Why can you get af without ovulation?

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Why can you get af without ovulation?

Postby kazzacamz » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Hey,

My cycles are normally 50 days long, so I have interpreted it as I skip ovulation on the first cycle and ovulate on the second. I think this cause I have one good ovary and one bad so I guess most time Its just my good one doing most of the work. Occasionally I get a shorter cycle and I think that is when my bad ovary actually chips in.

Recently though, I have had three cycles all short for me (about 35 days), however the second cycle I didn't ovulate, but I still had af at the time I would if I had ovulated. I was just wondering, do you think the bleed I had after that cycle is a good thing, like refreshing my lining for my next cycle? I guess I am just trying to see some good light to the fact I had a full cycle, from af to af with no ovulation.

Also does anyone know what might cause I af even though you don't ovulate?
kazzacamz
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: Why can you get af without ovulation?

Postby kitsapgirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:42 pm

You can get some bleeding when the lining gets too thick to support itself, but it is not a true period if you did not ovulate, because AF is regulated by hormones. Without ovulation you wouldn't have the hormones necessary to have a period. That is my understanding of it.
Me- 32
DH-31
2 wonderful fur babies!
TTC since June 3, 2013
Currently undergoing fertility testing- DH extremely low motility, me- possibly blocked left tube (but RE is more concerned about motility right now)

Imagehttp://www.countdowntopregnancy.com/tickers/ttc-journey-1370235600z27z1z0z1z4z5z0z5-7-1-0.png[/img][/url]
kitsapgirl
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby kazzacamz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:01 pm

I do understand what your saying, and definitely understand that it is not a 'true' af, more like a breakthrough bleed like you get on bc.

But I guess what I don't understand is that, it was one of my shorter ever cycles and I go much longer without any bleeding, and the bleed was more like a normal period (not spotting which I have always assumed to be from lining not thick enough). So it doesn't make sense for it to be my lining to be too thick. So I can't help but to wonder what other causes there may be that might result in bleeding without ovulation. I imagine it could be some other wacko hormonal thing.
kazzacamz
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby kitsapgirl » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:51 am

How do you know you didn't ovulate?
Me- 32
DH-31
2 wonderful fur babies!
TTC since June 3, 2013
Currently undergoing fertility testing- DH extremely low motility, me- possibly blocked left tube (but RE is more concerned about motility right now)

Imagehttp://www.countdowntopregnancy.com/tickers/ttc-journey-1370235600z27z1z0z1z4z5z0z5-7-1-0.png[/img][/url]
kitsapgirl
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby kazzacamz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:17 pm

I bbt and my chart was flat. Not even a single sign of o.
kazzacamz
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby kitsapgirl » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:53 pm

Do you use OPK's?
Me- 32
DH-31
2 wonderful fur babies!
TTC since June 3, 2013

kitsapgirl
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby kazzacamz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:28 pm

I try to use opks. I can ovulate anywhere from day 20 to day 40, and don't really want to use opks for 20-30 days straight trying to spot ovulation, partly cause doing that long would annoy me and too, even though you can get opks, doing them that long all the time would definitely chew into money. So I try to use them when I get other signs, like ewcm or increase in labido. Using those as an indication to start testing, I generally mange to time my opks to catch the surge, occasionally gotten it wrong, but mostly right.

That cycle though, I didn't even get any indications. I think I might of once had ewcm so i tested but it was negative. No increase in labido. And when "af" arrived, it was a total surprise because I normally feel cramping for the week leading into it plus a bit moody and tender breasts. And I normally get cramp during af, but I didn't have anything.
kazzacamz
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby kitsapgirl » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:16 am

Man, that sounds like a pain in the @ss! I feel so bad for everyone with irregular cycles. I'm actually not entirely sure what's up with me this cycle either. I didn't track anything, because DH had an SA right when I was supposed to O, and you can't BD 3 days before, so I figured we were out. We did BD on CD 14, and I usually O CD 16-17, so I guess there's a slight chance. I didn't get any CM at all, and now AF is supposed to start Sunday and I have yet to have any PMS symptoms. I usually get really sore BB's for about a week in advance. I guess I'll just have to wait and see! Time reveals all eventually.
Me- 32
DH-31
2 wonderful fur babies!
TTC since June 3, 2013

kitsapgirl
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby kazzacamz » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Yep irregularity is annoying. Well actually only while ttc, otherwise it is kind of a blessing, only getting af every two instead of every month. Well that is if the cycles are longer.

I hate the idea of not knowing what my body is doing. The unknown frustrates me and I am super glad I started bbt. Before than I use to always wonder if I was pregnant cause my periods always felt longer than the last. However back then it was cause I wasn't ready to be preggy and would get worried. Now that I bbt, I feel like I at least know when I will get my af, well I get a two week notice and I love that, better then the full unknown and just relying on pms symptoms. BBT allows me to know when and if I should start to wonder if I am preggy.

Have you started to get any symptoms yet? Maybe you might o a little later and you won't miss your chance?
kazzacamz
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby kitsapgirl » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:16 am

AF was due yesterday and hasn't shown up yet. I have a little BB tenderness, and some light cramping, so she will probably show up today, but you never know!
Me- 32
DH-31
2 wonderful fur babies!
TTC since June 3, 2013

kitsapgirl
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby randapanda » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Yeah I hear you on irregularity. My period before my last was normal bleeding but MIA for 84 days! I sm used to thst sometimes but ttc is so difficult when so. I am a bit heavy but this last period I almost did a
dance to being so glsd to see her lol.
randapanda
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to General Infertility