Low sperm morphology

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Low sperm morphology

Postby KayTii » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:07 am

Hi Everyone!
So I had my hubby take a semen analysis and everything is in the norm except for the morphology, which is normal only 2%.
After researching online, what it practically means for us, I have come upon very various approaches and opinions. Some say that IUI is probably the best option, others say to not take it so seriously, cause of all the factors, morphology is least studied and least important in a way... and some say that there are doctors that dont even look at the morphology results, if everything else seems ok.
We have not talked to a doc yet. We just got the results online yesterday. Im not sure what to think.
Anyone else experienced this??? What did you do?
We are on cycle 4 of ttc #1 (I am exactly now tww-aiting, 11 DPO...)
Fingers crossed. I hope that exactly because we had the test done, I will now be pregnant and problem solved! :)))
Thanks for any info and input!!!
KayTii
Friend

Re: Low sperm morphology

Postby HighlandGamesGirlCO » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:26 pm

I misunderstood your post - edited. Sorry! :)
Last edited by HighlandGamesGirlCO on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me (Lindsey) - 39
DH/love of my life - 45
DD Fiona Jayne - Dec 21, 2015 at 39+4 (BFP Apr 10, 2015 @10dpo) Our sweet solstice baby!
DS Ciaran Reeves - Feb 13, 2017 at 39+4 (BFP June 8, 2016 @13dpo) Best Valentine's gift ever!
"We are all atheists regarding most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

TTC baby #3!

My Ovulation Chart
HighlandGamesGirlCO
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby calwaden » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:55 pm

Hi Kaytii,

I know exactly what you mean! My DH came back with 1% then 0% and our RE said that she isn't that worried about it. My results were all good too. We did an IUI in April and got pregnant on the first try after 11 mos TTC. So you can definitely get a BFP with low morphology. Unfortunately, it was ectopic so we lost the pregnancy. Its hard to know what it really means at the end of the day and doctors respond differently to it. Your results seems to mean that 2% of the sperm was normal on Kruger scale. I am sure you can make it happen!
calwaden

Postby charlie111 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:50 am

Hi Kaytii: we also had a normal form of 2%, which had to be 4% at least my gynaec said... This was for her i guess the raison she dropped the IUI word quite quickly..
Our 2 semenanalysis was the same + lower amount too, and now we're in the first IUI cycle.. So i would suggest not to panick yet, cause you are still only in your 4th cycle TTC.. We were trying for a year, so then it's normal they look at other options..

hope for you this low morphologie doesn't mean anything and you get pregant soon!!
TTC since september 2013
after 5 IUI's I FINALLY got my BFP !
Due october 2015

[Image
charlie111

Postby JonesCrow » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:29 pm

Sperm morphology is the size and shape of the sperm. A healthy sperm has a head that is oval in shape and a long tail that is uses to move itself toward the egg.
JonesCrow
Friend

Postby pumpkinseed » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:11 pm

Hello,

We are in the same boat. Husband (42) just had semen analysis results come back. Morphology 2.5%. I'm posting the results in case it helps someone as well as for feedback. :) My labs results (FSH, LH, AMH, etc all came back good which is a relief), we are on cycle #5 TTC so crossing fingers it happens sooner than later.

Volume 2.0 ml (normal = 1.5ml or greater)
Concentration: 95 x 10(6)ml (normal = 15x10(6) ml or greater)
Total Count: 190 x 10(6)ml (normal = 39 x 10(6)ml or greater)
Total Motile: 116 x 10(6)ml
Motility: 61% (normal = 40% or greater)
Motility Grading (A = 35, B = 63.5, C = 1.5) A = rapid, B = slow/sluggish, C = nonprogressive)
Ph = 7.8
Viscosity: increased

Morphology = 2.5 % normal, 97.5 abnormal

The fertility lab told DH he had great sperm count and motility so the morphology doesn't matter. I'm hoping that's true. If we don't get pregnant within 6 months, we might try IUI as we are AMA.

Good luck to you…. from what I'm reading the RE is correct. The morphology only matters if the count/motility are also low. From what I've read, viscosity can be helped with mucinex, for both men and women (CM).
Me: 37 / DH: 43 / G-free / Autoimmune thyroid disease (nature-throid)
Lovenox, metanx, baby aspirin, prometrium, vitamin d3, prenatal, progesterone
MMC: 01-14-15
CP: 4-12-15
MMC: 7-13-15 (d&c, heartbeat was seen but gone at 8 weeks, 2 days)
TTC ON HOLD WHILE I AWAIT RESULTS, HOPING FOR RAINBOW BABY
pumpkinseed
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby KayTii » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:04 am

Thank you everyone...
A few months passed, still ttc after cycle 6. Just got AF today, which was 7 days late!!! (ohhh, we were so excited and hopeful...), but no, here she is a week late and I am so devastated...
The doc told my hubby he should take a second SA again, cause one does not show the real trend, just to see if its the same the second time around... So we are waiting for the second results now. He said the low morphology might be due to a varicocele, but only after the second results we can consider a surgery or whatever and that should improve the morphology by 70%.
I am trying to be positive, but it is so hard. I am trying to not think about ttc too much, but how can I? Its THE one thing I want in my life right now. Its so unfair. I never thought I would be a couple with fertility issues... I dont want to say infertility. Its just plain cruel.
Good luck to all you gals, we all deserve this so much... <3
KayTii
Friend

