SA Results - help interpret!

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

SA Results - help interpret!

Postby HR2015 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:44 pm

My husband (32) and I (32) have been TTC since November 2014. My doctor ran some preliminary tests on me (day 2 of my cycle) and they were as follows:
LH - 5.7 mIU/mL
FSH - 4.5 mIU/mL
TSH - 2.030 uIU/mL
Estradiol - 34.8 pg/mL

Those seemed ok, so it didn't seem like it was the female factor that was causing infertility, so my husband had an SA (strict criteria) and the results are as follows:
Days of Abstinence: 5
Liquefaction: <20 min
Color: opaque
Volume: 4.3 mL
Viscosity: 1
Agglutination: absent
Concentration: 60 million/mL
Total Count: 258 million
Motility: 75%
Progression 4+ (rapid progression): 0%
Progression 3+ (moderate progression): 37.5%
Progression 2+ (slow progression): 37.5%
Progression 1+ (no progressive motion): 0%
Progression 0+ (no motion): 25%
Progression Summary (3-4+): 37.5%
Total Motile Count (with 2 4+ progression): 193 million
Morphology: 2%
Trial Percol Separation - Total Motile Sperm Recovered: 32 million

Due to the morphology, they noted that he should be put on the following antioxidant regimen:
L-Carnitine 1500 mg b.i.d.
Vitamin C 2000 mg b.i.d
Vitamin E 400 IU OD
Zinc 100 mg OD

And also noted: "in addition, depending upon the circumstances in the female partner, this couple may benefit by intrauterine inseminations; however, it may be necessary to do in vitro fertilization using intracytoplasmic sperm injection techniques."

Has anyone else had similar SA results? Based on my results do you think it is possible to conceive naturally (and thus, more cheaply)?? If we need to go the IUI or IVF route, I guess I want to give it a shot sooner rather than later so we don't waste time, but if there is a good chance we can conceive for free, I'd like to do that!
HR2015

Re: SA Results - help interpret!

Postby rockinmysoxoff » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:40 pm

32 million healthy, motile sperm is great in my opinion. IUI has a great chance of working. My husband Had a count of 48 million and then after wash he had 6.5 million healthy/motile sperm....barely enough for IUI. Anyway, I have been pregnant naturally once. So it may happen for you. That was 5 years ago, and I haven't been pregnant since. But that's my experience. Don't waste time though. Definitely skip to IUI and IVF. I am 34 now and only getting older and my dr's. really couldn't care less if I got pregnant so here I am trying to decide what to do. I plan on getting 'the stork' and seeing if that will help get me pregnant. 80 bucks rather than 400 sounds awesome to me!
Me=34 mild endo, fibroids, pcos....sluggish eggs
DH=36 low sperm count
TTC since july 10 2010
ectopic sept 17th at 7.5 weeks 2010 (so we know it's possible!)

I'm still here, fighting the good fight. We are still 'trying' but it's no big deal anymore if we don't have a baby. We have been together since October of 1998! We certainly didn't get married JUST to have babies! Good luck to everyone TTC!
My Ovulation Chart
rockinmysoxoff
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to General Infertility