Unexplained Infertility

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Unexplained Infertility

Postby freldo30 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:30 am

DH and I are on month 11 so while a month shy of officially being deemed this, my OB has already kind of put us in this category because we've been through all the testing and everything has come back clear (including EXCELLENT SA results). While no one wants to have something wrong with them I feel sometimes like being in the unexplained category is harder to deal with...at least for me. I know there's nothing anyone can do for us. I am so far beyond having hope at this point I am only hoping I can find some others out here in the same boat I can talk to. I've told my DH so many times that I'd like to just get back on BCP at this point because I'm tired of being disappointed (not to mention dealing with the cramps and migraines every month).
Me and DH: Both 31
TTC #1 since June 2012
Unexplained Infertility
June 2013: mc @ 5 wks
Moving on to letrozole after 3 failed Clomid/IUI cycles
freldo30
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: Unexplained Infertility

Postby ar_hoping » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Freldo, Did you have a TSH test done? I also have unexplained fertility, and after reading some posts on the boards I asked my Dr about testing my TSH and it came back as 9.44, which is pretty high and indicates low thyroid function, which can cause infertility. I have a test next week to confirm.. I hope in a way it is the same so I can get on meds and maybe this will finally be our answer. It it is I will be so happy, but also so mad that I didn't test sooner. My Dr didn't even mention this test. After my third cycle on Femera I asked about it and basically had to tell him I wanted it. Anyway, wondering if you have been tested.
32 yrs old, DH 37 years old
DS 3-1/2 yrs old conceived naturally, 1st mo TTC
Missed M/C after 5 mo TTC, found out at 9 wk US
Now 15 months TTC naturally, 2 months on Femara, trigger & progesterone.
ar_hoping
Friend

Postby choobey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Freldo...I understand exactly what you mean by being in the unexplained category as being the hardest to deal with. At least if there was something wrong, you could either work on correcting the issue or have peace and closure with your ttc journey. Not having any answers is like leaving you in a suspended, confused state. :hugs: I agree with ar_hoping that you should have your thyroid checked. But, I actually discovered the other day that TSH isn't the only thyroid test that you should get. You can have perfectly normal TSH levels, and still have a thyroid condition. I can't remember the exact names, it was something like T3 and T4 (or something like that), which can be causing you issues. I'll find the link. But, TSH is a very important first step. I was also reading about unexplained infertility and how, in a lot of cases, there is an underlying medical condition that is causing it, but is not usually tested for by gynos/RE's. Most of them seemed as if they could be very treatable. Celiac disease seemed to be towards the top of the list. Many women don't even know they have it. But, there were quite a few and, like I mentioned, are not routinely tested for. I'm not trying to give you false hope, and I obviously don't even know if any of what I said could be what is causing your struggle. But, it is definitely something to keep in mind and possibly explore further.
Amanda: 34: DOR, POF, LPD.
DH: 41: Concentration: 58 mil. Motility: 38% Volume: 1/2 ml Morph: less than 3%
TTC: Month #41
Chemical 7/12
Chemical 11/12
8/29: IUI #1 100 mg Clomid and Ovidrel...BFN but left me with a 19mm cyst on left ovary :-(
September: IUI #2 Follistim and Ovidrel.... BFN
3/7: RE appt to begin IVF action plan!
Insurance is requiring 1 more medicated IUI before starting IVF.
IVF #1 to begin in April 2014, immediately following IUI #3 failure.
3/8: per RE, starting 600 mg daily CoQ10, first time using
IUI #3: 3/18 starting Gonal-F injections, Endometrin
3/22: trigger
3/24: final IUI
4/4: BFP!
4/8: 15dpiui beta 420
4/10: 17dpiui beta 785
4/14: 21dpiui final beta 2,885!
4/18: 1st u/s! 1 beautiful sac and fetal pole seen!
4/25: 2nd u/s, saw the beautiful heartbeat!
choobey
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shellsbellsxx » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:03 am

Yep i'm in that category too :doh:

Like you've said, if there is something broken you can at least try and fix it, but when nothing is broken and it's still not happening it can be very frustrating.

