Possible low progesterone even though blood work shows fine?

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Possible low progesterone even though blood work shows fine?

Postby romanticunicorn » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new here...

A bit of a background...We have been seeing a fertility doctor since Nov/14. All of our tests have come back fine. Due to these results, our doctor thought maybe my endometriosis could be causing our fertility problems. I had a laparoscopy to hopefully help alleviate/decrease my endo symptoms, and also to hopefully help resolve our infertility.

We didn't conceive my first cycle post op (which I was prepared for). When I went in for my post op follow up (which was 1 month post op - and also a full cycle later, as AF started the day after my laparoscopy), I informed her that there didn't seem to be any change with my period this cycle, and I also still had spotting for 2 weeks before AF. After I had told her that, she wondered if the spotting could be preventing implantation, and suggested we try Endometrin (Progesterone) over the next 4 months to see if that helps us to conceive. I will have to very closely track my OV (thankfully I get very good indications of when I'm about to OV due to OV pain, plus my CM, and then I use LH test strips when I get these indications - I stopped tracking my temp quite a while ago, because I found it to be stressful, but I may go back to tracking it too), as I cannot start the Endometrin until 3DPO (otherwise it will prevent OV). I have to use it (vaginal inserts) 2x/day for 12 days (unless AF comes before that, then I stop when AF starts). If we successfully conceive while on it, then I will have to continue the treatment until 10wks gestation.

I have complete trust in my fertility doctor (she is wonderful), and from the research I've done, the other symptoms I've been experiencing (especially the spotting), can be an indication of low progesterone...I'm just confused as to how that can be, if my blood work came back fine? The only thing I can think of, is perhaps my body feels the need for more progesterone than the average woman? I would love to hear from you!
DOB: Oct/84; DH DOB: May/82; Married Since: Oct/07
TTC#1 since: June/13
Confirmed M/C: July/13 (approx. 5wks)
Confirmed Endometrosis (via laparoscopy): Feb/15
Other symptoms (not including endo symptoms): Irregular cycles (shortest 20 days, longest 33 days, "average" 26 days); spotting between cycles (from 4 days to 2+ wks in length); fatigue & nausea (close to & during AF);
1st round of Endometrin (Progesterone): Mar/15 = BFN
Started 2nd round of Endometrin: Apr/15 = BFP!!!
EDD: January 10, 2016
romanticunicorn
Friend

Re: Possible low progesterone even though blood work shows f

Postby Ndonalds » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:23 pm

My doctor doesn't even do blood tests for progersterone because he said they aren't accurate. So I was given progesterone without any testing just based on symptoms.
TTC'ing #1 since Aug 2014
Me -32 DH-36
4 CP's (Oct,Nov,Jan,April)
Unexplained so far, all RPL tests done
On Synthroid for slightly elevated TSH and progesterone after O
BFP Oct 8th, 2015!!! EDD June 19-21, 2016
First try on Clomid 50mg worked despite ovulating on my own
IT'S A GIRL!
Ndonalds
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Re: Possible low progesterone even though blood work shows f

Postby romanticunicorn » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks for your reply Ndonalds. I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a few more questions for me? if not, I of course completely understand...
- What symptoms were you experiencing?
- Which progesterone were you put on, and what's your dosage like?
- How long have you been on it (or have you started yet)?
- Have you noticed any change in your symptoms since going on it?
- Have you experienced any side effects?
DOB: Oct/84; DH DOB: May/82; Married Since: Oct/07
TTC#1 since: June/13
Confirmed M/C: July/13 (approx. 5wks)
Confirmed Endometrosis (via laparoscopy): Feb/15
Other symptoms (not including endo symptoms): Irregular cycles (shortest 20 days, longest 33 days, "average" 26 days); spotting between cycles (from 4 days to 2+ wks in length); fatigue & nausea (close to & during AF);
1st round of Endometrin (Progesterone): Mar/15 = BFN
Started 2nd round of Endometrin: Apr/15 = BFP!!!
EDD: January 10, 2016
romanticunicorn
Friend

Return to General Infertility