Hyperprolactinemia??

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Hyperprolactinemia??

Postby MandyKTTC2 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:02 pm

So here I am procrastinating cleaning/grocery shopping/etc. on twoweekwait.com (yay!) and, also, lovely Google (mistake! danger, danger!).
dr-google.jpg
No. More. Google.
dr-google.jpg (27.09 KiB) Viewed 1524 times

I casually Google vitex, maca root, and milk thistle (I started these this month) just to see if I could find any awesomely inspiring success stories. Boy, did THAT backfire. :roll:

*smacks forehead with palm and slides hand down face* :doh:

Found something about hyperprolactinemia. :omg: Now, I have, of course, heard of PCOS and I suspect I have it or something akin to it, but either way I have extremely irregular cycles...(safe to say almost every symptom you can find about PCOS, I experience). But this word - "hyperprolactinemia" - got my wheels turning.

While breastfeeding my daughter, I remember being told I produced WAY too much breast milk. She had to stay in the NICU for GERD for a week, and I would pump and bring my milk in so they could feed her when I couldn't be there. Well I brought them what I had one time and the nurse I handed it to looked at me wide-eyed and asked, "Was this all from today??" I was confused, "Yes...It's actually just from the last few hours." She told me, "We don't have room for all of this, it's too much. Are you sure this is just from today?" :?

Seriously? I tried to donate what I didn't use because there are women who suffer with not being able to produce enough and I felt stingy keeping all of what The Lord blessed me with, but apparently there's a lot of tests you have to do just to be approved to donate breast milk.

Anyway, I digress.

I still have times when I leak milk, and I haven't pumped or breastfed in 3 years. I have read that some women leak milk for many years, but...

I'm just curious if anyone has more knowledge on the link between producing too much breast milk and suffering later from infertility because of "hyperprolactinemia"??

I will now proceed to hold my breath and hope I'm just being silly. :praying: Darn that Google...
Husband (29), Me (29)
Surprise BFP 8/22/10
DD (3) emergency c-section 4/22/2011
Married 2/6/2012
NTNP Feb 2013-Sept 2014
TTC #2 since Sept 2014

My Ovulation Chart
MandyKTTC2

Re: Hyperprolactinemia??

Postby cuphalffull » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:43 pm

I haven't heard of this, but I was one of those women who made tons of milk as well!
Me: 31, overweight, AMH 2.2, FSH 2.3, no PCOS or diabetes
DH: 31
DD:5 (4/30/09) Conceived 1st month trying!
Trying for #2 since February 2014
November Clomid 50mg-no Ovulation by day 21 confirmed by Progesterone .38
immediately took 100mg Clomid for 5
days, confirmed ovulation!
BFP January 26
Brynn Catherine
Born September 24, 2015

My Ovulation Chart
cuphalffull
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to General Infertility