Need info! AMH and hormone levels

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Need info! AMH and hormone levels

Postby *Hoping* » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:00 am

I need some help deciphering my test results. I am 27 and just got diagnosed with a condition called hypogonaditrophic hypogonadism and is due to being too thin. This has caused my LH and FSH to be low. My question is what does it mean to have low FSH and LH and also low AMH. Also is your AMH level something you can increase if it's low? My levels are:

At CD 14
FSH- 6
LH- 3
estradiol- 45
AMH- 0.726

Whatever anyone can tell me about AMH levels helps.

I'm having such a hard time thinking about anything else and it's driving me crazy. Next cycle we are trying letrozole (instead of clomid) and a trigger shot to induce ovulation. This will be the first thing we try before moving on to injectable hormones. Thanks for all your support ladies and the best wishes for all of you
*Hoping*
Friend

Re: Need info! AMH and hormone levels

Postby Mrs TTC » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:58 am

Hey I'm afraid I don't know. I've never been tested for that, but my FSH &LH Levels are super low, as aremy progesterone levels (which a crazy low apparently). I don't have periods at all though. Do you?
Big hugs to you and I hope you get some answers soon x
Started clomid 50mg on 18th June 14.
TTC #1 since December 2013
16th July 14 :bfp:
5th August 14 Emergency scan due to bleeding. Tiny heart is beating and measuring 6wk 5days. Phew!!
Mrs TTC
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby *Hoping* » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Thanks for responding! I do get periods now but when I first got off the pill I didn't for like 6 months. My naturopath put me on a supplement called vitex or chaste tree berry extract cause she thought it was a problem with my progesterone. That jump started my cycles to start with and messed them up the longer I took it (probably because my progesterone was too high). Now I just have really irregular cycles. I would look into the vitex if you have low progesterone. It's supposed to naturally up regulate your progesterone and help with fertility. Are you really thin or have had or have an eating disorder, or are an athlete? If so it might be the same as I have (hypo-hypo). Anyways I hope you get some answers as well and that we both have a BFP soon!
*Hoping*
Friend

Postby Mrs TTC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:38 am

Thank you :)
My weight is well within the normal range, though I do work hard to keep it down. I've never been thin, in fact quite the opposite! I think I have pcos (especially now I've had a scan and have cysts and one enlarged ovary) but because I manage my weight through healthy eating my dr says it's not that. Frustrating but hey. Thanks for the tip re vitex, I just started clomid so Ill read up on whether it can affect it. I hope you get answers and a BFP, actually...screw the answers lets just pray for BFPs!! Haha x
Started clomid 50mg on 18th June 14.
TTC #1 since December 2013
16th July 14 :bfp:
5th August 14 Emergency scan due to bleeding. Tiny heart is beating and measuring 6wk 5days. Phew!!
Mrs TTC
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Mandy429 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi Hoping: I'm not completely sure about cd 14 levels because mine are usually tested at cd 3, but maybe I can give you some insight...
Your FSH of 6 would be normal for a CD 3 but should probably be higher at CD 14, although I'm not sure how much. Your body should naturally increase FSH up until you ovulate since it is the hormone that stimulates follicle growth.

LH is the hormone that causes ovulation. Again yours is normal for a CD 3 but should be increasing by CD 14 so perhaps you are not ovulating or you haven't had a surge yet this cycle.

Your Estrodial would be much higher too if you had growing follicles because the maturing eggs inside the follicles are what releases the estrogen.

Your AMH is a level that stays the same no matter what CD you are on. The lower the AMH, the less eggs you have left in reserve. This is my problem, I have severe DOR (diminished ovarian reserve) for my age. At the age of 35 a normal AMH should be above 1.0. Nothing can be done to increase the amount of eggs you have, but there are things you can do to improve the quality of what you have left.

Even though all of this sounds discouraging, there has got to be a way to jumpstart your cycles. Do a little more research to see if others that have the same diagnosis as you have had success and what they did. You may also want to try acupuncture which can get your body back into balance. Throughout this process I have learned that you can't sit back and let the doctors be in complete charge of your fertility because unfortunately they don't always know all of the answers.

I wish you the best of luck!
Me 39; DH 41; TTC #1 since June 2011
Sept 2012: Diagnosed w/ POF/DOR FSH 20, AMH .1
Jan 2013: CD 3 FSH 5.8, AMH .34
Feb & April 2013: medicated IUI's failed
IUI #3 6/24/13; 3 follies; BFP 7/5/13! 14 DPO Beta 406 /16 DPO Beta 968
MC 12w3d 9/5/13
IUI #4 11/15/13; 4 follies; BFN
2/16/14: Start IVF Microdose Flare; converted to IUI #5 due to 1 dominant follicle; BFN
4/12/14: Start IVF Antagonist Protocol with Estrogen Priming; converted to IUI #6 due to dominant follie; BFN
June 2014: IVF Antagonist with Estrogen Priming, ER 2 eggs retrieved, both fertilized with ICSI;
3 day ET 2 grade A embies; BFN
3/15: IVF embryo banking with Dr Sher 1 snow baby so far
5/15: Second banking cycle with Dr Sher
Mandy429
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby *Hoping* » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:24 am