Chooby - you have short cycles like me, i have a 10 day LP which i think causes my problems have you tried Vitmain B complex 100mg? (not just B6) this is my 2nd cycle back on it (i came off it when i had my testing redone so it didn't mask anything that could be fixed with proper meds) and i'm currently CD25... 2 days more than usual! (Yes i've tested lol nothing but shadows which i think are the antibody strip).

I only have half a thyroid now for 12 years, my levels are very much 'normal' but my last one it dropped even further to 1.12.... and having read about the vit b Complex helping thyroid issues too, double bonus as around 1 is ideal for TTC it was previously 1.78.

Might be worth a shot if you've not tried that yet? x
Me:37 DH:43
LTTTC #1 for 13 years
(16.10.12)... Diagnosis - 'Unexplained Infertility'
:doh:
Short 22/23 day cycles, LPD- 10days
23rd September 2013 - BFP - MC 5wks 2 dys 1st Oct '13

6th May '14 6th and final clomid cycle 2-6 50mg - :bfp: (8/9dpo)

7th July '14 - ultrasound #1 @ 9+1 - TWINS! 2 beating hearts :hb: 9+3 :hb: 8+6
31st July '14 - ultrasound #2 @12+4 - 2 beating hearts and bouncing babies 13+4 :hb: & 13+2 :hb: measuring a week ahead!
19th Sept '14 - 20+5 Baby A :future baby boy: & Baby B :future baby boy: - All looks perfect!

14th January 2015 my Babies were born - Samuel Stuart 6lb 5oz and Oliver Michael 5lb 2oz

shellsbellsxx
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AnaH » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:59 am

Hi Freldo,
I completely agree with you, unexplained infertility is soooo very hard. I think all infertility is equally devastating, and I don’t think any one person’s struggle is harder than anyone else’s, but somehow knowing month after month that there might just be a tiny chance it will happen, only to be heartbroken every time, is pretty damn awful.

When my husband and I were first diagnosed with unexplained infertility, I refused to believe that they wouldn’t be able to find a way to fix me and I went in search of a second and even a third opinion. I had a load more tests done but I didn’t get a different answer. Every single medical professional we spoke to (and there were many) told us to try IVF. Eventually, after quite a few very determined baby-making months, we gave in and sought out an excellent IVF clinic. It was the best decision we ever made. Yes, it is eye-wateringly expensive and yes, it is painfully invasive and yes, I was a complete wreck throughout the whole thing but I did get pregnant! On the first go too and I truly never thought that would happen. I really didn’t. Sadly, I lost my twin girls when I was 16 and a half weeks pregnant. However, the loss in no way related to IVF or infertility and I don’t regret my pregnancy at all; I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Those few months of pregnancy were the happiest in my entire life.

So, don’t despair. There is hope. You may not see how you will get there now but, if you choose, IVF is one way to help those with unexplained infertility to achieve the dream!

Best wishes and good luck in your baby-making future.
Me: All tests normal DH: Perfect SA
Together: Unexplained infertility
October 2010 to July 2012- TTC with no assistance, all cycles BFN
July 2012 - Monitored Clomid cycle. Good response but still BFN
August -September 2012- First IVF cycle, finally a BFP. Identical twin girls
December 2012 - Lost the twins at 16 weeks and 5 days
March-April 2013 - First FET, BFN
May-June 2013 - Second IVF cycle - BFP but, sadly, a blighted ovum. D&C 8w3d
October-November 2013 - Third IVF cycle - BFP

http://inmygardengrow.blogspot.co.uk
AnaH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby freldo30 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:13 am

Thank you for all your responses. Yes, I had the TSH, T3 and T4 tests and all came back normal.

choobey- that's what's so frustrating. At this point I feel like whatever is causing my infertility is not going to be found by my OB or RE. It could be so many things and most of them are probably easy to fix. I just wish there was one test they could do to test every possible thing, don't you?