Postby SaraElise » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Has DH seen a urologist? My DH has varicocle and was diagnosed in high school. He had surgery his senior year and was told that there was no real evidence it would help with fertility issues if he had them (he didn't do a SA because he was only 18) and it was more of a cosmetic surgery to make things look normal. When we started TTC we were immediately sent to an RE because of DH and he went through testing. His first SA came back with 4 live sperm and they weren't even really moving. Our RE said our only hope was IVF but he sent us to a urologist to get his opinion. Turns out DH had low testosterone which was caused by his varicocele. His urologist said surgery was not necessary unless it was painful. DH was given Clomid to help with his low T and in 3 months his count was beyone normal and I was already pregnant at his follow up appointment. I also made him take a ton of vitamins and supplements. You can look online for things that are good for sperm issues. Hope this helps!!
My Ovulation Chart

Me (Sara): 28 Normal, Unexplained Infertility, 50mg of Clomid to see if it will help!

DH (Bryan): 31 Diagnosed with varicocele and low testosterone. Normal count with low motility. Using Clomid to try and increase numbers. All tests normal as of Jan 2014!

June 2014: 50mg Clomid= BFN
July 2014: 50mg Clomid= BFN
August 2014: 100mg Clomid= BFN
September 2014: 100mg Clomid=BFN
October 2014: 100mg Clomid=BFN

Acupunture started October 2014

TTC #2 since May 2013

SaraElise
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby pumpkinseed » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:33 pm

SaraElise,

I didn't realize they give men clomid, too? Do you think that helped you get pregnant, or was he not taking it yet? I think my husband should probably get his testosterone tested -- good tip for all of us to look into.
pumpkinseed
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby SaraElise » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:14 pm

Yes. You cannot treat low T with straight testosterone. You'll become sterile. The Clomid tricks a males body into producing testosterone naturally. DH had been on Clomid for almost 3 months before I found out I was pregnant. I think it was a combination of the Clomid and all of the other stuff I made him take.

I think that anytime there is an issue with a seman analysis blood work should be done to check hormones. DH had NO symptoms of low T so it was a shock to us.
My Ovulation Chart

Me (Sara): 28 Normal, Unexplained Infertility, 50mg of Clomid to see if it will help!

DH (Bryan): 31 Diagnosed with varicocele and low testosterone. Normal count with low motility. Using Clomid to try and increase numbers. All tests normal as of Jan 2014!

June 2014: 50mg Clomid= BFN
July 2014: 50mg Clomid= BFN
August 2014: 100mg Clomid= BFN
September 2014: 100mg Clomid=BFN
October 2014: 100mg Clomid=BFN

Acupunture started October 2014

TTC #2 since May 2013

SaraElise
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby pumpkinseed » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Hmm that is very good to know.. thanks so much!
pumpkinseed
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby mt2sea » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:43 am

Hello to all.. Thank kaytti for posting this.its given me some hope. In July Hubby's SA was similar with 8% viable out of 13.5 million. His motility and morphalogy were abbissmal never been that bad. In January after one month of clomid his count was tremendous but hardly any lived and 2% morphology. I'm worried clomid messed him up. But also I think that July was a bad batch. We've been doing doing vit. C and vit. E to help. Tried fertiliaid for men bu he couldn't stomach it. Any tips.
mt2sea
Friend

Postby MrsN05 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:05 am

Hi there idk if this helps but my hubby and horrible sperm everything, count, morfology, motility BUT he was also taking rx medications. After he got off them and ate healthy we did another SA and it sky rocketed. We've been trying for 3 1/2 yrs and last month "tried" again for the 1st time in 6 months and I became pg!!! Sadly ended with a CP but, it happened !!!

Good luck!!
MrsN05
Friend

Postby pumpkinseed » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:22 pm

MrsN05,

Wow - that is crazy. What types of rx was he on? Pain meds? So, even his morph went up? That is such good news! I am so sorry about your loss but like you said, you know you can get pregnant now! Good luck to you and hoping you get that BFP again soon.
pumpkinseed
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby KayTii » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:18 am

Thank you everyone for your replies.
SaraElise, your response is particularly eye-opening. This testosterone issue could totally be a hidden case for many of us, huh? Im pretty sure hubby had general blood testing done and it was all ok, but probably it was the blood test of like levels of minerals and stuff in his blood, not hormones. We will look into that.
The second SA was absolutely HORRIBLE. Its like it was totally a fluke. I believe it was, because the conditions they "preform" the test in is stressing as it is... However, I am no expert and I always see the worst of things but keep a strong deep hope in the bottom of my heart... if you know what I mean :(.
Anyways, Ive read about varicocele a bit and its true - nothing has been proven that it helps with fertility, yet there are many cases that it does help. With hubby its definitely not noticeable and painful, but the urologist mentioned it as a probable cause of the bad morphology (it extracts heat and kills off many sperm plus deforms the good ones...)
Im just so upset that I see people around me getting pregnant all the time. It literally kills me inside...
KayTii
Friend

Return to General Infertility