Info and how-to when using new features on the upgraded TWW!

The latest from TwoWeekWait.com

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Info and how-to when using new features on the upgraded TWW!

Postby unaffected » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:46 am

First, a quick rundown of some changes and improvements that you may or may not be aware of:

• No longer are email addresses displayed below your posts or in your profile. This was changed for privacy reasons.
    • Only BBCode is accepted now, no more HTML. This is why your signature may look funny. Read below on how to update your signature.
    • A size limit was set for avatar images. This makes it so the structure of the forums isn't rendered wonky when someone has an extremely large avatar photo. The default setting was 80px by 80px, but that has been changed to 200x200. Please read below if you wish to know how to enlarge your current avatar.
    • A new color scheme option has been added. As much as we all love the pink and blue, a neutral gray was added as well.
    • You can now report spam when you see it. There will be a little icon in the upper right hand of a post that looks like an exclamation point. You can click that to easily report spam. This notifies the moderators so we can take care of it!
    • The Journal feature has been retired. As it was a rarely-used function, the owners/admin thought it was best to focus efforts on maintaining the more popular aspects of the site.
    • There is now a Quick Reply option to posts, which is very convenient.

ACCESSING THE USER CONTROL PANEL

With the new forum software, when wanting to make changes to your signature, profile, settings, avatar, etc, you now click on User Control Panel.

Once in the User Control Panel, you'll notice many more features and options than what was previously available. Here is what the User Control Panel main screen looks like:

As you can see, there are several tabs that you can navigate. By default, the Overview tab will come up automatically. In the Overview tab, one nice feature is the ability to Manage subscriptions (any threads or forums you subscribe to, which makes it easier to find them and to receive notifications when there is an update). Also in the Overview tab is the Manage bookmarks feature, where you can easily access topics you have bookmarked for later reading or easy locating. You can also save your message drafts in this new software. If you do, you can manage and edit your drafts in the Overview tab as well, by clicking on the Manage drafts option.

The next tab, beside Overview, is Profile.

In the Profile screen, you can adjust your settings, avatar, signature, etc.

Clicking on Edit signature will pull up a text entry screen so that you can edit/create your signature. One really nice feature is the ability to make enhancements to yoursignature text, just like you would in a new post. With options such as color, bold, URL, etc, you can customize your signature more easily than before.

Below the Edit signature option, you'll see Edit avatar. When we made the switch over to the new site, we set a limit on avatar size (80 pixels by 80 pixels). Turns out that's pretty small! All avatars were automatically adjusted in the process. The admins have changed it so that avatars can now be a maximum size of 200 pixels by 200 pixels.

In order to adjust your current avatar to a larger size, simply go down to the Avatar dimensions text boxes and delete the numbers out of there. Please note: this will ONLY work if your avatar photo is already 200 pixels wide or less. If it is larger than that or you get an error, please move on to the next step. If you do not get an error, your avatar photo should be larger!

If you have gotten an error, you have a couple options. You can either:
    1. Adjust the size of your photo to 200 px wide maximum in a photo editing program (Photoshop, Paint, etc), or adjust the size on Photobucket or wherever you are hosting the photo. Then re-upload or re-link the newly sized photo. Or...
    2. Guesstimate. In the Avatar dimensions text boxes, you can put 200 in each of the blank text boxes, and see what it gives you! This WILL resize your photo, but the proportions will most likely be off (i.e. you will have a squished photo or a stretched photo). You can play around with the options here until your photo looks normal (For a vertical/portrait photo, set the second text box to 200 and adjust the first one until your photo looks normal. For a horizontal/landscape photo, set the first text box to 200 and adjust the second box until your photo looks normal by trying different numbers, such as 175, 150, 125, etc. until it looks right).

Finally, the last option under the Profile tab is the Edit account settings option. Here you can update your email address (which will require activating the account via the new email address), or change your password.

The next tab over is Board Preferences. I'm not going to go through all of the options, as most are self-explanatory. But, I do want to mention that there is now an option for a new color scheme! Previously the only options were pink or blue. There is now a gray option as well.

And after that tab, is the Private messages tab. Here is where you can compose, read, and check the status of your private messages.

