are all signs of AF as well. I am 24, with no children, if that helps lol
jcartee
Friend

Postby BeeCee33 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Well the CD 14-19 thing is what I read they base the success of clomid on. So if you aren't Oing by then, they say that cycle the clomid didn't work. You may still O on your own, but the goal of using those meds is to get you to O in that timeframe, if that makes sense. Those cycle days aren't set in stone, so they may vary a bit from doc to doc, but you should O around then if the clomid was affective. If you don't, they will probably increase your fine next time.

If you've had ewcm, then hopefully you have or will O soon!

Henry James born 7/2015

Cycle 1-- BFN
Cycle 2-- BFN
My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to General TTC Stuff