Artificial insemination?

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Artificial insemination?

Postby samaira0099 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:31 am

What is artificial insemination? How is it done? What is the success rate?
samaira0099

Re: Artificial insemination?

Postby HopingforUs » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:51 am

When you see post about IUI that is what is commonly called Artificial Insemination. Our doctor said it increased our chances by 25%. My experience: you take your meds to make you ovulate and then they will give you a trigger shot to take so that the IUI falls within the window of ovulation. You go into the office, they take your SO's sperm or donor sperm, wash it and place it in a syringe and insert it into your uterus. I had some pretty hardcore cramping after the first one but the others were not that bad. You will then be sent home with progesterone and instructions to test within a specific timeline. Good luck!
2013-2015, Trying without medical intervention.
March - May 2016: clomid + ovidrel, ovulation = BFN (4 times with clomid in all, continued to thin lining even with estridial)
June - July 2016: femara + ovidrel + IUI = BFN
August - Sept 2016: clomid + ovidrel + IUI = BFN
Last week in Sept 2016 to date: Informed that my BMI was too high for the clinic to perform IVF. Told to take 6 months and try to lose the weight.
HopingforUs

Re: Artificial insemination?

Postby mimimama » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:23 am

From what I have been reading the success rate of iui is about 10-15% and it's lower than ivf success rates. But iui is much less expensive than in vitro and can be a cost-effective solution for infertile couples.
Me 31, DH 40. TTC 5 years. Unexplained infertility.
December 2015- IVF #1 BFN
May/June 2016- new doctor, IVF consultation in Gdansk Poland
October 2016- IVF #2 Invicta BFP!!!
mimimama
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to General Infertility