There is an interesting new tab called Friends & Foes. I'll admit, I've not really played around with this much, but it seems interesting enough. Here you can add members to either your friends or foes list, which alters some viewing settings.
Me (Kara): 30 DH: 30 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Betas: 8dp6dt/14dpo - 124; 10dp6dt/16dpo - 317; 16dp6dt/22dpo - 6,289; 23dp6dt/29dpo - 32,961
It's a boy!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Re: Info and how-to when using new features on the upgraded

Postby nicolettesharpe » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:47 pm

I tried to add my chart using the BBC code to my signature field and it keeps saying "The field “Signature” is too long, a maximum of 0 characters is allowed." What am I doing wrong?
nicolettesharpe
Friend

Postby unaffected » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:01 am

nicolettesharpe wrote:I tried to add my chart using the BBC code to my signature field and it keeps saying "The field “Signature” is too long, a maximum of 0 characters is allowed." What am I doing wrong?

New users need to have their first three posts approved before they are able to post freely and add a signature. This helps us control spam. So in a couple more posts, you will be able to add your chart!

Thanks, and welcome! :mrgreen:
TTC#1 since 2007
FET#3 - BFP!
Betas: 8dp6dt/14dpo - 124; 10dp6dt/16dpo - 317; 16dp6dt/22dpo - 6,289; 23dp6dt/29dpo - 32,961
It's a boy!
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby nicolettesharpe » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:29 am

Thanks!
nicolettesharpe
Friend

Postby nicolettesharpe » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:23 am

I just tried to add a post and it said: "This message was flagged as spam and has been denied." I save it as a draft. I am not spamming, please help.
nicolettesharpe
Friend

Postby unaffected » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:20 pm

nicolettesharpe wrote:I just tried to add a post and it said: "This message was flagged as spam and has been denied." I save it as a draft. I am not spamming, please help.

Hmm... Were you trying to include a link to something? Let me know, that may help us sort this out!
TTC#1 since 2007
FET#3 - BFP!
It's a boy!
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby unaffected » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:21 pm

nicolettesharpe wrote:I just tried to add a post and it said: "This message was flagged as spam and has been denied." I save it as a draft. I am not spamming, please help.

Oh, and maybe just try posting that message anyway? If it gets flagged, it should come to me and I can approve it, and hopefully the system will know you aren't spam!
TTC#1 since 2007
FET#3 - BFP!
It's a boy!
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby nicolettesharpe » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:24 pm

I did include a link to my chart. It won;t let me post it anyway.....weird. I will try to deleted the link and see what happens.
nicolettesharpe
Friend

Postby AnnaJuly » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 pm

just want to say, liking the changes :D
AnnaJuly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MorePuppies » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:08 am

Not sure if this is the right place to be... I am curious about on the side of the board index...there are little circles with what looks like to be some symbol...of maybe writing? and some of the symbols are scrolling, and some are not.
What is this all about?
Me - 40
DH - 40
DS - 20 mos
m/c - 3/2013
MorePuppies
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby unaffected » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:23 am

MorePuppies wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to be... I am curious about on the side of the board index...there are little circles with what looks like to be some symbol...of maybe writing? and some of the symbols are scrolling, and some are not.
What is this all about?

Well, when the symbol is pink, that means there are unread posts. When the symbol has a star in it, that means you have posted in that thread. When the symbol is scrolling, that means that it is a very popular thread with lots of pages of posts. Hope that helps! :)
TTC#1 since 2007
FET#3 - BFP!
It's a boy!
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby MorePuppies » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:51 pm

Thank you unaffected!
Me - 40
DH - 40
DS - 20 mos
m/c - 3/2013
MorePuppies
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby silverviper86 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:07 pm

I'm new to this site- how do I upload a profile picture? I see a place to put a URL, but it won't copy and paste a pic from my facebook, and I don't see how to upload one that's saved on my computer. (I'm not the most computer- savvy person in the world) :)
Me: Ashley - Dh: Evan
DD: Quinn Michele born 3/3/14 :)
silverviper86
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby unaffected » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:19 am

silverviper86 wrote:I'm new to this site- how do I upload a profile picture? I see a place to put a URL, but it won't copy and paste a pic from my facebook, and I don't see how to upload one that's saved on my computer. (I'm not the most computer- savvy person in the world) :)

Facebook may not let you because of privacy settings. Most people use a free hosting site to upload their photos to. Photobucket.com is a popular free one, but there is also tinypic.com. Once you upload your photo to a hosting site, copy and paste the direct link (URL) of the photo, and you should be good to go!

:mrgreen:
TTC#1 since 2007
FET#3 - BFP!
It's a boy!
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby silverviper86 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:36 am

Thanks- I tried, but it still didn't work. Oh well!
Me: Ashley - Dh: Evan
DD: Quinn Michele born 3/3/14 :)
silverviper86
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to News and Announcements