Help Please, attn: SA experts

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Help Please, attn: SA experts

Postby Apples85 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:47 pm

I zoomed home so I can get some answers about DH's SA results. :(

I'm nauseous just thinking about how bad they were. We'll get the official results in the mail soon...

Motility: 25%
Morphology: 10%
Count: 14,000. yup. not million. THOUSAND.

Holy crap. What are we gonna do? I'm gonna go back to work now...but I feel like everything is crashing into a million pieces around me. If anyone has some insight, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance.
Me: 31
DH: 33 Severe MFI, Microdeletion of Y Chromosome

Warming up to TTC again!

My Ovulation Chart

My Blog ***Come read me, you know you want to :)***
Apples85
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby socialite_baby » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:39 pm

Your doctor will most likely want to do more tests on him to figure out why his count and motility aren't higher. Could be partial blockage, low testosterone, excessive smoking and drinking, etc. In the meantime start your DH on some vitamins. Mine takes a multivitamin from Whole Foods, 1,000 mg L-carnitine, 1,000 mg L-arginine, and 500 mg Royal Jelly. Pycnogenol is also amazing for sperm! It's an antioxidant and does wonders.

I'm so sorry the results weren't better. :hugs: I'm here for you if you ever need anything, just PM me! KUP on everything! I'll be thinking of you! :)
Lindsay (Mild Endo, thin PCOS, Hypothyroid, implantation failure)
TTC #1 for 7.5 years...

April - November 2011 - 7 Rounds of 50 mg Clomid, 3 IUIs. All BFN.
February - March, June 2012 - 3 Rounds 5 mg Femara. BFN.
April 2012 - "Immune Protocol" Follistim IUI. BFN.
May 2012 - Diagnosed activated natural killer cells and told we'll NEVER conceive naturally... *treatment break*
October 2015 - IVF #1. OHSS. Freeze all. 9 blasts on ice.
November 2015 - FET #1. BFN.
January 2016 - Holy *NATURAL* BFP!!! WTF?! First ultrasound 2/1/2016. Praying for a healthy sticky baby. <3
socialite_baby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby unaffected » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:57 pm

I'm sorry Apples :(

Socialite has some awesome suggestions! Also, make sure that he isn't taking lots of hot baths or using a hot tub/jacuzzi often. Certain prescription medications can also drastically lower sperm count. As can frequent bicycling.

I'm getting ready to put my DH on FertilAid for Men. His count is good, but has gotten progressively lower each IUI, and it worries me.

KUP on what you decide to do, and if it helps!! :luck:
Me (Kara): 30 DH: 30 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Betas: 8dp6dt/14dpo - 124; 10dp6dt/16dpo - 317; 16dp6dt/22dpo - 6,289; 23dp6dt/29dpo - 32,961
It's a boy!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Apples85 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Ugh.. Thank you ladies for your support. This was his 2nd SA, 1st one was last week...those results were horrendous:

Motility: 0%
Morph: 0%
Count: 9,000 Thousand.

So...the smallest of the smallest silver lining is that this last test was better...all be it crap-lousy.

I feel like a jerk. I tried to remain positive after the 1st SA, and even upon hearing the news from DH for the 2nd SA (via the phone) I can tell he was upset (for totally legit reasons) and he wanted to hang up...I snapped and said, "you know...can't I be upset too?" In hindsight, it seemed like a real a$$hole thing to say. I guess we'll both need time to wallow a bit, feel sorry for ourselves...and then hopefully find those bootstraps for the next plan. At least it's a start, in figuring out what's going on. Should I get a work-up to now? Just to cover our bases? I think I just answered my own question.

I think I'm gonna give him some time...I totally want him to go the supplement route, but I kinda want him to come to that decision on his own. There are also a couple of lifestyle changes I know he can make...he's just more apt to do them if he decides to rather than me telling him. I just have to keep reminding myself that he's not Type A like me, and he's not going to attack this like an animal and buy supplements on the way home from work like I would have.

Thanks for reading my rant. Wow. That really helped. Is this how you feel after blogging, Kara? Hmm. That's a thought.

What's even more awesome is getting this news on a Friday. I can't wait to not be distracted at home on the weekend. Okay, me and my smart-alec hands that are typing this post are gonna go eat some dinner...that always helps :)

Warming up to TTC again!

My Ovulation Chart

Apples85
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby unaffected » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Apples, just think of it as a whole weekend to do research and arm yourself with knowledge! Ok, I'm super cheesy, I know. And yes, I feel great after a blog post! It's so therapeutic. You should start a blog!

Well, to be honest, you may have some apologizing to do for your reaction, however I can't fault you for it. I probably would have reacted the same way! IF is so difficult, and emotions and hormones run high.

I think it's a good idea to kind of let DH make those decisions on what do. But, if some time passes and he's not taking the initiative, you might have to offer some suggestions or plant hints, lol.

