Infertility cost --> IUI & IVF

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Infertility cost --> IUI & IVF

Postby V-Cas » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:40 pm

Hello ladies, I've been reading up a lot on these posts and I have a bit of a silly question.
Infertility treatments and their cost, how do you all do it?
My insurance covers anything that may diagnose infertility but when it comes to actual treatments (IUI & IVF) I'm on my own.
I have a good salary and DH makes a good living too. Along with all the money we make we have a mortgage, car payments, student loans, and tons of other bills. We live very comfortably and some months we're able to put a lil a side. I see a lot of people throw around IUI & IVF treatments, does my insurance suck? (That was a rhetorical question, Im a teacher in Texas, of course my insurance sucks!) Or have you all been saving up for these treatments? Or do you know of any grants? This is our third year ttc. I had all the tests done with in a few months because my insurance covered it all. (All the tests I've had are fine, only thing wrong with me is I have slightly low progesterone, which is great when I'm on clomid, DH is perfect.) However, now that we need to move forward we can't really afford to. Am I alone with this? We can pay for one IUI out of pocket, but then we get pregnant & have no savings left, or we don't get pregnant and lost our savings and still have no baby. I guess I'm venting at how ridiculous insurance companies are and treatments as well as wondering how everyone else has done it.

Any imput will be greatly appreciated.
Married 4/2008
Ttc 3/2012
V-Cas
Friend

Re: Infertility cost --> IUI & IVF

Postby cbusch87 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:51 am

I'm so sorry, covering infertility treatments sucks on pretty much any insurance plan. :( We have fabulous health insurance through the military, but unfortunately they cover nothing that involves conception without sex (so IUI or IVF isn't covered, as well as the meds for those cycles).

Our IUI cycles have been costing between $500-$800 for the procedure & monitoring and then $120 for Femara + HCG Trigger. Our next IUI cycle will be with injectables so that's $500-$800 + $1,250 for the meds. We also have an added expense of donor sperm which is $700 per vial (1 per IUI cycle) and then $150 for shipping each vial.

It's not cheap. We've been at this 5 years and it's now our #1 priority, so even though we usually live 100% debt free, we're incurring debt for the sake of a chance at children. We took out a credit card with a high limit for the costs of all this, and then we pay it off as I get paid. I work as a freelancer/contractor so I've been picking up more work lately to help pay off these expenses.

We are looking at IVF soon if the next IUI or 2 don't work, which I believe would run us about $12,000 for a cycle. If it comes to that, we're looking into personal loans to help us cover it. We are also trying to sell our rental house (at a loss) just to free up more funds. I've done a little bit of research and there are fertility specific loans for IVF, as well as cost sharing programs. I'm not sure what will fit our needs best right now but we'll continue to look into it.

I'd recommend looking into the fertility loans, research grants to see if there are any that apply to you, and if you're near a large city you might be able to join a medical study for fertility treatments.
Married in 2007
TTC since Fall 2009
Me: 27
– All tests have been normal
DH: 30 – Azoospermia (0 sperm count, SCO syndrome)
4 failed IUI's

IVF : Nov 2014
2 blastocysts transferred 11/8! 5 frosties.
:bfp: 11/13(5dp5dt) : BFP 5dp5dt!!
Beta #1 (8dp5dt) : 204
Beta #2 (10dp5dt) : 565
Beta #3 (12dp5dt) : 1,200
7 week ultrasound : Twins!
8 week ultrasound : Lost Baby A, Baby B still going strong
♥ Baby boy due 7/27/15 ♥

cbusch87
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby V-Cas » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:44 am

That breaks my heart. It's just so much $$$.....=(
One IUI will run us about 2,500 plus meds. My RE told us how much IVF cost but I guess I chose to forget cause I have no idea what number he said.
It's just so sad when it's money that stops us from fulfilling our dreams. Ticks me off extra when I see all this news coverage if babies left in cars in 100 + degree weather. REALLY??? You don't remember you had a baby with you? Or when a boyfriend or the own mother murder their kids. It's like WHAT?!?! I don't get it and the 10 year old me wants to say "it's not fair!"

Thanks for your response.
I really appreciate it.
Married 4/2008
Ttc 3/2012
V-Cas
Friend

Postby ana8284 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:42 am

V-Cas wrote:That breaks my heart. It's just so much $$$.....=(
One IUI will run us about 2,500 plus meds. My RE told us how much IVF cost but I guess I chose to forget cause I have no idea what number he said.
It's just so sad when it's money that stops us from fulfilling our dreams. Ticks me off extra when I see all this news coverage if babies left in cars in 100 + degree weather. REALLY??? You don't remember you had a baby with you? Or when a boyfriend or the own mother murder their kids. It's like WHAT?!?! I don't get it and the 10 year old me wants to say "it's not fair!"

