National Infertility Awareness Week!

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

National Infertility Awareness Week!

Postby Apples85 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:16 am

I just stumbled upon this...after being of the percentage with MFI, of course I spend oodles on time googling my brains out.

Since I'm new to all of this, I had no idea that National Infertility Awareness Week is...next week! I've spent the last 20 minutes browsing through this site..and found a local group thats raising money for the Walk of Hope.

I'm gonna go off on a tangent here, so bear with me... One day, in the shower (where I do most of my thinking) I was thinking of how angry I get when I see a pregnant woman...I work in a mall and I feel like they are the majority. Sometimes this thought crosses my mind: "i bet it was so easy for them..." But really, how fair is that? I have no idea, I'm just bitter. I wish I knew, because I'm human, I get jealous, I judge. I battle with this all the time. At the same time, I'm tired of having a secret when people ask us about when we're going to have kids. With that, it seems like when it rains it pours. So... when I was browsing through this NIAW site, I found a local group..and then I found this:

---

The History of the Infertility Common Thread by Stirrup Queens

The Infertility Common Thread is a movement for anyone who has experienced infertility or who is currently experiencing infertility. For anyone who has suffered through pregnancy loss. For those who have conceived naturally, utilized treatments, adopted, used third-party reproduction, or chose to live child-free.

It all began when Paz lamented that there should be a secret handshake for those who have experienced or are currently experiencing infertility. She was finally pregnant after multiple miscarriages and she wanted infertile women to know when looking at her pregnant belly that she was one of them stillin heart and mind. She was open to questions and to passing along any information she had obtained along the way.

This led to a lengthy discussion about a signal we could give one another as well as a tangible object that would invite questions and subsequently discussion about infertility. The conversation jumped from idea to ideaa pomegranate-shaped charm, a Livestrong-esque braceletuntil it finally settled on a simple thread.

With the idea being that it was an item that was easy to obtain no matter where you lived. It posed a minimal cost. It could be ornamented or braided any way the wearer chose. It could be sent through the mail. It was simple. It was discreet. We picked the embroidery floss #814 because it was the colour of pomegranates. Which was one of the fertility symbols considered along the way.

Royalyne stepped forward and got the ball rolling with a write up that we tweaked until it became this statement:

Pomegranates, a longstanding symbol of fertility, serve as a strong analogy to those suffering through infertility. Though each pomegranate skin is unique in colour and texture, the seeds inside are remarkably similar from fruit to fruit. Though our diagnosis is unique?endometriosis, low sperm count, luteal phase defect, or causes unknown?the emotions, those seeds on the inside, are the same from person to person. Infertility creates frustration, anger, depression, guilt, and loneliness. Compounding these emotions is the shame that drives people suffering from infertility to retreat into silence.

In addition, the seeds represent the multitude of ways one can build their family: natural conception, treatments, adoption, third-party reproduction, or even choosing to live child-free.

The pomegranate thread holds a two-fold purpose: to identify and create community between those experiencing infertility as well as create a starting point for a conversation. Women pregnant through A.R.T., families created through adoption, or couples trying to conceive during infertility can wear the thread, identifying themselves to others in this silent community. At the same time, the string serves as a gateway to conversations about infertility when people inquire about its purpose. These conversations are imperative if we are ever to remove the social stigma attached to infertility.Tie on the thread because you?re not alone. Wear to make aware.

Join us in starting this conversation about infertility by purchasing this pomegranate-coloured thread (#814 by DMC) at any craft, knitting, or variety store such as Walmart or Target. Tie it on your right wrist. Notice it on others.

http://www.stirrup-queens.com/2006/09/h ... on-thread/

---

Am I seriously late to the party on this? This is what happens when I stay home sick. I un-earth stuff on google that was so 5 years ago. Let me know if any of you heard of this! I'm this close to going out and getting some thread! If this is so 2006...let's bring it back in honor of National Infertility Awareness Week!!!
Me: 31
DH: 33 Severe MFI, Microdeletion of Y Chromosome

Warming up to TTC again!

My Ovulation Chart

My Blog ***Come read me, you know you want to :)***
Apples85
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Apples85 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:21 am

duh.. here i am gushing about the site and i didn't even link it!

http://www.resolve.org/national-infertility-awareness-week/home-page.html

Warming up to TTC again!

My Ovulation Chart

Apples85
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby unaffected » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:25 am

I've not heard of the thread thing! This is all news to me :)

Great find, Apples!
Me (Kara): 30 DH: 30 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Betas: 8dp6dt/14dpo - 124; 10dp6dt/16dpo - 317; 16dp6dt/22dpo - 6,289; 23dp6dt/29dpo - 32,961
It's a boy!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby Apples85 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks Kara!

I love the idea of it being like a secret handshake. I often wonder how many of the pregnant women I see day in day out have fought the fight. I might drag my cold infested self out to walmart (closest store) to pick some up, resurrect my junior high friendship bracelet skillz and whip one up on my sicky day off. I bet my DH will sport one.

Warming up to TTC again!

My Ovulation Chart

Apples85
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby wannababy2011 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:39 pm

That's a really great find Apples! I did not know about the thread thing. I'm thinking the same thing as you. Really wanting to get myself some thread and whip up a few bracelets.

How great would it be if you could identify another woman struggling w/ infertility? What a simple and inexpensive idea.

LOVE IT!!! :D
Me (Danielle) 30- ovulatory factor
DH 34- perfect swimmers!
TTC since Sep 2009
7 cycles of Clomid all BFN
2 hysteroscopic surgeries & multiple tests

Currently: on 3rd (& last) round of Femara
wannababy2011
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Apples85 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:02 pm

alright ladies...I picked up some of that thread at the store today :) I'll see what I can come up with and post a pic (if its not bad ;))

Warming up to TTC again!

My Ovulation Chart

Apples85
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Apples85 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:47 pm

ok...here it is!

I think it came out cute!

Warming up to TTC again!

My Ovulation Chart

Apples85
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby unaffected » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:13 am

Super cute, Apples!!! You should sell those on Etsy!! ;)
Me (Kara): 30 DH: 30 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Betas: 8dp6dt/14dpo - 124; 10dp6dt/16dpo - 317; 16dp6dt/22dpo - 6,289; 23dp6dt/29dpo - 32,961
It's a boy!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby wannababy2011 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Wow!! That's so pretty!

Now I really want to make one for myself.
Me (Danielle) 30- ovulatory factor
DH 34- perfect swimmers!
TTC since Sep 2009
7 cycles of Clomid all BFN
2 hysteroscopic surgeries & multiple tests

Currently: on 3rd (& last) round of Femara
wannababy2011
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to General Infertility