Ana - I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard it would be to go through everything what you have been through. I agree, while IVF sounds like a not-fun process and DH and I are at this point hoping to not have to go that route, it is definitely not out of the question. I wish you loads of luck in getting another bfp!
Me and DH: Both 31
TTC #1 since June 2012
Unexplained Infertility
June 2013: mc @ 5 wks
Moving on to letrozole after 3 failed Clomid/IUI cycles
freldo30
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby AnaH » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:28 am

Hey Freldo,

Thanks for your kind words. Just wanted to say, don't let my description put you off IVF. Once you get the hang of all the meds, scans and stuff it really isn't so bad. The best part about doing IVF, apart from getting pregnant of course, is that you really feel like you are doing something constructive. I am back on the IVF-train this month and doing a frozen embryo transfer during a natural cycle (that may be Greek to you at the moment but basically I am having an embryo, one that we made earlier, put back after I ovulate without using any meds). I am beyond excited at the prospect of being reunited with my little baby embryo!

If you ever need more info feel free to drop me a line or lurk around the IVF boards - you'll learn loads!

I hope you never need to go down the IVF route and you have your own natural miracle very soon. :goodluck1:
Me: All tests normal DH: Perfect SA
Together: Unexplained infertility
October 2010 to July 2012- TTC with no assistance, all cycles BFN
July 2012 - Monitored Clomid cycle. Good response but still BFN
August -September 2012- First IVF cycle, finally a BFP. Identical twin girls
December 2012 - Lost the twins at 16 weeks and 5 days
March-April 2013 - First FET, BFN
May-June 2013 - Second IVF cycle - BFP but, sadly, a blighted ovum. D&C 8w3d
October-November 2013 - Third IVF cycle - BFP

http://inmygardengrow.blogspot.co.uk
AnaH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby unaffected » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:56 am

Hi Freldo.

I'm sorry that you are unexplained, because I know how tough that diagnosis is. My DH and I tried for five years before we finally conceived via IVF. We were diagnosed as unexplained, and all of our tests came out perfect (SA, HSG, all my hormone levels, etc). Absolutely nothing was a red flag.

One thing I did was contact the Sher Institutes and had a free phone consultation. The Sher clinics specialize in immunology issues, and after your phone consult, they will recommend some testing. My insurance covered 80% of it at the time. They recommend a lab, and sometimes an answer could be found. For me, I had elevated natural killer cells and antiphospholipid antibodies. My RE never would have tested for these things. And while I'm still not completely certain these things kept me from conceiving, I'll never really know.

Here is a link to the contact page on the Sher website: http://haveababy.com/general-inquiry/

You can email any of the locations and ask to set up a phone consultation. I would double check to make sure they are still free, but I think they are. And you are under no obligation to pursue treatment with the Sher Institute after your consultation.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope that your dreams come true very soon.

Oh, and one other thing I'll mention. You may or may not be ready to pursue IVF, but when we finally did, we did so through a clinical trial in NYC. The cost of treatment ($20,000+) was completely paid for, we were only responsible for paying for meds (which my insurance covered) and travel. Just thought I'd share the link to that as well, in case you or someone else reading is interested. Finding that study was the best thing that ever happened to me, because it brought me my little boy. https://www.ivfclinicaltrial.com/
Me (Kara): 30 DH: 30 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Betas: 8dp6dt/14dpo - 124; 10dp6dt/16dpo - 317; 16dp6dt/22dpo - 6,289; 23dp6dt/29dpo - 32,961
It's a boy!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby clarey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:22 am

