Laparoscopy?

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Laparoscopy?

Postby cbusch87 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:47 pm

We just got the news that IUI #3 was another BFN so now we're gearing up for our 4th and last IUI. My RE is letting us try an injectable cycle but mentioned we should start thinking about doing a laparoscopy soon – either before IUI #4 or after IUI #4. It sounds like it's our choice of when but if we do IUI #4 and get another BFN, then we have to do the laparoscopy before any further treatment (we'd go for IVF).

I'm actually really terrified to have the laparoscopy done as I've never had surgery before. I honestly didn't think it would come to this... 5 years of TTC and failing because of no sperm, I thought for sure (as did my Dr's) since everything else with me has checked out as normal that surely we'd get pregnant within a few IUI's.

I don't have any family history of endo or symptoms of endo, besides some pain/cramping with periods. But isn't that normal? I don't have a high pain tolerance at all and honestly, the worst day of my period (CD 1) I take a few advil and am fine. My periods aren't heavy – days 1 and 2 are the heaviest but I'll only need 3 tampons for each of those days then it turns light/spotting for the next few days where all I need is a pantyliner.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide when to do the laparoscopy and would like to hear anyone's experiences with it. Was it painful? How long did it take to recover from it? Did you have any endo symptoms? Has the procedure helped any?

Thanks in advance!
Married in 2007
TTC since Fall 2009
Me: 27
– All tests have been normal
DH: 30 – Azoospermia (0 sperm count, SCO syndrome)
4 failed IUI's

IVF : Nov 2014
2 blastocysts transferred 11/8! 5 frosties.
:bfp: 11/13(5dp5dt) : BFP 5dp5dt!!
Beta #1 (8dp5dt) : 204
Beta #2 (10dp5dt) : 565
Beta #3 (12dp5dt) : 1,200
7 week ultrasound : Twins!
8 week ultrasound : Lost Baby A, Baby B still going strong
♥ Baby boy due 7/27/15 ♥

cbusch87
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Laparoscopy?

Postby maddy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:23 pm

I would do it. I had a Lap surgery last september. They found my ovaries encased in scar tissue and fat, my tubes also. I was a mess in side. Yes a HSG would have showed my tubes closed but it wouldnt have showed all the other scar tissue that I had going on.

Recovery was about 2 week in all for me. But I had alot of "rearranging" in there. Usually peple are good after a couple days.
maddy

Postby cbusch87 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:23 am

Thanks Maddy!
Married in 2007
TTC since Fall 2009
4 failed IUI's

♥ Baby boy due 7/27/15 ♥

cbusch87
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ChristineHow22 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi Christine,
I was going to comment on this in the IUI thread when you originally mentioned it, but then I just noticed this one.
I had a lap in April, and I was feeling the same hesitation. My RE suggested it after a medicated cycle that was meant to be an IUI but I was not responding. I, too, had no previous signs of endo, but we had already ruled almost everything else out and things still weren't happening. I also don't do well with surgery (had 2 hand surgeries as a teenager and did NOT do well with anesthesia or pain meds), and googling the procedure made me even more terrified! The failed cycle before the lap was probably my most emotional, because I was hoping I was just getting myself worked up for nothing and I would get a BFP and not need the surgery. :(
My lap went fairly quickly and the RE found mild endo. I had it on a Friday and went back to work the following Wednesday. I was very fortunate, however, to schedule it so I only had to work for 2 days and then had 10 days off for spring break. (I work in a school). I was moving slow on those 2 days and needed ice on my stomach by late afternoon. Sitting was especially uncomfortable, and I have several meetings on one of the days. It's tough to explain why you need to stand up at a meeting with people who have no idea what you're going through, but I blamed it on a bad back. :) I think my worst pain was actually in my shoulder, because that's where the gas that they use to open you up tends to travel and try to escape. I only took a high-dose acetaminophen for pain, because I'm allergic to codeine and am afraid to try anything similar. I could definitely tell when it was time to take more. I small pillow was my best friend for a couple weeks, and it made sleeping much more comfortable.
I still haven't had by BFP yet, but I do feel better knowing I fixed something that was contributing to the problem.

Good luck!!
Me -35
DH - 34 (good counts, but low(ish) motility)
TTC #1 since April 2013
(First ever BFP on 9/3 - M/C shortly after that with D&C)

3 rounds of Clomid and 7 IUI's with injectables under our belt before finally moving to IVF.

Feb/March IVF - Had to switch to IUI. (#8) - BFN
March/April IVF - :bfp: :smile:

Jackson Joseph was born on 1/6/16! Our lives are now complete. :D
ChristineHow22
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby cbusch87 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:30 am

Thanks for sharing your experience!! I'm going in early tomorrow morning for the surgery and while I'm still nervous, I'm also super curious to know what's going on in there. I've never had surgery so of course I've been googling which can be so calming and terrifying, depending on what I read! Haha.
Married in 2007
TTC since Fall 2009
4 failed IUI's

♥ Baby boy due 7/27/15 ♥

cbusch87
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby maddy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Good luck tomorrow, youll be in my thoughts! Keep us updated when you can :luck:
maddy

Postby cbusch87 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:37 am

It went well yesterday. I was really nervous but it helped to see my RE beforehand and ask him a few questions. He said we can try again with our next cycle so that made me feel motivated.

He told DH that besides a small amount of endo that they found and removed, everything looks like it should in there.

I'm really sore and tired still. The meds they gave me make a huge difference though!
Married in 2007
TTC since Fall 2009
4 failed IUI's

♥ Baby boy due 7/27/15 ♥

cbusch87
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby maddy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:27 am

So glad it went well! Also I found that sleeping upright with some pillows helped the shoulder pains
maddy

Postby ChristineHow22 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:15 pm

So glad to hear your surgery went well Christine! Hopefully, getting rid of that little bit of endo will make a big difference!
Me -35
DH - 34 (good counts, but low(ish) motility)
TTC #1 since April 2013
(First ever BFP on 9/3 - M/C shortly after that with D&C)

3 rounds of Clomid and 7 IUI's with injectables under our belt before finally moving to IVF.

Feb/March IVF - Had to switch to IUI. (#8) - BFN
March/April IVF - :bfp: :smile:

Jackson Joseph was born on 1/6/16! Our lives are now complete. :D
ChristineHow22
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Danaa » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:22 pm

I had a diagnostic laparoscopic last month,doctor found some adhesions right tube blocked,but the surgery was a succes,very easy procedure,i recovered in few days,I could of gone home 4 h after the surgery.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ruchimalhotra » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:18 am

They will give ansthesia before doing laproscopic surgery. There will be only small incision in your body. Recovery time is aslo very less. Most probably, you can go home that day itself.
ruchimalhotra

Return to General Infertility