Early losses/chemical pregnancies--what to do next?

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Early losses/chemical pregnancies--what to do next?

Postby kanuckchick » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:07 am

So I'm apparently (due to non-doubling betas) going to have chemical pregnancy #5 here. This one was more 'normal' than the previous 4 in that my temp went up nicely and I didn't have any bleeding, but that may be due to the progesterone. First beta at 14 DPO was 30, second 48 hours later was still 30.

I'm 36. I just don't know what to do anymore. Had a workup, diagnosed with unexplained infertility and probably have early losses due to chromosome issues with the aged eggs. Go away and try some more was the advice given.

I've been doing acupuncture, didn't drink after ovulation, I don't drink coffee/tea or smoke. Mild-moderate exercise, normal BMI.

Any suggestions? I have an appt with the fertility clinic here to discuss my next step. I'm losing hope and feel like time is also going to run out in the next few years.
Kirsten (36) and her Kiwi (36)
TTC since March, 2010
5 early losses/chemicals

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2df7df

kanuckchick
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby waitingtobemommy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:42 am

I'm sorry I cant be of more help to you, as my RE's also think that might be my situation. ANyways, my one bit of advice would be to speak with Dr. Sher from the Sher Institutes. I spoke to him during a free consult and he covered my background history and gave insight as to why I cant get pregnant/miscarried. He ordered a ton of labwork for me to have done and said he would speak to me once he received the results. He did say that a lot of women, and possibly me, have activated natural killer cells which fight off a pregnancy, just as they would fight off an illness such as a cold or flu. There is a test he ordered me to have done which will tell if these cells are activated. If they are, there's some treatment which can be done to deactivate these killer cells.

You can read more about it on his blog:
www.ivfauthority.com or his website www.haveababy.com

Good luck!
Me (Jen): 34, DH: 35
TTC #1 for 4.5 years
3 BFN IUI- 2011
1 BFP IUI- March 2011
1 BFP IVF- December 2011
1 BFP FET- May 2012
:angel: @ 5 weeks; March 2011
:angel2: @ 8 weeks; Jan. 2012-Trisomy 16

DS Owen Matthew born 1/17/13 via FET
Surprise natural BFP 8/3/14! EDD 4/10/15!
waitingtobemommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby goobermom » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:11 pm

i hope some other ladies chime in, as i have read some on here about ladies with clotting/blood disorders that contribute to early losses. my RE also watches by progesterone, which is needed to sustain a pregnany. i hope you get further information and recommendations when you return to the fertility clinic!!
me (34) husband (41)
son (14), spoiled cat
TTC since August '08
Clomid/IUI x3; Follistim/IUI x3
natural BFP- M/C :(
Low Vitamin D, High FSH
Letrozole, TI, progesterone, estrace- BFN (x4)
High FSH, RE recommending donor egg
End of our TTC journey???
goobermom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kanuckchick » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:59 am

Ya, I'm already on progesterone and low dose aspirin, and have had the thrombophilia workup. This sucks!!
kanuckchick
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby AnnaJuly » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:35 am

To cover some more bases:

See if you can get an autoimmune work-up - ANA, Antiphosphidal etc.

Get your thyroid checked and make sure the results are up to date. I had two docs using outdated guidlines. Anti-thyroid antibodies should be covered in an autoimmune work up.
AnnaJuly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babyhatch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:36 pm

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I know a definite answer and fixable problem makes it easier to deal with.

I just saw my RE for the first time last week and I have the anti-thyroid antibodies that AnnaJuly is referring to. I was NEVER tested for this by my OB. And you are doing the right thing by meeting with an RE. They will be very aggressive in helping you get and stay pregnant.

Good Luck!
ME 33
DH 32
Angel baby @ 5wks Oct 2010
1 (improperly medicated) Failed IUI
1st cycle: Clomid 25mg + tamoxifen 20 mg + ovidrel= BFP

1st Beta 12dpo- 83.4 Progesterone 38.7
2nd Beta 17 dpo- 1,126

Hashimoto's (Hypothyroidism) -50mg Synthroid
babyhatch
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby AnnaJuly » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:03 pm

babyhatch - selenium helps lower antithyroid antibodies. You can buy it in sups or one Brazil nut a day works :)
AnnaJuly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to General Infertility