Dealing with work?

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Dealing with work?

Postby Waiting mommy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:09 am

So next cycle, I begin Clomid, have an HSG done and will be monitored for when I ovulate/how I'm reacting to the Clomid. My RE's office is about an hour and 15 minutes away (closest one to me believe it or not). I am a nanny for a 7 month old girl and I'm nervous about having to take time off work for these appointments. I work from 7:45 am- 6:00 pm Monday-Friday so my days are not free. I would bring the baby with me, but taking a baby to a fertility center seems inconsiderate to me. My boss knows that I just went to my first RE appointment and that I'm going to need some treatment, but that's about it. How can I work around my work schedule? Just do the best I can with scheduling on weekends? Some Friday's I only work a half day so that could work too. Should I be honest with my boss?
Thanks, ladies
Me (Maddie) 23

TTC #1 for 14 cycles

4/2/15- Clomid 100mg days 4-8
My Ovulation Chart
Waiting mommy
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: Dealing with work?

Postby BeeCee33 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:48 pm

Be honest with your boss! I am also a nanny, but luckily the family I work for has another part time nanny, so we can cover each other in emergencies. I had to be really open with them about my pregnancy because I have Hyperemesis Gravidarum and have been very sick and in and out of the ER for most of my pregnancy. I was so nervous to talk to them at first because I hate taking time off, but they have been wonderful and flexible with me.

One route you may want to explore, if they aren't able to cover you, is finding either a trusted friend who can meet the family and cover for you, or finding someone on care.com who is available as a back up sitter. Since your appointments will be scheduled in advance, you should be able to find someone who can fill in ahead of time.

If you aren't familiar with care.com, it's fantastic. Families have access to background checks and reviews on local sitters, so they can feel confident that they know who is coming into their home. It's free for job seekers, but the family might have to pay a monthly access fee to use it.

If you and the family both feel comfortable with you taking the baby to your appointments, I don't think you need to feel self conscious about bringing a baby there. People might not know she's not yours, and might think it's a little odd, but that really doesn't matter! The important thing is that you are able to seek out the help that you need. Don't let the worry of what strangers will think get in the way of building your own family.

If it were me, I would go for trying to get work covered, just because you are going to want to be able to focus completely on what the doctor is telling you, and let's face it, babies demand a lot of attention unless they are asleep. I bet you will find that the family you work for will be more supportive than you guessed. They may even have a good solution to covering for you that you aren't aware of, so don't hesitate to discuss with them what the best course of action will be!

Best of luck to you!
Me (Becca): 31 DH:36

BFP Feb 20, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

BFP June 2, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

Henry James born 7/27/15

My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to General Infertility