Thyroxine after removal - did that cause it?

Are you ready to start trying again after a loss? Ask questions or find buddies here.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Thyroxine after removal - did that cause it?

Postby tracy107 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:46 am

I had my thyroid removed in June 2009 and started ttc almost straight away, even without the support of my doctor. We caught the egg first cycle in July but I had a very e/mc in August at around 5.5 weeks (doc called it very early and said i'd only be about 3 weeks).

At the time my thyroxine wasn't settled. Did that cause the miscarriage?

They've never completely managed to get my dosage exactly right. I'm on 125 now, and do occasionally forget to take it too.

What are the odds of it being the thyroid trouble and of it happening again?

It's a big worry that it'll keep happening, but they've tried for 2 years to balance the meds and nobody knows why they won't settle. Doc is happy for us to be going ahead, even sending us for fertility appointments.
me - Tracy 32, DH - Rob 36
DD1 - Kayleigh 11

Been ttc since 6/09. 8 years
EM/c 8/09
EM/c 6/12
Trying for precious #2.
Thyroid removed 6/09

Furbaby Esme the kitty- 10

tracy107
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby crowley74 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:43 am

I hope you get lots of replies on this post. I was dx with hypothyroidism last year.in March and was stabilized on levothyroixe very quickly. In July we conceived. I got a + hpt test at 11 dpo... on the day af was meant to show I started spotting.Blood results showed very good betas and progesterone.

Though everyone tried to reassure us we would be ok, I just had this horrible feeling it wouldnt be. For 4 more weeks the spotting continued, nearly always brown but at times bright red. We had the 3 scans... the first scan showed the sac only, a week later we saw the heartbeat, then 2 weeks later the baby was there but the heart had stopped. The baby measured at 6+4 weeks.

The midwife assured us that it was just "one of those things..." but something inside me always wonders was it my hypothyroidism that caused it... I suppose we will never know.I do know that the heartache of losing our baby was very tramatic, something I would never wish on anyone.

We are ready to try again. I have lost loads of weight.I am healthier than ever. My thyroid is under control with medication. But I am terrified it will happen again. We want another child, this will be our 3rd, and so we are going to try. I am just praying our little one will find a nice cozy place and we will have a healthy 9 months.

Best of luck to us both!! xxx
crowley74
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby tracy107 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:30 am

Thanks for the reply crowley.

It's terrifying me that this month is a bfp (I'm having lots of faint bfps) but it won't stick, or after reading stuff that I'm in for a hellish 9 months or that the baby won't be healthy.

I guess I'm gonna just have to bite back the fear and hope for the best eh.

Fingers crossed for us both
me - Tracy 32, DH - Rob 36
DD1 - Kayleigh 11

Been ttc since 6/09. 8 years
EM/c 8/09
EM/c 6/12
Trying for precious #2.
Thyroid removed 6/09

Furbaby Esme the kitty- 10

tracy107
BabyDuster
BabyDuster