I'm afraid

This is the place to visit if you need the strength of prayers from your community of friends. Visit often, and receive encouragement to support you in your time of special need.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

I'm afraid

Postby B Michaelson » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:04 am

We want a family. We have put it off for a long time so we could be ready. We are finally married and our relationship is very stable. We both have good jobs; stressful jobs, but jobs that pay well, have benefits and are secure. We are moving into a new house very soon. We are almost right where we feel we need to be for this to work, yet I'm still afraid.

I have always wanted to be a mother and DH would be an amazing father. I am smart and caring, but I also have my issues. I have struggled with depression and anxiety. I didn't have the easiest childhood (I know, who does?). I am a lazy person and I am ashamed of it.

I feel like not only might I be a failure as a mother but I worry about the genes and emotional baggage I might pass onto my child. My father has emotional issues of which I am certain are chemical and I have been passed onto me. A few months before I met DH I had just gotten out of an abusive relationship. To this day I am still so ashamed I allowed this to happen. Even though it has been almost 10 years he still stalks me. I do not want to allow him to control my life, but what if he ever brings harm to my family? I could not live with that. I hate living in the shadows and having to hide and worry he will find me again.

I feel like such a failure. Before DH and I married, I used to tell him he should not have children with me. I didn't always mean it but I felt I did not deserve them and I was afraid that I would not be able to protect my kids from the pain in the world. I know it is impossible for anyone to do this but I was convinced that I would be responsible for any suffering that occurred because of my choice to bring them into this world.

It took a long time but that went away and DH and I finally feel like we can do this. But for some reason those fears keep creeping back. I feel like I'm not good enough yet. I feel guilty that I don't exersize enough, eat healthy enough, or clean my house enough. I feel like I still have some healing to do. But I'm also scared if I wait to long the choice will be made for me.

Do normal people also worry about these kinds of things? I know I will never be perfect and the time may never be right, but what if we do this and I never change? What if I mess this up?

Please try not to judge me, I just needed a place to get this out. It comes and goes and I can't really talk to anyone about it. DH is very understanding but I hate to burden him when I feel this way. If you have a moment please say a small prayer for me that I will find strength and clarity.

Thanks.
Me - 36
Hashimotos, JHS/EDS, ANA negative, 1 Fallopian tube
DH - 41
TTC #1 Aug 2012 - May 2014
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016
May 2017 :bfp:

:angel: Our Angels :angel:
2004 - 7.5 weeks
Oct 2013 - 6w6d ruptured ectopic
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: I'm afraid

Postby orionslight » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:53 am

first of all *hugs*. you have to learn to forgive yourself, the guilt is holding you back. trust in God and you will get there. if you dont know what to do , he does. i think it is fairly common to feel this way after a relationship like the one you had with the stalker, how scary. you can do this :) remember, you are not alone, God is with you always.
Baby Ireland is here! 4-18-2014
Joining her 11 brothers and sisters
Loss July 2015@ 11+3, girl Artemis
Loss June 2016@ 13+5, baby boy
orionslight
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks orionslight.

We are trying again this month and I'm coming to accept that I can never be perfect at this but am in a good place and have a wonderful husband. Still very nervous but it will be ok.
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016
May 2017 :bfp:

:angel: Our Angels :angel:
2004 - 7.5 weeks
Oct 2013 - 6w6d ruptured ectopic
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ogaia » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:56 am

My heart goes out to you and I pray that you can let go of the past, embrace His love for you and find the strength and clarity you desire. I believe it is normal to have concerns about what kind of parent we are going to be. I too ask myself this question. I think it is natural and also reassuring that you want to enter into this new stage of your life with awareness.

Hugs to you!
Ogaia
Friend

Postby B Michaelson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks Ogaia.
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016