Male factor infertility

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Male factor infertility

Postby Betti » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:05 am

Does DH have a low sperm count? Join and discuss your fears and experiences.
Stopped BCP end January 2012 = TTC 15 months
Me - 28, DH - 29
Regular 30-31 day cycles
Insulin resistant but ovulating "like a machine" according to OBGYN and FS
DH has Azoospermia (0 sperm in semen) - initial diagnosis September 2012
Our only chance at a biological baby is through TESE/mTESE and IVF/ICSI
DH going for testicular biopsy in 2013/14 to see if they can find sperm - saving up money for it.
Betti
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: Male factor infertility

Postby Betti » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:09 am

As you can see in my profile, my husband was diagnosed with azoospermia (0 sperm count) 2 weeks ago. I am really struggling to find any information on the topic and would really like to start a thread where those whose DHs have fertility issues can discuss our problems, concerns, etc.

AFM, yesterday GF number 20 THIS YEAR announced her pregnancy. I am thrilled for her, but can't help to feel a sense of envy and loss.

Any joiners?!?!
Me - 28, DH - 29
Regular 30-31 day cycles
DH going for testicular biopsy in 2013/14 to see if they can find sperm - saving up money for it.
Betti
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby SaraElise » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Betti!

DH has had a vericocele pretty much for as long as he can remember. It causeed low testosterone as well as a low count. I knew there was a problem because we were together for 5 years and I had never been on any type of birth control. We started trying to get pregnant and of course nothing happened. We were referred to an RE who suggested a SA. DHs first analysis came back with just 14 sperm and only 4 were alive but barely moving. I did a lot of research and make him take a ton of natural supplements and he was put on clomid by his urologist. That was last November and I was pregnant by January. His count went from 4 to 40 million and the last one came back at over 80 million. I don't know if it was one single thing that worked or if it was a combination of everything he was on but his count did improve. I always share the natural supplements because they're so inexpensive to start off with. I made him take a Multi vitamin, zinc, Folic acid, vitamin c, l-carnitine and astragalus root. All can be purchased a any vitamin store.

As for your friend getting pregnant I totally understand. My SIL had a little one as well as several of my friends while we were trying. I felt the same way. Its totally normal, don't feel bad if you need to take time for yourself. Good luck!!
My Ovulation Chart

Me (Sara): 28 Normal, Unexplained Infertility, 50mg of Clomid to see if it will help!

DH (Bryan): 31 Diagnosed with varicocele and low testosterone. Normal count with low motility. Using Clomid to try and increase numbers. All tests normal as of Jan 2014!

June 2014: 50mg Clomid= BFN
July 2014: 50mg Clomid= BFN
August 2014: 100mg Clomid= BFN
September 2014: 100mg Clomid=BFN
October 2014: 100mg Clomid=BFN

Acupunture started October 2014

TTC #2 since May 2013

SaraElise
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby VPatel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi Betti,

This thread was a great idea!! Thank you for initiating it! :) How is everything with you right now?
xxx
Me: 25 yrs + Hubby: 28 yrs, TTC #1 --> HSG, Laparoscopy, Bloods and SA's all done Aug-Dec 2012.
- Unexplained Infertility -
3 IUI's (Feb-June 2013): Great follies and great swimmers but no baby..
IVF Aug 2013 - ET 28/8..tww time...
*Baby Dust to All*
VPatel
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Betti » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Hey girls

Thanks for joining!

DH and I have been especially close since we heard the news, we really try to support one another because both of us are really scared and sad that this had to happen to us. We each have our good and bad days but I guess that's normal.

We are really hoping that it's obstructive azoospermia, hormonal problems or a varicocele, since something can often be done in these cases. He had a testicular torsion as a small boy, as well as 2 corrections for retractile testes (one on each side) a bit later - that might be cause for an obstruction or hormonal problems. His brother and his wife are going through fertility treatment (have been the past year) and the former also had a severe varicocele and really low sperm count (but my SIL has severe PCOS and she's 37 already, so they are really struggling despite my BIL's successful varicocele surgery a while back).

Well here we are, (im)patiently waiting for DH's appointment with a urologist on October 15th. DH has asked me to go with him for moral support (men aren't as used to their privates being fiddled with by doctors as we women are, hehe).

