New requirements from RE

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

New requirements from RE

Postby goody5 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:40 am

I went to see a new RE yesterday. I'm very overwhelmed by how many appointments and proceeders I need done. My RE is 2 hours away, I'm looking at having to drive down there several times a week. I also need to see a nutritionist and a maternal fetal consultant. I'm confused at what exactly the maternal fetal consultant does? It's for high risk pregnancies, does that mean I'll be high risk?
Me (Sarah): 26 DH: 29
Trying for #1 since February 2012
October 2013 Diagnosed with PCOS
6 failed Clomid cycles
Metformin 2000mg
August 2014- HSG- tubes are clear!
October- 2.5mg femara CD 3-7 = no response, bumped up to 5mg CD 15-19. Trigger Shot on CD 22- BFN. IUI cancelled.
November- 5mg Femara CD 3-7, Ovidrel Trigger @ CD14
IUI #1 - Nov. 16- BFN
December- 5 mg Femara CD 3-7, 81 mg Baby Asprin CD 1-CD12, Ovidrel trigger CD 12
IUI #2- Dec. 14- 12/25 BFP!!!! Christmas Miracle!!!
Beta #1- 118
Beta #2- 246
Beta #3- 4,659!!

goody5
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Re: New requirements from RE

Postby queenypink » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:54 am

Hi Goody - I'll share a little of my experience hoping that it helps a little, though I live in Canada. Things may be a little different here.

So, like you, my fertility doc/clinic is two hours away. Super shitty when you work a typical business schedule (M-F, 8:30-4:30). Currently DH and I are doing IUI. So, before O (usually about a week) I have to start monitoring everything with bloodwork. I usually go in about 3-4 times in a week to get my levels monitored for my surge. Luckily I am about a 5 minute walk from the hospital in my town. It opens at 7am, which means I go at 6:15 (beat the lineup), and have plenty of time to get my test, walk home, and get to work. So, I'm lucky that I dont' have to take any time off for this. Once my labs come back indicating a surge, I have to be ready to go down the next day (rarely that day) for the IUI procedure. This is usually a few hours considering DH has to produce his sample there, time for the wash, and time for the actual procedure.

I am really lucky that it only takes usually one day of sick time for work, so it hasn't really caused much of an issue (though it's challenging to have no notice and work two work schedules around that).

I've also had to see maternal fetal medicine - maybe the same thing as you? Anyways, I did have to meet with them specifically because I will be a high risk pregnancy. They talked to me about what my pregnancy would look like, and potential risks. Very informative. It definitely isn't standard here to meet with one - I think that would be a question to ask the RE for sure. And, if you are high risk, they should definitely be talking to you about that rather than leaving you in the dark! I would even call the RE's office and ask if it's standard to refer all patients. You never know...

I didn't have to meet with a nutritionist, though I kinda wish I could! I would love to know if I'm eating something that's hindering my chances.

Now... If DH and I decide to go down the IVF route, that's gonna change things. Thats about a week of monitoring through U/S which can only be done at the clinic, and a period of a week in our big city (4 hours away) for egg retrieval, etc. I'm planning (if need be, but praying we don't get that far) to use vacation time to work half days on the week of monitoring, and sick time for my week away. And I'm praying my work is supportive of everything...
Me: 33 Yrs. Cervical cancer SURVIVOR! Treated w/radical trachelectomy, lymphadenectomy & circlage. Sucky FSH (12) & AMH w/in the normal/low range
DH: 38 Yrs. SA came back low-ish
Official Dx: Unexplained

Five unmedicated IUI's - All Neg.
| 29.03.14 | 29.04.14 | 23.06.14 | 22.07.14 | 19.08.14 |

IVF #1: Baseline Mar 17/15
ER Mar 30th -- 15 eggies collected, 13 mature, 10 fertilized naturally
ET Apr 4th -- 4AA Blastocyst Embaby <3
6 perfect frosty day 6 blasts/expanded blasts

BFP at 8dp5dt
Beta 10dp5dt April 14th - 179
Beta #2 12dp5dt Apr 16th - 519
Beta #3 16dp5dt Apr 20th - 2698
Beta #4 20dp5dt Apr 24th - 8337
DD born Oct '15 at 32wks gest. She's perfect!

FET #1: May 2/17 BFN
FET #2: June 6/17

BFP 8dp5dt
Beta 10dp5dt - 498
Beta 12dp5dt - 1473
Beta 19dp5dt - 11 430
queenypink
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Return to General Infertility