TTC after Ectopic resolved with Methotrexate

Are you ready to start trying again after a loss? Ask questions or find buddies here.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

TTC after Ectopic resolved with Methotrexate

Postby RyansMom » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:15 am

My hubby & I started TTC in February and got pregnant in our first month trying, but was diagnosed as an ectopic pregnancy at about 6 1/2 weeks. I was fortunate to be able to save both tubes & avoid surgery. After 4 shots of methotrexate (2 shots each time, a week apart), my hcg levels dropped down to 5 in the middle of April, at which point the doctor said that was close enough to being resolved & that I didn't have to repeat bloodwork again. I had a period almost immediately after my levels dropped (and we actually saw an egg in my left tube via ultrasound 2 weeks beforehand...the ectopic was in the right tube). My doctor said that after I had one full cycle, we could start trying again.

On May 20th, I got another period on CD 35. I've been on birth control from the time I was 17 up until we started TTC in Feb (my 4yo DS was unplanned....he was conceived while I was on BC, but had recently had knee surgery where the Dr put an antibiotic in my knee), so I've only had this one full cycle off BC and I'm not sure if my normal cycle is 35 days or if my body is still regulating itself after the ectopic. We started TTC again this month and I am currently on CD 33. If I do have a 35 day cycle, AF would be due on Monday. I have had a slew of pregnancy symptoms, but I'm not sure how many of those are in my head (I'm starting to make myself crazy here!).

Has anyone else TTC after an ectopic pregnancy? If so, how long did it take for your cycles to regulate? And how long did it take for you to conceive after the ectopic (if you have done so successfully)?

Thanks in advance & sticky baby dust to all!
Elysia - Devoted mom, step-mom & wife <3

DS Born 5/2009
TTC#2 2/2013
Ectopic Pregnancy 3/2013
TTC#2 again since 6/2013
MC 5 weeks 8/2013
BFP 11/15/2013
1st beta (14 dpo): 186
2nd beta (16 dpo): 457
3rd beta (18dpo): 946
4th beta (21dpo): 3201
U/S 11/26 (21dpo) showed one healthy sac in my uterus measuring perfectly for 5w1d!!
U/S 12/10 (7w1d) heartbeat 143 bpm, measuring 6w6d...so far, so good!

Babydust to all!

http://FertilityFriend.com/home/465725/

RyansMom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: TTC after Ectopic resolved with Methotrexate

Postby Sen » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:18 am

Hello Ryansmom, so sorry to see you here and also of your EP.
I belong to a website called The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust, everyone there are EP survivers, some are TTC, some are there for support and others are there to share their post EP pregnancy stories - I would recommend joining as there aren't may of us here on TWW..

For me personally, I sadly lost my left tube after a rupture at 9 weeks (yeah, unlucky huh?!), I took 3 months out to heal. I was a mess, emotionally and physically.
DP and I TTC for two months following that break, but without success. My cycles were still a little whacky tbh, even after all that time. I was heartbroken seeing my last BFN in April, so needed another month out and stopped TTC in May.

My O date was always CD16 before the EP, and my cycles 27 days.
After the EP, my O date was between CD19 - 21 with cycles between 29-33 days long.

Last month, I O'ed CD17, the closest yet and finally I feel as if my body is settling down again - 6.5 months later!! It's not the first time i've heard of that too.

A lot of people get pregnant very quickly again after, I really hope this will be you because once you've been through something like that, TTC becomes all the more frightening, exhausting and emotional.

I really wish you the best of luck!
Sen x
Charlotte (34) DF (23) DS1 (2)
'One n Done' for now.

:angel2: M/C 4th Sep 2012
:angel2: Ectopic & Left-Side Salpingectomy 4th Dec 2012
:bfp: 11th July 2013
Sen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby radkitten » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:08 am

I wish I could give better advice. I didn't do the MTX because I also had a large cyst related to the pregnancy hormones, so they did a lap and drained my cyst and removed the ectopic pregnancy and my left tube. I also had a D&C while I was in there.

I just now got my first period post ectopic and it has been excruciating. I think it's from all of the scar tissue from the lap, etc.

Once the ectopic was removed though I ovulated about 3 weeks later and my AF was right on time for 14 DPO.

My RE gave me the go ahead to TTC again right away, before my first AF post-ectopic. I didn't have very good chances this first O as it was on the left side. I go in this Tuesday morning for an ultrasound though and as long as it is clear he is starting me on Clomid. I know with the MTX you have to wait 3 months to get your folic acid levels back up again.

I wish you the best of luck hun. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Me (31) - Homozygous MTHFR A1298C, Endometriosis, Left Fallopian Tube removed
DH (33) - Normal
Married - 09/09/09

First ever :bfp: 5/6/13
5-17-13 - D&C and ectopic pregnancy removal at 5w5d. Lost left fallopian tube. Right ovarian cyst removed.