Hi there
I'm new to these boards and also have unexplained infertility. My hubby and I have been TTC for almost 3 years now, on and off. He was taking medication that lowered his sperm count and motility, but now he has stopped that his levels have gone back to normal, but we're still not getting pregnant. It's so frustrating, especially as every single one of my friends have had babies in the last year, so I'm spending all of my time with babies and talking about babies, but being unable to have a baby!!!
We desperately wanted to get pregnant naturally but we've now got to the point now where we are exploring other options, and we're looking into IUI. Meeting the Dr next week to talk through possibilities. I'm keeping my fingers and toes tightly crossed that it will come to something and we can start to do something positive to address the problems.
Good luck everyone. I hope it happens for us all sometime soon!
Me and DH: Both 34
TTC since July 2010
Regular 28-31 day cycles
All tests normal. Unexplained infertility.
clarey

Postby skippyloo163 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:04 pm

I also was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. I am a bit of a planner and list maker so this is a really hard diagnosis for me. I always face all my issues head on but this I have very little control over. I am in no financial state to keep doing procedures so that won't be an option until June-ish and we will be going straight to IVF.

The month I finally did get pregnant I had completely given up. My dog was diagnosed with aggressive lymphoma and my sister was planning a whole wedding all in one month. I just did not have time to care about getting pregnant at that point...Low and behold 3 weeks later +++ test! Unfortunately, I lost my son at 16 weeks due to chorioamnionitis, a bad uterine infection.

Do what you have to do to get pregnant but do not let it steal years from you in the meantime. This is a great place for support on the days you can't stop thinking about it or are having trouble coping. Try to live each month like it may be the last chance to relax for the next 9ish months.
Me - 29
DH- 32
TTC #1 since Sept. '07
Diagnosed unexplained infertility
3 rounds of clomid '09 BFNs
3 rounds of clomid & IUI - March to May '12 BFN
First BFP Ever!!!- Natural Cycle - Sept. '12
Baby Boy born into Heaven at 16 weeks - Nov. 26 '12 Image
D&C Dec. 23 '12
TTC baby #2 to raise on earth since Feb. '13

My Chart ~ http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2e203f
My blog ~ http://thepursuitofpicklesandicecream.weebly.com/
skippyloo163
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby choobey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Skippy...I am so truly sorry for your loss. :hugs: I know there is nothing that I can say that will make you feel better. But, I'm praying you get your rainbow baby very, very soon. :hugs:

Unaffected...thank you SO much for the link to the IVF clinic!! I'm still not positive yet whether I could even be a candidate for IVF, but if I am, I will definitely be contacting them! Thank you!!
Amanda: 34: DOR, POF, LPD.
DH: 41: Concentration: 58 mil. Motility: 38% Volume: 1/2 ml Morph: less than 3%
TTC: Month #41
Chemical 7/12
Chemical 11/12
8/29: IUI #1 100 mg Clomid and Ovidrel...BFN but left me with a 19mm cyst on left ovary :-(
September: IUI #2 Follistim and Ovidrel.... BFN
3/7: RE appt to begin IVF action plan!
Insurance is requiring 1 more medicated IUI before starting IVF.
IVF #1 to begin in April 2014, immediately following IUI #3 failure.
3/8: per RE, starting 600 mg daily CoQ10, first time using
IUI #3: 3/18 starting Gonal-F injections, Endometrin
3/22: trigger
3/24: final IUI
4/4: BFP!
4/8: 15dpiui beta 420
4/10: 17dpiui beta 785
4/14: 21dpiui final beta 2,885!
4/18: 1st u/s! 1 beautiful sac and fetal pole seen!
4/25: 2nd u/s, saw the beautiful heartbeat!
choobey
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dazzyshahu » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:04 am