Thanks for your response.
I really appreciate it.

Definitely look into various clinics and also consider using your FSA if you have one to save for the treatments. I live in VA and if I don't do ultrasound monitoring each cycle runs me around $275 plus meds which if you only use Clomid your first cycle Clomid usually runs around $30 per month without insurance and the trigger around $110. The months that I did do ultrasound monitoring ran around $175 per ultrasound and I usually did two so with the insemination it ended up being about $625 each cycle plus meds. If you start using injectibles the price goes up significantly but you can apply for various financial assistance programs to help with those and your doctor should be able to give you info. Now I will say we were using donor sperm so we had to pay for that seperately and I don't know what the extra fees would have been to use a fresh sample but just make sure you shop around for REs go a town or two over if you have to it can really make a big difference in cost. Good luck with everything

Me-30- PCOS
DW- 31
Married 2009
TTC since 2012
IUI #1- 07/12-BFN, IUI #2 08/12-BFN, ICI at home 10/12- BFN, Back to Back IUI #3 08/13-BFN, IUI #4 09/13-BFN, IUI #5 03/14- BFN, IUI #6 05/21- BFN, IUI #7 06/26-BFN
10/08 starts TWW with Known Donor!
ana8284
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby queenypink » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:13 pm

I totally get how devastating the cost of fertility treatments can be. I'm in Canada, and the province that I live in doesn't cover any treatments of any kind, though all investigations (for the most part) are covered under our basic medical.

Since my IUI's are unmedicated, each cycle is about 550 (including progesterone after the procedure). Since this is our fourth attempt, we are also exploring the idea of IVF in the next little while. That will be between 10-15,000.

That figure makes me gag.
Me: 33 Yrs. Cervical cancer SURVIVOR! Treated w/radical trachelectomy, lymphadenectomy & circlage. Sucky FSH (12) & AMH w/in the normal/low range
DH: 38 Yrs. SA came back low-ish
Official Dx: Unexplained

Five unmedicated IUI's - All Neg.
| 29.03.14 | 29.04.14 | 23.06.14 | 22.07.14 | 19.08.14 |

IVF #1: Baseline Mar 17/15
ER Mar 30th -- 15 eggies collected, 13 mature, 10 fertilized naturally
ET Apr 4th -- 4AA Blastocyst Embaby <3
6 perfect frosty day 6 blasts/expanded blasts

BFP at 8dp5dt
Beta 10dp5dt April 14th - 179
Beta #2 12dp5dt Apr 16th - 519
Beta #3 16dp5dt Apr 20th - 2698
Beta #4 20dp5dt Apr 24th - 8337
DD born Oct '15 at 32wks gest. She's perfect!

FET #1: May 2/17 BFN
FET #2: June 6/17

BFP 8dp5dt
Beta 10dp5dt - 498
Beta 12dp5dt - 1473
Beta 19dp5dt - 11 430
queenypink
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby jenn17 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:52 am

It's definitely sickening how much all of this costs. My DH and I were pretty ok with IUI costs (around $350), but when it came time to switch to IVF, that's when the cost got serious. We are in our first IVF cycle, and it has cost us $17000. Since I can't have a fresh transfer (high progesterone) and will have to do an FET in a couple of months, my guess is that it'll run us about $7000, mainly because of the meds. (the FET itself is $2500). I'm waiting on my fert report in a few hours, and am scared to death what I will find out. If we don't get at least 2 blasts, my RE wants me to do stims again. At $17000 I just really don't know if that's an option. To think that one guy at a lab could either dash or keep hope alive for us to have a family is sickening.
DH 37 me 39
TTC #1 since Aug. 2013
March 2014-laparoscopy/hysteroscopy removed moderate endo and septum
5 failed IUIs
Moving on to IVF
July '14 IVF-"freeze all" due to high progesterone, 3 snowbabies in the freezer
3 FETs cancelled due to thin lining
1/27 -hysteroscopy/lap to remove functional cyst, endo
3/1-started stims for IVF#2
jenn17
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby V-Cas » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:31 pm

That's horrible. We're trying IUI at the end of this month, $3,000. We both have good jobs but are fund raising with the help of gofundme.com, we made a profile and sent it to about 15 people, our family mainly. I hope it works cause not only would we need to move on to IVF (13,000$) but also I'd feel like I'd be disappointing everyone who helped get the money together. We are trying IUI once, hopefully it works but if not move on to IVF and also have a go at it only once, with the help of gofundme.com again. Terrifying to think we only have a go at it two more times.
Married 4/2008
Ttc 3/2012
V-Cas
Friend

Postby nainasharma64 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:35 am

Thanks guys for share this post.
nainasharma64

Return to General Infertility