New to 2WW and General TTC Stuff

Anything goes, as long as it’s related to TTC!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

New to 2WW and General TTC Stuff

Postby BHLF » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:46 am

This is my first time for my boyfriend and I TTC. I've never been pregnant and never tried before, will be 39 years old next month. I currently have a Mirena IUD, it's getting removed next week. I just ordered a Clear Blue Monitor OPK in the hopes that I will be able to concieve quickly (not getting any younger). I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. Please let me know if you have any questions or advice (advice is always appreciated!)
BHLF

Re: New to 2WW and General TTC Stuff

Postby Dini » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:45 am

Hi BHLF, Good luck in your TTC journey - I'm 38 and know what it feels like to not be getting any younger! My boyfriend and I have been trying for our first recently as well (took as quite a while due to me having some blood clotting issues, but hoping this pregnancy works out - I'm currently almost 11 weeks).

I found OPKs really helpful when getting to know my cycle - I also temped to really get to know my cycles. This is where you take your temperature every morning at the same time as soon as you wake up (and before you get out of bed). To do this you have to use a Basal Body Temperature (BBT) thermometer and you add your temperatures into an app - there are loads out there to choose from. A popular one which also has a free option is Fertility Friend but I'm sure if you have a google there might be others as well.

When you take your temperature every day and plot it, you can see exactly which day you ovulated (the app will tell you so it takes out all guess work).
How this works is that from your period until ovulation, you will typically have lower temperatures. As soon as you ovulate, your body releases progesterone which increases your basal body temperature. Its the only way to confirm that you're ovulating (OPKs are great for giving you a heads up that you're about to ovulate but they don't confirm that you have).
Taking your BBT is great for seeing that you have ovulated but it doesn't give you a heads up when you're about to... and when you see a temperature increase on your chart its usually too late to conceive.

So basically, OPKs and BBT temping work together really well and will save you a lot of time trying to figure out if you're ovulating and when exactly it happened.

I always thought that taking temps etc... sounded like the most boring and unsexy way of trying to conceive, so never thought I would do that... fast-forward to 7 months after we started trying to conceive without results I realised I had to step-up my game. It turned out it was blood clotting issues but I'm still glad I temped and used OPKs because I really got to know my body... and I can't believe I was in my late 30s when I did!

Sorry for the long message :)
TTC since October 2016

BFP - Jan 2018 - CP @ 5 weeks
BFP - Feb 2018 - CP @ 5 weeks
BFP - Jul 2018 - Heartbeat seen at 7wks2ds.....
Dini
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Dini » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:48 am

P.S. There are a couple of Buddy Groups you might want to join on the site where everyone helps each other out on their journey. One of the most active ones is called "2019 baby hope buddy group".
TTC since October 2016

BFP - Jan 2018 - CP @ 5 weeks
BFP - Feb 2018 - CP @ 5 weeks
BFP - Jul 2018 - Heartbeat seen at 7wks2ds.....
Dini
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby BHLF » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:59 am

Thanks for the heads up and I'll definitely take a look at the group. Nice to meet you!!!
BHLF

Postby @whenmytruerainbow » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:49 am

Hi hun! Just dropped in to wish you good luck with ttc journey. May it be fast and smooth. Take good care of yourself just the way like you're already prego. Eat well balanced, sleep well, have enough rest. Take Folic acid daily, it's vital. Talk to your dr as for the vitamins and supplements to take to enrich your body. All my positive thoughts going your way. :sticky:
@whenmytruerainbow
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby BHLF » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:10 am

@whenmytruerainbow wrote:Hi hun! Just dropped in to wish you good luck with ttc journey. May it be fast and smooth. Take good care of yourself just the way like you're already prego. Eat well balanced, sleep well, have enough rest. Take Folic acid daily, it's vital. Talk to your dr as for the vitamins and supplements to take to enrich your body. All my positive thoughts going your way. :sticky:

Thanks for the advice! I have been taking a multivitamin with plenty of Folic and have also added Omega 3. I was trying to lose weight even before TTC, so I get a decent (probably not enough) amount of exercise and generally I eat a balanced diet. Even if I wanted a quick weight loss now, I know that it wouldn't help with having a baby. My sleep schedule is a little erratic, but that's just me and I'm working on making it more steady.

How about you? Have you had a baby or are you still in the TTC phase?
BHLF

Return to General TTC Stuff