Bad Semen Analysis, what do I do???

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Bad Semen Analysis, what do I do???

Postby Reapage » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:32 am

Dh got a call from his Dr. finally, she said "its really bad" he had about 2 million sperm per mL... he should have around 20mil. Of those, many were deformed, had low motility, or were dead.

They want to re-test, and do a referral to an endocrinologist.

I dont know what all of this means, and I dont even know where to start researching because he is upset and not giving me the info I need I am sure. He is devistated, after all this time, are we even going to be able to have a baby at all? are we going to be infertile?

I was so sure it was me, I thought it was PCOS. How are we ever going to overcome this?

We were on our way to work together... Now he is at his office and I am at mine, and we are both just... I dont have a word for this feeling.

What do I do?

We deserve a baby... and I dont think we are going to be able to have one.
Me: 24, PCOS, on Metformin 2000 daily
Him: 33, low count, low motility, 0-1% morphology
TTC #1 since Sept 13.

IVF#1 Antagonist protocol
ET: one BA Expanded Blast, Froze one AB blast.
MC confirmed
IVF #2 FET
BFN

IVF #3 Luteal Phase Lupron Protocol
ET 1 4AB blast & 1 4BB blast
1 BA blast made it to freeze
BFP!
12dp5dt beta=738
15dp5dt beta =1,979
17dp5dt beta = 4,029

FIRST U/S @6W2D SHOWS TWINS!!!!
Baby A :hb: 128
Baby B :hb: 112
SECOND U/S @7W2D TWINS ARE PERFECT!
Baby A :hb: 166
Baby B :hb: 151

ITS A BOY AND A GIRL! :babyb: :babyg: :balloons:
Reapage
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Bad Semen Analysis, what do I do???

Postby cbusch87 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:07 am

I'm so sorry about the bad SA :( We have severe male factor infertility so I know how crappy this all feels.

There are options, though. Your next step should be to get DH in to see a urologist. They can do more testing on him to determine the cause of the poor count & quality. Depending on the cause, they may be able to fix it to where you can get pregnant naturally, or raise it a bit to where you'd be able to do IUI to get pregnant. If there's nothing they can do to improve the count & quality of sperm, then IVF (possibly with ICSI) could be an option for you. With ICSI they would insert one healthy sperm into each mature egg they get from you, so they really don't need many sperm to work with at all.

Take some time to process the news with your DH. It's a big deal for both of you. But know that this isn't the end of the road for you, there are options and you will become parents!
Married in 2007
TTC since Fall 2009
Me: 27
– All tests have been normal
DH: 30 – Azoospermia (0 sperm count, SCO syndrome)
4 failed IUI's

IVF : Nov 2014
2 blastocysts transferred 11/8! 5 frosties.
:bfp: 11/13(5dp5dt) : BFP 5dp5dt!!
Beta #1 (8dp5dt) : 204
Beta #2 (10dp5dt) : 565
Beta #3 (12dp5dt) : 1,200
7 week ultrasound : Twins!
8 week ultrasound : Lost Baby A, Baby B still going strong
♥ Baby boy due 7/27/15 ♥

cbusch87
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Reapage » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:34 am

Thank you for this, I really needed some direction. His dr. is talking about a referral to an endocrinologist.... Any idea why they would send us there instead of a urologist?

Poor Dh he is worried about a baby, worried that it will cause issues with us... just worried, and I just don't have much optimism in me to comfort either of us, I know I need to buck up I just feel awful.
TTC #1 since Sept 13.

MC confirmed
IVF #2 FET
BFN

BFP!
12dp5dt beta=738
15dp5dt beta =1,979
17dp5dt beta = 4,029

Reapage
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SaraElise » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:26 pm

I would definitely see if he can get into a urologist. DH has varicocele (leading cause of male infertility) and when he had his first SA done he had 4 sperm! AND they wernt moving. He was also diagnosed with low testosterone which his urologist said was from having the varicocele. The low Testosterone is primarily what caused such a horrible SA. DH was givin Clomid and when his testosterone levels got into the normal range his sperm count became 100% normal and we got pregnant in less than 3 months. There are also TONS of natural vitamins and supplements that he can take. Don't lose hope because there may be things that can help.
My Ovulation Chart

Me (Sara): 28 Normal, Unexplained Infertility, 50mg of Clomid to see if it will help!

DH (Bryan): 31 Diagnosed with varicocele and low testosterone. Normal count with low motility. Using Clomid to try and increase numbers. All tests normal as of Jan 2014!

June 2014: 50mg Clomid= BFN
July 2014: 50mg Clomid= BFN
August 2014: 100mg Clomid= BFN
September 2014: 100mg Clomid=BFN
October 2014: 100mg Clomid=BFN

Acupunture started October 2014

TTC #2 since May 2013

SaraElise
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby cbusch87 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:32 pm

Even if there's only male factor infertility, you will need to be established patients of a fertility clinic (reproductive Endochrinologists run these). They will likely do a more thorough SA and bloodwork on your DH. Anything beyond that though for him they will refer out to a urologist since reproductive Endochrinologists (RE's) primarily work with female patients.