Thank you so much for all the info! I have been doing ovulation tests (ones that tests the LH surge) and they just now, at CD25 say im ovulating :/. I have been trying to research my condition and unfortunately there's not much out there on it, but I'm still looking!!! Acupuncture is a great idea, and I have made my first appointment for this week and am hoping that it will help my body gear up for my next cycle which includes the start of fertility meds. I know you said that we can't do anything to increase our ovarian reserve but there are things we can do to increase the quality? I would do anything right now if it helped :). Thanks again,
Hoping
*Hoping*
Friend

Postby PandG » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:41 am

Hi Everyone, I’m new to twoweekswait and wanted to join to see if anyone else is in the same situation as I and my DH are in. My DH and I are married three years this coming September and have been actively trying every month to get pregnant for the last year, which has been a rollercoster of emotions in itself. Two weeks ago I got my first blood test done, the results of which showed that my FSH level is very high (and concerning as my GP put it) at 15.1 when it should be less than 10. I have got my AMH test done last Monday, which has been sent away and I am awaiting the results. From the discussions with my GP I am just so worried. She then said once I receive the results of my AMH test this will lead to two roads either medication or IVF. Everyone I am just so worried, I never thought we would be discussing the possibility of IVF and the thought that the one thing my DH and I want more than anything in the world that it may not happen for us. Hopefully we should get the results back next Thursday/Friday. I can’t talk to anyone about this, I tried to talk to my mom about it but she said that it could be worse and I could have worse problems, but this is the worst thing I can imagine right now. She also decided to say that she had enough grandchildren and didn't want any more. My DH is amazing, and supportive but I don’t want to upset him any more than he is already. I just hope everything will be ok. Is anyone else in this situation? :(
Me: 34 (Abigail)
Hubby: 34 (Patrick)

TTC # 07/2013

lt3f.lilypie.com/wBJwp1.png
PandG
Friend

Postby queenypink » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:42 am

Hi everyone - So, I'm going to start of by saying my body is crazy. It for some reason likes to be unique, and doesn't follow a lot of the typical pattrens.

For example, and specifically my FSH/AMH results.

I was tested on day 3 (I think....) and my FSH level came back at 12. My doc was concerned about this too considering my age (at the time 30). I freaked out, and pretty much went through the five classic stages of grief. Anyways, we followed up with the AMH, and my AMH results came back at 1.6 - according to my docs (here in Canada) I am totally typical, exactly in the middle of the average range.

So, even though my FSH was crazy high, my AMH was normal.

I've asked the doc about this, and they don't really have a reason for this. My doc said that it just tells them that my FSH levels are unreliable and for testing purposes, can't be used. If I need repeat labs, I will just have to use AMH levels.
Me: 33 Yrs. Cervical cancer SURVIVOR! Treated w/radical trachelectomy, lymphadenectomy & circlage. Sucky FSH (12) & AMH w/in the normal/low range
DH: 38 Yrs. SA came back low-ish
Official Dx: Unexplained

Five unmedicated IUI's - All Neg.
| 29.03.14 | 29.04.14 | 23.06.14 | 22.07.14 | 19.08.14 |

IVF #1: Baseline Mar 17/15
ER Mar 30th -- 15 eggies collected, 13 mature, 10 fertilized naturally
ET Apr 4th -- 4AA Blastocyst Embaby <3
6 perfect frosty day 6 blasts/expanded blasts

BFP at 8dp5dt
Beta 10dp5dt April 14th - 179
Beta #2 12dp5dt Apr 16th - 519
Beta #3 16dp5dt Apr 20th - 2698
Beta #4 20dp5dt Apr 24th - 8337
DD born Oct '15 at 32wks gest. She's perfect!

FET #1: May 2/17 BFN
FET #2: June 6/17

BFP 8dp5dt
Beta 10dp5dt - 498
Beta 12dp5dt - 1473
Beta 19dp5dt - 11 430
queenypink
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby Mandy429 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:17 am

My FSH was 20 and when tested again was in the normal range and last test it was 5. All tests were day 3. I have severely low AMH levels. Unfortunately they don't fluctuate so it's no good for me. Good luck to you!
Me 39; DH 41; TTC #1 since June 2011
Sept 2012: Diagnosed w/ POF/DOR FSH 20, AMH .1
Jan 2013: CD 3 FSH 5.8, AMH .34
Feb & April 2013: medicated IUI's failed
IUI #3 6/24/13; 3 follies; BFP 7/5/13! 14 DPO Beta 406 /16 DPO Beta 968
MC 12w3d 9/5/13
IUI #4 11/15/13; 4 follies; BFN
2/16/14: Start IVF Microdose Flare; converted to IUI #5 due to 1 dominant follicle; BFN
4/12/14: Start IVF Antagonist Protocol with Estrogen Priming; converted to IUI #6 due to dominant follie; BFN
June 2014: IVF Antagonist with Estrogen Priming, ER 2 eggs retrieved, both fertilized with ICSI;
3 day ET 2 grade A embies; BFN
3/15: IVF embryo banking with Dr Sher 1 snow baby so far
5/15: Second banking cycle with Dr Sher
Mandy429
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Return to General Infertility