New and Needing Support

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

New and Needing Support

Postby Cadenceoflife » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Sorry I'm reposting this from the 30s board because this feels more appropriate. I don't know how to delete the other though. Sorry.

Hey, (and sorry if this is the wrong forum)

I have been a long time lurker and finally got brave enough to post. Mainly because I am feeling completely just, depressed. I am sorry that we 'meet' when I'm so down but I just don't know where else to turn really. I have no one in my life that I can talk to about these things and I think that if I continue to stress my husband out with all my concerns it will only make matters worse. So, here it goes:

I am 30 years old. We started ttc a year ago (almost to the day) and have had no luck what so ever. We finally decided to start exploring possible reasons that it hasn't been happening and in the last 2 weeks I am just overwhelmed by what's unraveling.

For starters, I found out that I have hypothyroidism. LSH of 6.8/T4 1.0 They put me on Levothyroxin and are hoping that will help quite a bit but at the same time my husbands semen analysis results came back with low vitality and morphology (mainly head malformation). He's only at 2% normal and 28% vitality.

I know that since this board is for 30s people you all can understand my sense of urgency when it comes to making baby. I swear at times I can literally hear my clock ticking and now we are getting results that are putting us on the "it will just take you longer to conceive", but it's already been over a year and I'm just getting really depressed. I know that trying for a little over a year isn't that long in the big picture, but what's got me down is that there are now confirmed medical obstacles to our adventure in baby making.

They want us to start talking about fertility treatments but the downside is our insurance doesn't pay at all for them. So how do you decide how much money you can/are willing to spend? I mean my heart says spend every last penny because I want a baby more than anything in the world... my brain tells me that we can't bankrupt ourselves because if we do get our miracle we want to be able to give him or her the most wonderful life possible and not be in debt. I don't know how you go about making these choices.

Every Dr's appointment causes so much stress and my journey into the world of infertility is just starting.

Again, I apologize for posting and just introducing myself complaining. I am just so heartbroken right now and I was hoping someone here might be able to provide some encouragement or advice.

Thank you all. You've been a great source of inspiration and advice for me even before I decided to step out of the shadows and even if no one responds I just want to thank you for the great community that I love to visit.
Cadenceoflife
Friend

Re: New and Needing Support

Postby rockinmysoxoff » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:30 am

Welcome and so sorry you are having to deal with this! My husband and I talked about fertility treatments and did one iui so far. We have discussed IVF but we don't know yet if that is something we want to potentially 'waste' money on. The best bet for you is if is sperm is low in quality and quantity is to go with IVF before IUI. IUI has a 10 percent chance of working, where as IVF has a 42% chance of working. Start saving now and then discuss with your husband how far you want to go with the treatments and make a budget. I know I felt stupid having to make a 'budget' so I could try to get pregnant when so many woman get pregnant with no troubles. But sometimes the cards just don't play right. Another important thing is to make sure you keep your relationship strong and keep a tight bond. Sometimes TTC can create a situation where it's all about trying to make a baby and nothing else. That gets old fast. You are doing the right things by looking into fertility avenues while you are still young...so you have time. Feel free to chat with me anytime! Good luck!
Me=34 mild endo, fibroids, pcos....sluggish eggs
DH=36 low sperm count
TTC since july 10 2010
ectopic sept 17th at 7.5 weeks 2010 (so we know it's possible!)

I'm still here, fighting the good fight. We are still 'trying' but it's no big deal anymore if we don't have a baby. We have been together since October of 1998! We certainly didn't get married JUST to have babies! Good luck to everyone TTC!
My Ovulation Chart
rockinmysoxoff
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Cadenceoflife » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:18 pm

I just feel weird spending 20 grand on a 'maybe baby' when that's a down payment on a house... this is all overwhelming.

The doctor said that even tho my husband has high morphology, his numbers are so high it makes up for it. I guess after my appointment yesterday, he thinks that our biggest problem is my thyroid issues so I really hope that's what it ends up being.
Cadenceoflife
Friend

Postby rockinmysoxoff » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:17 am

I'd say get a second opinion about the sperm. Yeah your thyroid might be the issue, but don't bank on it. Don't waste time, I did. Took me 2 years to finally go to an Reproduction Endocrinologist. If there is not enough of the right sperm it doesn't matter if he has billions! If they go nowhere, they are useless. If a woman can't ovulate, she can take meds to help, low progesterone, meds help, have cysts? Getting them removed helps, you get my drift....for sperm issues....there is nothing that can help unless it's a vasodilation issue. I've gotten pregnant once in 5 years and that was 5 years ago. Don't waste too much time!
Me=34 mild endo, fibroids, pcos....sluggish eggs
DH=36 low sperm count
TTC since july 10 2010
ectopic sept 17th at 7.5 weeks 2010 (so we know it's possible!)

I'm still here, fighting the good fight. We are still 'trying' but it's no big deal anymore if we don't have a baby. We have been together since October of 1998! We certainly didn't get married JUST to have babies! Good luck to everyone TTC!
My Ovulation Chart
rockinmysoxoff
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby fzzzy78 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi. I feel your pain! I've been ttc for about 16 months with no luck. I'm 37! I do have a wonderful 5yr old, but still frustrated that something that was so easy once feels impossible now.

I'm starting with a fertility doctor this month and so very nervous. My only plus is that I found out today that my insurance covers a good bit of fertility treatments, so I don't have to budget myself too much .

I'm here though if you want to talk, cry, complain... I was in tears yesterday when AF arrived. I had been certain last month was the month! And there are bellies everywhere i look!
fzzzy78
Friend

Postby Emilia80 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:19 am

Cadenceoflife, has your husband tried vitamins to boost his sperm? Vitamin C, zinc, cq10 ubiquinol, and vitamin e are the main ones that help boost and also help the morphology side. I would start him on those for 3 months and then get another semen test to see if quality has improved.
As for u, have u had other tests other than thyroid? Fsh, progesterone? Lining of uterus, tubes to see if unblocked, amh, afc? Sorry but I would be doing all this before jumping the gun into ivf.
Emilia80
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to General Infertility