What should I ask doctor at first infertility appointment?

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

What should I ask doctor at first infertility appointment?

Postby anna123321 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:56 pm

I've been trying to conceive for about 15 months now with no luck, and we've not been using protection for about 2.5 years now. I have my first appointment with my OB/GYN next week and I'm wondering what sort of questions I should ask? Are there any specific tests I should make sure get done?

I'm almost 31 and I have fibroid tumors. My doctor doesn't think that they are in a location that would prevent conception or pose any problems with pregnancy, but I'm wondering if this is playing a role in my infertility. I don't have any other health problems.

This may sound strange but I have a gut feeling that I'm just not fertile anymore. When I was around 27 I had a real deep physical urge to become pregnant, but at that time it wasn't right for me so I wasn't trying. But now that I'm ready, that urge isn't there. I still really want to have a baby but the feeling that my body is telling me to have a baby is gone. Has anyone else experience anything like this?

Thanks for any advice!
anna123321

Re: What should I ask doctor at first infertility appointmen

Postby starzz121 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:53 am

im not sure what exactly to ask but i am also starting this journey though ive been in contact with my OB on the issue for the last 2 years. we are now going to proceed with a semen Analysis before going to a fertility cvliic for a consult.
how did you appointment go?
starzz121
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby anna123321 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:31 pm

I had a bunch of lab work done and everything came back normal except I had a very low progesterone level. My doctor wants to get a sperm analysis for my partner and for me to get a hysterosalpingogram. She also wants to start me on Chlomid after we get those two things done. In the meantime I'm going to start progesterone supplements after ovulation in hopes this may help.
anna123321

Postby @whenmytruerainbow » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:20 am

Hi, hun! I'm sorry you found yourself at the challenge. This is what I thought of.
1. Why haven't we been able to conceive yet?
Your doctor may be able to give you an answer based on your medical history and the tests you’ve already had. If the answer isn’t clear, more testing may be needed.
2. What other tests do we need? For example, your doctor may want the male partner to have blood tests to evaluate hormone levels, or other types of tests to look for infection, blockages or other conditions. Your doctor may order additional tests for you as well to get as complete a picture as possible of why you’re having difficulty conceiving.
3. Does my insurance cover them?
4. What treatment do you recommend first? Your age and your diagnosis are both factors in the recommended treatment, as well as your doctor’s expertise and evaluation of what will work best.
5. How long will we try this?
6. Are there side effects to this treatment?
You need to know what you’re committing to. If your treatment will involve fertility drugs you will probably feel both physical and emotional effects. Your partner needs to understand this as well. If the testing finds that one or both of you need medications or procedures to improve your chance of getting pregnant, be sure and ask what that will involve.
7. What is your success rate with this treatment?
This is what we wanted to get insight into. Hope this helps! All the best of luck for both of you!!
@whenmytruerainbow
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby mimimama » Tue May 15, 2018 7:28 am

7. What is your success rate with this treatment?
This is what we wanted to get insight into. Hope this helps! All the best of luck for both of you!!

agreed, and this article is awesome: success rates by age[/url]
Me 31, DH 40. TTC 5 years. Unexplained infertility.
December 2015- IVF #1 BFN
May/June 2016- new doctor, IVF consultation in Gdansk Poland
October 2016- IVF #2 Invicta BFP!!!
mimimama
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby katte » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:21 am

Hey, I hope you are in your good health. Let me remind you that positivity is very necessary. 15 months is still not so long time. You can be pregnant. Anything can happen anytime. You should stay consistent. Technology has given us many alternatives now. Infertility or not conceiving a baby is no more curse now. I would suggest you consult a good doctor. And try new alternatives. My wishes are with you.
katte

Return to General Infertility