New here - Short Light Periods

Any and all topics infertility-related, including treatment, emotions, and questions.

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

New here - Short Light Periods

Postby tryingforbaby » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:12 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm just going to start by saying that I already have a doctor's appointment... but it's about 2 weeks away, so any advice in the mean time is welcome! :)

Growing up I've always been slightly overweight, but not obese. (I know this isn't good... but just giving context). My periods were what I considered to be normal - about a 5 day bleed, that would tail off towards the end. I'm 25 now and have been married for almost a year. Over the past year (maybe a little more) my periods have seemed to be getting shorter, as well as the length of my cycle. (I used to be like 29 days, now I'm down to a 26 - 27 day cycle. ). My periods now last like 2 and a half or 3 days, and I don't bleed that much. I'm sure I can get by my whole period with one pad just considering how much I bleed (but I don't for sanitary reasons). I've taking ovulation tests here and there, and according to the little smiley faced I do seem to ovulate regularly.

It's been about a year since we've been married, and while we haven't been charting or really "trying" I have yet to get pregnant. My husband is very healthy. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has been through anything similar, because I've definitely gone through internet rabbit holes that have me convinced I am going through menopause early, have PCOS, or endometriosis.
I've talked to the other women in my family, and they look at me crazy when I tell them I have really short/ light periods, because they think it's a blessing. I'm scared that my scant periods are a tell-tale sign that something is wrong with me, and that I'll be unable to conceive. What do you think?

Recently, I've started taking a conception aid/ prenatal, as well as drinking fertility tea with vitex as an ingredient. Also, I'm going to start using preseed lube with my husband. I've just started these things, so I'm not sure if they'll help, but any advice or pointers with this is welcome!

I want to have a baby so badly... and my heart breaks each time I get my period and it's so light and short. I'm hoping that the doctor will have good / comforting news!
tryingforbaby

Re: New here - Short Light Periods

Postby Danaa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:42 am

26/27 days is good ,don’t worry about that.
As for the light period hmmm it could mean that your lining doesn’t thickness enough and that is why you have lighter periods.
Ask your doctor for a scan and see where you stand maybe right after ovulation.
You are doing all you can,I think you should really try for 6 months,opks,Bd in the fertile window and if nothing happens you can seek medical help.
Good luck and I hope you get your bfp really soon!!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a very early loss,chemical pregnancy.
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 MMC at the 10 weeks ultrasound.
FET#4 2018
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tryingforbaby » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:26 pm

Thanks for your encouragement! I'm hoping that at my appointment I'll have some answers, if not good news!
tryingforbaby

Postby BeeCee33 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:39 pm

That sounds like my periods! Mine used to be 4-5 days and at least one or two of those was heavy flow. I had my son in 2015 (no trouble getting pregnant with him) and had an emergency c-section. I had a mirena IUD placed 6 weeks post partum and had it removed almost exactly a year later. I never had a period while on the mirena, but I would get cramps about once a month, so I believe my cycle had returned.

After getting it out, my periods were little more than spotting for a couple of days. They have since gotten slightly better, but I still haven't gone back to using tampons, as a panty liner is usually all I need. They never last more than 2 days.

I have asked 5 different doctors about this-- my PCP, my old OBGYN, a Perinatologist, my new OBGYN, and my aunt who is an OBGYN. They all gave me the same answer: a short, light period is not indicative of a lining problem. Periods change and looking at your period alone can't tell you that something is "wrong" as almost anything goes. So there's the professionals' take on the matter.

My personal opinion is that it makes me uncomfortable having almost no period. I had two early miscarriages soon after getting my mirena out and then several suspected chemicals. It's been almost 2 years now and still no pregnancy. We checked my lining for scar tissue and there was none. I do have slight insulin resistance, and while I don't have cysts, I still think pcos is a possibility for me (none of these docs have done blood work beyond checking my progesterone, which was fairly low, so they put me on letrozole). I do ovulate regularly, which is what they say they care about the most when judging if your cycle is healthy.

While a short, light period isn't necessary indicative of a problem, there are problems that can have it as a symptom, like PCOS (so either annovulation or weak ovulation-- this is treated with ovulation inductors such as clomid or letrozole), Asherman's sydrome (scar tissue in the uterus, which is rare, but possible after surgery or a d&c), and in some cases endometriosis, but that usually causes the opposite problem. Of these, PCOS is the most easily diagnosed and treated, so they likely won't look into the others without other symptoms.

I hope that helps!
Me (Becca): 33 DH:38

BFP Feb 20, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

BFP June 2, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

Henry James born 7/2015

Giving letrozole a try at 2.5 mg:
Cycle 1-- BFN
Cycle 2-- BFN
Added progesterone
Cycle 3-- BFN
Cycle 4-- BFN
Cycle 5-- IUI #1 10/4/18