I hope you enjoy your dinner! :)
TTC#1 since 2007
FET#3 - BFP!
Betas: 8dp6dt/14dpo - 124; 10dp6dt/16dpo - 317; 16dp6dt/22dpo - 6,289; 23dp6dt/29dpo - 32,961
It's a boy!
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Apples85 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:00 am

Kara, I apologized :) It took me a while...but I did :)

Also, I'm definitely not gonna let him try and figure this out for too long...I'll be "planting hints" whenever I can slide them in. Like yesterday we went out for breakfast, and came home with new running shoes for him and I. You think he's interested in running? Nope. But he's gotta start exercising. :)

Warming up to TTC again!

My Ovulation Chart

Apples85
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby unaffected » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:40 am

Lol, nice work!! His sperm are gonna be in great shape before you know it!! :luck:
TTC#1 since 2007
FET#3 - BFP!
It's a boy!
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby wannabmommee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:35 am

Apple- my DH has MFI. His count is good, but he has low motility & morph. He had 2 SA's done, and our first RE basically said straight to IVF. However, I am seeing a new RE and she thinks IUI would be a good shot. He was also referred to a urologist- and his doc is great. He said Krueger counts aren't that accurate- it's as if you were taking a sample of the entire US population, but only grabbing New York. Plus, sperm replenishes every 90 days, so if he had bad spermies, he can produce better ones- it's not like us where we are stuck with what we got as far as our eggs.

The RE put my DH on some testoesrone meds because it was a tad bit lower than it should be, and also on a multivitamin. There's a ton of girls on here that has their DH on other stuff too which I have heard has worked for count, moprh & motility.

GL!
Rachel (32), DH (34)
DX: MFI
2 Chemical Pregnancies
3/11-4/11: Letrozole/femara, Trigger, IUI & Endometrium- BFN
5/11- Menopur, Ovidrel, IUI & Endometrium-
Taking a break...
9/13 Surprise BFP! 9/14 Beta 44,605!! Woohoo!

A woman's heart should be so hidden in God that a man would have to seek the Lord first to find her.
Greater is HE that is in me than he that is in the world!
wannabmommee
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Apples85 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:38 pm

Thanks Rachel for your reply :)

The more time that passes since the SAs the more hopeful I feel. I'm not really all too familiar with any of it, is Krueger the standard? That's reassuring about the replenishment in 90 days...gives us something to look forward to. Now we're just waiting on a referral to a urologist.

:)

Warming up to TTC again!

My Ovulation Chart

Apples85
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby wannabmommee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:56 pm

I believe the Krueger is a standard count that a lot of docs use, esp in the IF world. I also know that stress is a HUGE factor of sperm quality, too! No laptops on the lap (my DH works from home and normally he has it on his lap) which is a big NO-NO!

Maybe seeing a urologist can help give your DH more answers. Hearing the doc may give your DH some motivation to do something quicker, too.
Rachel (32), DH (34)
DX: MFI
2 Chemical Pregnancies
3/11-4/11: Letrozole/femara, Trigger, IUI & Endometrium- BFN
5/11- Menopur, Ovidrel, IUI & Endometrium-
Taking a break...
9/13 Surprise BFP! 9/14 Beta 44,605!! Woohoo!

A woman's heart should be so hidden in God that a man would have to seek the Lord first to find her.
Greater is HE that is in me than he that is in the world!
wannabmommee
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby aidynsmom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:00 pm

Im so sorry about the results. I know how upsetting it can be. My dhs first few s/a's were around 2million. We both were devastated and never expected it since we have a ds. He was on a med and apparently it can affect sperm counts. He got off the med and starting taking vitamins and his count jumped from 2-10million and higher. Once he had 20 and another time 14. Anywho good luck. I would definitely do testing just to cover your bases!!
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/289127
Together since 03/2002- Married since 05/27/06
Me-29,DH-30,DS-5
Feb 09 blighted Ovum found @9weeks
Ttc #2 since 10/2008
Dh has a low sperm count
4/2010-Double iui failed
10/26/10-Lap surgery -Found 3small spots of endo and that my ovary was covered in scar tissue.Tube wasnt functioning.
Jan/feb 2011-Double Iui-Bfn
3/8/11- Started foster/adoption paperwork
6/21/11- finished foster class
Took Adoption classes
Chose to be little guys adoptive parents!!
11/16/11- Miracle bfp!!
Planned csec 7/23/12
7http://travsrandomramblings.blogspot.com/
aidynsmom
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Annabelle_M » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:48 am

Apples I'm so sorry, I'm now in this boat also. My DF finally agreed to get tested and now there's no turning back. I found out yesterday that he has abnormally low sperm counts and the dr said less than 1 but I'm calling back to find out if they meant just 1 or 1 million. I'm so devastated too and I'd be open to talk to you if you want, just PM me. I feel so lost and alone. I also blog and find it very helpful. We need to stick together.
NP since 2005, TTC #1 since June 09
DF dx varicocele, awaiting surgery
RE July 14th
Laparoscopy Sept. 6 (FINALLY after 10 years of pain, I will have my endo removed)

"Even miracles take a little time." ~Cinderella

My Blog: http://annabelle-isile.blogspot.com/

"Sometimes it's hard to conceive,
With all that I've got,
And all I've achieved,
What I want most
Before my time is gone,
Is to hear the words
"I love you, Mom"
I would die for that."
" width="0" height="0" alt="User avatar" />
Annabelle_M