what do you think?

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

what do you think?

Postby amc318 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:07 am

OK so, backstory: my cycles are irregular (anywhere from 28-38 days or so) -- I was diagnosed with PCOS this past June and have been on Metformin since then.

My first cycle (between June-July) since being on Metformin was actually a regular cycle -- i started spotting on CD29 and the actual real flow started on CD32. I was extatic! my cycle before that was almost 40 days.

Now, the cycle after that (between July-August) I believe I never ovulated or anything. I say this because up until last night I just figured I didn't have a period (which is not normal for me, even tho mine are irregular I still get them) -- BUT i remembered on CD30 I had literally a bit of pink after I peed first thing in the morning and absolutely nothing after that. I figured I'd be starting pretty soon after, but to this day still nothing has happened.

Do yall think that the day of very minimal spotting when I wiped was like a very light, anovulatory period???

I honestly am not sure if I did ovulate or not -- I haven't been temping or anything, but I am supposed to see my OBGYN again in mid Sept for a follow up after putting me on the Metformin.

I am going to ask her about something else that I realized too, and that's the fact that I don't see any uterine lining when my periods are happening when I KNOW i used to def see it back before I gained 60 pounds and started having these lovely lady issues....so I am wondering if I am also just not ovulating thats part of my problem too... :doh:

Oh well, just wanted some thoughts on this.

:thanx:
Me: 25
DH: 30
~TTC #1 since November 2012

--Metformin (1500mg/day)

12/2012: chemical pregnancy
6/2014: PCOS official diagnosis -- DR Rx'd Metformin
8/27/2014: BFP!!!! I'm In Shock!

amc318

Re: what do you think?

Postby laomy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:21 am

its likely you didnt ovulate and had an anovulatory period, esp with the PCOS diagnosis.
That's great the metformin has made your cycles shorter!

What I would do is start temping, just to know for sure which cycles you did ovulate. Its easy to get in the habit after a couple weeks.

I would also ask your doctor about Femara to help spur on ovulation. It really helped me, and being on it for a few months actually put my hormones back in balance (progesterone was much higher), and I even lost 10 lbs without even trying because of the hormone balance.
Me and DH both 33 years old, TTC#1

laomy
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby amc318 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:39 am

laomy wrote:its likely you didnt ovulate and had an anovulatory period, esp with the PCOS diagnosis.
That's great the metformin has made your cycles shorter!

What I would do is start temping, just to know for sure which cycles you did ovulate. Its easy to get in the habit after a couple weeks.

I would also ask your doctor about Femara to help spur on ovulation. It really helped me, and being on it for a few months actually put my hormones back in balance (progesterone was much higher), and I even lost 10 lbs without even trying because of the hormone balance.

Thanks for the reply, Laomy!

I was thinking that, too, I'm glad my cycles are getting shorter but its frustrating to see a anovulatory period -- even though this is only my like 2nd-3rd month on Metformin.

I'll def ask my OBGYN about Femera when I see her for the followup on Sept 18th. I think along with the whole 'not ovulating' thing and the non-existent uterine lining when I do have a period, I think I def need some sort of hormonal balancing.

Is Femera something you take to start ovulating? I feel like i've heard of Clomid which is also supposed to do that, but maybe a more aggressive form of it?

I've seen the names a million times on here but never researched them at all haha

--Metformin (1500mg/day)

amc318

Postby laomy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:51 am

yeah -- Femara and Clomid have a very similar effect, and they are taken very similarly. You take them only for 5 days at the start of your cycle (cycle days 3 through 7, or 4 through 8... but only for 5 days).

They are different drugs though but they have the same result. I think the way it works is that, Clomid is an "estrogen antagonist", so it makes your body think it doesn't have enough estrogen. And so, your body will produce more estrogen to compensate. And this increase in estrogen is what will allow your body to more fully mature the egg follicles. It also helps the overall hormonal balance of your entire cycle. In my opinion, this is a "brute force" approach, but its very effective.

Femara is different -- its called an aromatase inhibitor. Aromatase is the enzyme that converts androgens to estrogens. So, for the 5 days you take it, your body thinks its not making enough estrogens from this conversion, so it will make more estrogen to compensate... So, the same thing happens (more estrogen is made) but I think of Femara as being more of a back-door approach, chemically speaking.

Clomid has more side effects though -- it stays in your system longer. It also can make cervical mucous dry up so thats not a good side effect if you're already dealing with infertility. Femara doesnt have that side effect because its not actually blocking any of the existing estrogen (unlike Clomid). Also, I think moodiness and hot flashes are worse with Clomid. But Clomid has been around longer than Femara.
Me and DH both 33 years old, TTC#1

laomy
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby amc318 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:08 pm

laomy wrote:yeah -- Femara and Clomid have a very similar effect, and they are taken very similarly. You take them only for 5 days at the start of your cycle (cycle days 3 through 7, or 4 through 8... but only for 5 days).

They are different drugs though but they have the same result. I think the way it works is that, Clomid is an "estrogen antagonist", so it makes your body think it doesn't have enough estrogen. And so, your body will produce more estrogen to compensate. And this increase in estrogen is what will allow your body to more fully mature the egg follicles. It also helps the overall hormonal balance of your entire cycle. In my opinion, this is a "brute force" approach, but its very effective.

Femara is different -- its called an aromatase inhibitor. Aromatase is the enzyme that converts androgens to estrogens. So, for the 5 days you take it, your body thinks its not making enough estrogens from this conversion, so it will make more estrogen to compensate... So, the same thing happens (more estrogen is made) but I think of Femara as being more of a back-door approach, chemically speaking.

Clomid has more side effects though -- it stays in your system longer. It also can make cervical mucous dry up so thats not a good side effect if you're already dealing with infertility. Femara doesnt have that side effect because its not actually blocking any of the existing estrogen (unlike Clomid). Also, I think moodiness and hot flashes are worse with Clomid. But Clomid has been around longer than Femara.

Thanks for the info! I def think I'll try to stick with Femera if she wants to put me on something like that. I kinda figure she will considering my current issues.

Thanks again!

--Metformin (1500mg/day)

amc318

Postby amc318 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:49 am

OK LADIES -- IT GOT SOME GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just took my last POAS test for the hell of it, and it was positive!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! Im freaking out over here!

--Metformin (1500mg/day)

amc318

Postby laomy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:53 am

YES!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!