Hi friend, first of all I want to appreciate your courage to share your personal problem at this digital online platform. Today we are living in digital world. It is good signal that you are aware about advanced technology that help you to overcome your problem on behalf of others life experience. I am one of the lucky women who got this unforgettable moment in my life. It is good signal that you are aware about your health. It is right time to make appropriate planning to handle this unexplained infertility problem with advanced medical research based treatment available in medical history. I want to forget those days of my life that are full of emptiness to my unexplained infertility problem. It is very important to have real bonding with your husband to understand each other physical needs and emotion very well to make appropriate balance in your marriage life to handle this difficult situation with collectively.
I want to suggest you some powerful method that help you to overcome this horrible problem in your life. I can understand your physical and mental stage at this time. You should handle this difficult situation with positive attitude towards life. You should give preference to proper understanding your body signal very well that is effective way to overcome all problems very easily. You should enhance eggs quality to conceive effectively with high hemoglobin level in your blood. You can easily maintain your body and mind in balance with powerful easy yoga and meditation posture. You should use positive affirmation to reduce negative effect on your body and mind to see sudden magic effect on your health. I hope my valuable suggestion guide you right path to convert your dream into reality.
dazzyshahu

Postby Kelly99 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:46 am

I’ve gone through hundreds of examinations but I still don’t know the reason of my infertility. My husband and me spent long 10 years ttc. We visited a lot of reproduction centers and fertility experts. Nothing helped us. We’ve gone through 3 rounds of IVF, which also failed. The only positive info we had was that my eggs were still valid. That’s why we have chosen the surrogacy. There are a lot of reasons of infertility. But sometimes it just happens. And no one can explain why. Unfortunately, we live in the world with an awful ecology and bad food. We are not physically active enough. This all can cause a lot of deseases including infertility. Keep talking to fertility experts and I hope you will hear positive news. Medicine is very powerful nowadays.
You know, dear, even if you are unable to conceive, you still can become a parent. Adoption and surrogacy are very popular nowadays. You just have to decide which option suits you better. For example my husband said that he is agains adoption. That’s why we had to look for a reproduction center, which offers surrogacy. All the preparations take a couple of months. Then the embryo can be transferred. We received a call with good news in 3 weeks after the embryo transfer. You know, surrogacy is not that hard. I thought I would be scared but everything was fine. We were spending a lot of time with our surrogate and I was sure that my baby was ok. Our son was born absolutely healthy and stayed under the doctor’s contor for a couple of days. Then we have taken him home.
I think you should discuss this option with your husband. I know that you are tired but try to stay positive. The result is worth waiting!
Kelly99
Friend

Postby phoebe » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:57 am

skippyloo163 wrote:
Do what you have to do to get pregnant but do not let it steal years from you in the meantime. This is a great place for support on the days you can't stop thinking about it or are having trouble coping. Try to live each month like it may be the last chance to relax for the next 9ish months.

Well said! We all should relax and stop thinking of our infertility. We all have a chance to get pregnant if we stay positive. There are a lot of reasons of infertility. Unfortunately, in some case we are unable to figure out why it happened to us. Stress and depression don't help to fix the situation. It is doing even worse. That's why, girls, let's support each other. Life is so unpredictable. We all have a chance to become parents. Medicine is developing so rapidly. Doctors offer IVF, surrogacy and lots of other types of treatment. We have to use every single chance to succeed. Let's don't give up. We will all be blessed with babies!
phoebe
Friend

Postby mimimama » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:51 am

Well said! We all should relax and stop thinking of our infertility. We all have a chance to get pregnant if we stay positive. There are a lot of reasons of infertility. Unfortunately, in some case we are unable to figure out why it happened to us. Stress and depression don't help to fix the situation. It is doing even worse. That's why, girls, let's support each other. Life is so unpredictable. We all have a chance to become parents. Medicine is developing so rapidly. Doctors offer IVF, surrogacy and lots of other types of treatment. We have to use every single chance to succeed. Let's don't give up. We will all be blessed with babies!

Agreed, stress and depression may even make the situation worse. Myself I know ladies, who conceived naturally after failed IVF-s or mcs. Baby dust to all
Me 31, DH 40. TTC 5 years. Unexplained infertility.
December 2015- IVF #1 BFN
May/June 2016- new doctor, IVF consultation in Gdansk Poland
October 2016- IVF #2 Invicta BFP!!!
mimimama
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Next

Return to General Infertility