Need advice reg starting ivf or Iui

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Need advice reg starting ivf or Iui

Postby daisy@36 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:56 am

Hi , i am new to this and i think i earlier posted under the wrong topic...anyway ,
we have received our offer for ivf (one cycle) and I am a bit confused whether to take it or not.we have been planning for IUI before we go for an IVF.
BUT THE IVF OFFER is available for acceptance only within 2 weeks of the offer and if we let it go , we cannot avail this again.
However IUI we can afford to finance on our own and IVF will be a expensive affair and practically not in our budget.
Please advice based on these circumstances should we postpone the idea of IUI and accept the IVF treatment.
I have never been on any fertility treatment before and this will be out first time.
Is it OK to have IVF first?? Since I have heard it as the last option people opt for.
If IVF fails then will I be able to try IUI also???or will that be a problem?

Pl. Help me decide???
Ttc#1,me 36 , dh 39
Bfp in 2007 , Mc@12 weeks
Bfp in 2009,mc @ 20 weeks, diagnosed with ic.cervix
Bfp in 2010,placed a stitch at 13 weeks ,mc @ 25 weeks
Bfp in 2011, mmc at 5 weeks
Trying since 2011..unexplained infertility since 2013.
daisy@36

Re: Need advice reg starting ivf or Iui

Postby Danaa » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Hello,i canot make a choice for you but we can talk about ur options,first of all how long have you been trying?how old are you and your husband?do you have any other children?what kind of infertility you have that you need IUI or IVF?
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby daisy@36 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:28 am

Hi danaa,
I have been TTC for 3 yrs unsuccessfully.I have my first option of IUI private anytime I want so planned to go for it in January.however recently I got a letter from NHS for IVF , ( I live in UK and recently they no longer provide Iui at NHS) I was put on the IVF list a year back when I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility.rest of my details in my signature..pl. help me choose.will I be correct in choosing IVF before IUI??I have no child yet .
Ttc#1,me 36 , dh 39
daisy@36

Postby Danaa » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:59 am

Hi again,I don't see signatures bcs I go on from my phone,have you had any tests done?hormonal,semen analysis for ur husband,HSG,laparoscopy?there are alot of tests,procedures you have to do before ivf,bcs ivf is the last solution.if ivf is more financial convenient for you and you are ready to go thru all that process bcs IVF is not piece of cake,I would go for ivf but if you feel like ur not ready yet or you can still have a chance conceiving naturally then wait a while.I highly recommend doing a diagnostic laparoscopy before if you haven't done one,maybe they find something in there that could explain ur infertility.I also battle infertility,I'm thinking of both IUI and IVF,but before I wanna do all the tests I can possibly do to have a chance of conceiving natural.I had a laparoscopy 2 months ago bcs all my other tests were good,but the laparoscopy showed everything wasn't good.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby daisy@36 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:40 am

Thanks again danaa.I am sorry for skipping some of the details,ii thought u missed them the first time read..OK, here I go , I am 36 n DH 39.yes , we both have been checked for amh and semen analysis. Both are good levels.recently i had hsg scan in early 2014 also...ooooooh so uncomfortable and painful for me but got thru it somehow and it shows everything clear and both tubes are fine .I had earlier been pregnant 4 times and had miscarried all.
I had a permanent cervical stitch placed in 2011 and had a laparoscopy then. Which showed everything was fine and after that I did not conceive.other than that a ultrasound was taken in early 2014.I feel I am not ready yet for ivf,but dh is keen to try ...I would like to go for iui first but seems no other option now..just hoping this ivf is a success and we will be blessed with a baby soon.
Baby dust to you too..take care.
Last edited by daisy@36 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
daisy@36

Postby Danaa » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:44 am

Good Luck!maybe you can post on update on ur ivf.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sgordon33 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Personally I would opt for iVF with PGS genetic testing. We did 3 IUI wo success. The PGS could tell you why you are miscarrying or opt for hysteroscopy. Unfortunately it's not 100% as we just had our first IVF w PGS fail as well. IUI was frustrating and I wish WD had just gone straight to iVF personally. It's a grueling road but after everything you have been through, it will seem like nothing. I wish you lots of luck and baby dust. We just had hysteroscopy Tues which found nothing. Assuming progesterone was too low. We have one frozen emby and hope to transfer in February w success and change of protocol.
Me: 34 high fsh
DH: 31 low end quality
TTC 3 years together
Jan-Feb 2014 clomid and natural trying
April-June 2014 3 IUIs with BFN
Early Aug 2014 started BC 2 weeks for IVF# 1 with PGD/PGS
One week 300 folllistim and 2 viles menopur
One week same with Ganirelix added
Sept 4 Lupron trigger and D/C meds
sept 5 ER 12 eggs, 9 mature, 8 fertilized
As of Sept 8 (7) fertilized embryos (6) A quality (1) B quality
Sept 11 final count (5) embryos frozen and cell sent for PGD and PGS
Sept 19 results from PGD and PGS (2) beautiful healthy embryos
Oct 9 the fun begins for preparation for transfer scheduled tentatively Nov 4 :)
Nov 4: one AB blast transfered, blood test Thurs Nov 14 resulted in BFN :(
Sgordon33
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby daisy@36 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks sgordon,after going through your post, I feel I am in the right direction, so no worries now.I will avail this opportunity and with full faith go ahead with IVF.my IVF probably starts in february too..good luck and sticky baby dust to you.

And danaa, yes I hope to post my ivf journey soon and hopefully this will be a success.and for you too I am sending your way lot of baby dust.
Ttc#1,me 36 , dh 39
daisy@36

Return to General Infertility