I don't know how much testing you've been through but they will want to test you thoroughly as well, usually they do more than an OB/GYN can. Knowing as much info about your fertility status will help them figure out a plan to get you pregnant, while using whatever information they get from your husbands urologist.

If you do require IUI or IVF to get pregnant, the RE will need all your test results to know how to dose your medications and they will perform the procedures.

I hope that helps!
Married in 2007
TTC since Fall 2009
Me: 27
– All tests have been normal
DH: 30 – Azoospermia (0 sperm count, SCO syndrome)
4 failed IUI's

IVF : Nov 2014
2 blastocysts transferred 11/8! 5 frosties.
:bfp: 11/13(5dp5dt) : BFP 5dp5dt!!
Beta #1 (8dp5dt) : 204
Beta #2 (10dp5dt) : 565
Beta #3 (12dp5dt) : 1,200
7 week ultrasound : Twins!
8 week ultrasound : Lost Baby A, Baby B still going strong
♥ Baby boy due 7/27/15 ♥

cbusch87
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Reapage » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Thank you for the replies!! Here is what the results ended up being

Concentration 20mil, Morphology 1%, motility 50%

those are the biggest issues. Due to the concentration and morphology, they want another SA and to move on to a reproductive endocrinologist. I have PCOS but have been on Met and it seems to be working wonders for my cycle and based on bbt I believe I am ovulating on my own.

We are going to keep treading, this is out 11th month ttc, so we are getting good at being patient. I am ordering Wellmans Conception, Fertiliaid, CountBoost, and MotilityBoost. He is going to quit smoking as well which is a biggy.

The fertility clinic (Shady Grove) is where the RE referral came from, so it seems to me that we should definitely trust that, and go from there.

I have already gotten my hormones checked out, as well as a pelvic ultrasound which is how they found my PCOS 3 months ago and I have been on Metformin since. My cycles have gone from being induced at 49days to starting af on my own at cd29. I am also charting this month and think I am Oing, but I need a couple more high temps to confirm.

I just hope we can find a cause behind his sperm issues and find a way to conceive w/out ivf or iui. But of course don't we all wish that? :p

Sara- I read your post to dh, thank you so much for sharing, I swear I saw his face light up with restored hope!

Sbusch- Any idea why they would send us to an RE first for his factor issue, if they are likely to just send us to a urologist in the end anyway?
TTC #1 since Sept 13.

MC confirmed
IVF #2 FET
BFN

BFP!
12dp5dt beta=738
15dp5dt beta =1,979
17dp5dt beta = 4,029

Reapage
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ljk86 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:31 am

Hi Reapage,

Have you tried vitamins and supplements? I have been researching this issue for last few days... how to boost sperm count, because my husband took a home test and got negative result. (meaning he possibly has low sperm count) He is not a smoker, drinker, he works out and is in a good shape, he eats pretty good, his job is not very stressful, he doesn't take baths or wear tight underwear and still he possibly might have troubles.

I browsed like a million of websites and this is what I've found out. These are the vitamins, minerals etc recommended to boost your sperm count & increase motility.

Vitamin C (500-1500 mg/day) 
Vitamin E (400-800 i.u. per day)
Zinc (15-60 mg/day)
Zinc Sulfate (15-50/day)
Vitamin B-6 (25mg/day)
Vitamin B-12 (10-100 mcg/day) - even more is recommended
Niacin (45mg/day)
Riboflavin (20mg/day)
Selenium (100-200 mcg/day)
L-Carnitine (1g/day) - especially good for motility
Acetyl L-Carnitine (500mg/day)
L-Arginine (1-2g/day)
Folic Acid (5g/day)
Maca - to increase sex drive
Coenzym Q10 (30-100mg/day)

All of these are in FERTIL AID for MEN, BOOST COUNT and MOTILITY and even PROXEED as main ingredients. Just didn't feel like paying 100-300 a month if I don't know for sure it will help.

I found a multivitamin that had most of it online (I can send a link if you want) and also ordered separately: zinc sulfate, l- carnitine and acetyl l- carnitine, vitamin E and folic acid (lower amount then 5g though). My DH who never took any vitamins really, agreed to take them all, because he wants to make sure he won't be the reason why we can't conceive or take forever to conceive.

On average it takes up to 2-3 month to see results, because sperm takes a few weeks to mature.

I'd give it a shot and then have another SA in a few months. All the supplements I named cost us about 60 bucks for pretty much 3 months supply, it's worth to try I guess. If your DH is not about taking vitamins, I'd try zinc and folic acid at least.

Good luck and Baby dust!!
ME - 28
DH - 31
MARRIED since Oct 2012
TTC # 1 since May 2014
BFP @ 10dpo 9/17/2014

My Ovulation Chart
ljk86
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to General Infertility