Sara, wow you're almost a mommy! That must be so exciting (and uncomfortable)! Really hope to join you sometime in the not-too-distant future. Let's hope my DH's problems can be fixed like yours were. Good luck with the last haul!
Me - 28, DH - 29
Regular 30-31 day cycles
Betti
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby VPatel » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:46 am

So happy to hear you and the hubby are close :) It is the best feeling in the world knowing that you are both in it together, good and bad! Even though others will support you there is nothing like your hubby being there for you! :)

Not long until your app with the urologist! My fingers are triple crossed for you that everything goes well! Don't be too concerned about the sperm count...with modern medicine as good as it is today, there are so so many choices and options now - you will get your little sticky bean! Don't worry! :)

Let me know if you need anything! xxxx
VPatel
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby vraklis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:06 pm

We just went through this too, discovering DH had a low sperm count, low morphology, low motility (2 million sperm, motility 13%, morphology 9%). It seemed to take forever to get into the urologist to diagnose the problem, but the day finally came last week. I was there with him. He was a little embarrassed to have a doc fondling his balls-lol! But he survived-it went fast. Be prepared to stand for ten minutes before the exam (I went ahead and stood with him for solidarity). Anyway, the urologist found no vericocele, which we were glad of b/c neither of us wanted him to have to go through a surgery. We are still waiting on the results of his blood test to see if low testosterone could be causing it and if so, the UR will prescribe clomid for men to boost both his sperm count and testosterone. I'm a little nervous that the blood test will come back normal b/c if it does, it will be up to us to raise his counts naturally, if that's possible. I know others have been able to conceive this way, as SaraElise did. She gives me hope. :)

DH and I have also grown closer through this, and I wish it was that way for every couple. It's so important to face infertility as a team and I'm glad you're doing that, and not playing the blame game.

Good luck--I hope they find something they can do for him! Chances are they can.
"Let your hope make you glad. Be patient in time of trouble and never stop praying." Romans 12:12

Me: 35 DH: 48
TTC since 2000
MF, delayed ovulation, low estrogen, luteal phase defect, low
DS conceived through first donor insemination 11/23/13
DIUI April 2015 - BFN, AF came 9DPO
DIUI with estrogen, Ovidrel, and progesterone 3/9/16
vraklis
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby snowgirl09 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:49 am

DH just had a SA done this morning. We are patiently awaiting the results. How long does it normally take to get results? Hoping and praying for the best!
snowgirl09
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Betti » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:50 am

Well my doc had bad news so I heard from him the same afternoon (my DH went the morning). But if you don't hear from the doc for a while, it's usually not very bad news, I would think.
Me - 28, DH - 29
Regular 30-31 day cycles
Betti
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby snowgirl09 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Betti - Thank you! I know this may not be too helpful but be thankful that you guys got checked out sooner than later. We have been ttc 3 years now...actively trying for 1 1/2 years. I wish we had been tested and discussed fertility treatments sooner than now. But we are heading down a path that is meant to lead us to children. We are both in our 30s and I know that is still somewhat young, but we still feel way behind everyone else. So try to keep the faith that your turn will come. It is just a matter of time and when it happens it will be wonderful!!
snowgirl09
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby VPatel » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:24 pm

showgirl09 - hope you got the results you wanted!!

we will all overcome these issues (or non-issues) at the right time :)
VPatel
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby snowgirl09 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 am

Thank you vpatel. I'll keep you posted. Still haven't heard from the doc.
snowgirl09
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SaraElise » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:28 pm

It took about a week for DH to get his results back.
My Ovulation Chart

Me (Sara): 28 Normal, Unexplained Infertility, 50mg of Clomid to see if it will help!

DH (Bryan): 31 Diagnosed with varicocele and low testosterone. Normal count with low motility. Using Clomid to try and increase numbers. All tests normal as of Jan 2014!

June 2014: 50mg Clomid= BFN
July 2014: 50mg Clomid= BFN
August 2014: 100mg Clomid= BFN
September 2014: 100mg Clomid=BFN
October 2014: 100mg Clomid=BFN

Acupunture started October 2014

TTC #2 since May 2013

SaraElise
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby vraklis » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:12 pm

An update on my situation-we called the urologist today b/c we waited two weeks without hearing anything back. Found out DH's testosterone is normal so there's no explanation for his low count and nothing they can do except for IVF. Well we aren't going that route so I'll let you know how it goes with using supplements only! This might be a long road and I probably won't have news for months and months but in 3 months I think we'll get another SA so we know if the supplements are doing anything. Good luck everyone and Betti and snowgirl, please update when you get your results! I'm hoping the best for you guys.
"Let your hope make you glad. Be patient in time of trouble and never stop praying." Romans 12:12

Me: 35 DH: 48
TTC since 2000
MF, delayed ovulation, low estrogen, luteal phase defect, low
DS conceived through first donor insemination 11/23/13
DIUI April 2015 - BFN, AF came 9DPO
DIUI with estrogen, Ovidrel, and progesterone 3/9/16
vraklis
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby snowgirl09 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:52 am

We're still waiting. I will probably call the lab this afternoon to make sure the results make it to my doctor. I will keep you posted!!
snowgirl09
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to General Infertility