Aug 2013 - 1st clomid cycle (50mg CD3-7). 5 follies, missed ovulation, timed intercourse. BFN
Nov 2013 - Jan 2014 - Follicles all on the left.
Feb 2014 - 5mg Femara CD3-7 - Cyst on left ovary, 18mm follie right ovary! Trigger 2/20, IUI 2/22 BFN
October 2014 - IVF #1. Retrieval October 22nd?

radkitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby RyansMom » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:01 am

Sen, thank you! I will check that website out :-) I'm so sorry that you have had to go through an ectopic pregnancy....it's not fun. It must have been so scary when you ruptured. I guess I was lucky in a way. I started spotting at 5 weeks and my doctor sent me for a few blood tests. The hcg levels weren't doubling, so between that & the spotting, we figured out what was going on before I ruptured. The methotrexate wasn't a walk in the park either, but I consider myself fortunate to have walked away relatively unscathed (at least physically).

AF ended up coming on CD33 this month (Saturday), but we're looking forward to trying again in a few weeks. I'm still not sure of my regular cycle length/day of ovulation. Last month is was 35 days, this time 33...so I guess i tend to have a longer cycle? Either that or my body just hasn't regulated itself. I definitely ovulated after the ectopic resolved...we saw the egg in my left tube on the ultrasound. so everything appears to be working as it should. The internet says I should ovulate sometime around July 10-14 this cycle, so I bought some OPKs at the dollar store & will start testing around the 8th. FX! Of course, the fun just begins once I get a BFP...blood tests every 2 days for the first week & then weekly blood tests after that until my levels reach 2000, at which point they will do an ultrasound. I just hope & pray that the next pregnancy doesn't end up being another ectopic. I don't know that I could handle that emotionally! FX for you that you end up with a BFP & a sticky baby that wants to stick in the right place this month!! :-)

radkitten, I'm sorry you've had to join our little club :-( My periods have also been more painful since the ectopic, but it is hard to tell if that is due to the ectopic or if this is how a normal period (when not on birth control) feels...I've only had 2 cycles off BC since I was 17! The nice thing about you not getting the methotrexate is that you can start TTC right away. I had to wait for my levels to get down to 0 (which took 6 weeks) & then had to wait for a full cycle to start trying again. Even though this month was not my month, I keep telling myself it is for the best because that gives me an extra month to build up my folic acid supply (I have been taking a prenatal & an extra folic acid daily to build it back up since my levels went down to 0 mid-April). I hope the ultrasound comes out clear & that you get that BFP soon!

DS Born 5/2009
TTC#2 2/2013
Ectopic Pregnancy 3/2013
TTC#2 again since 6/2013
MC 5 weeks 8/2013
BFP 11/15/2013
U/S 11/26 (21dpo) showed one healthy sac in my uterus measuring perfectly for 5w1d!!

Babydust to all!

RyansMom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby radkitten » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:22 am

I was scared of the same thing with potentially taking the MTX. For me though, having the lap turned out to be a blessing in disguise because that entire tube was severely damaged for me, which was what caused my ectopic. So all in all it helped me out in the end to figure out what was going on.

I will keep my FX for you that you get your sticky BFP =D!
DH (33) - Normal
Married - 09/09/09

5-17-13 - D&C and ectopic pregnancy removal at 5w5d. Lost left fallopian tube. Right ovarian cyst removed.

Aug 2013 - 1st clomid cycle (50mg CD3-7). 5 follies, missed ovulation, timed intercourse. BFN
Feb 2014 - 5mg Femara CD3-7 - Cyst on left ovary, 18mm follie right ovary! Trigger 2/20, IUI 2/22 BFN

radkitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby RyansMom » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:04 am

Its definitely a good thing they found the damage in your tube & removed it! My DS was born via emergency c-section & the incision got infected from the inside causing me to have a 2nd abdominal surgrery 12 days after he was born, so I'm thinking scar tissue may be what caused my ectopic and I am a little nervous about a repeat. But my doctor said that he doesn't recommend any invasive procedures after just one ectopic pregnancy. If I have another ectopic, I would probably need to do an hsg to see what is going on, but I really hope that doesn't end up being the case!!

DS Born 5/2009
TTC#2 2/2013
Ectopic Pregnancy 3/2013
TTC#2 again since 6/2013
MC 5 weeks 8/2013
BFP 11/15/2013

Babydust to all!

RyansMom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby radkitten » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:54 am

I would imagine that is it. From all my reading about it they said it was common for women who had a previous c-section to have a slightly elevated risk of ectopic. Your doctor is right though and you shouldn't have to worry :D! Plus, they can catch it early again as well now since we are forever in that "high risk" category until they rule it out.
DH (33) - Normal
Married - 09/09/09

radkitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby RyansMom » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:38 am

Unfortunately so! Although, I do appreciate all the early screenings. I remember when I was pregnant with my son, I had no idea what was going on in my body....didn't even see the Dr until I was 6 or 7 weeks & didn't get my first ultrasound until 13 weeks. This time, I will at least get to see a teeny tiny little bean when my hcg levels reach 2000 :-)

Now if only I could figure out what the heck my body is doing! My cycle in May last 35 days & then I had AF for 8 days. Last cycle was 33 days & I am on CD4 & AF already seems to be gone (or at least will be by the end of the day). These irregular cycles make it very hard to track anything! I'm not sure if the irregularity is my norm (it IS the reason I went on BC in the first place when I was 17) or if my body is still regulating itself after the ectopic. Whatever the reason, I find it very frustrating!!

DS Born 5/2009
TTC#2 2/2013
Ectopic Pregnancy 3/2013
TTC#2 again since 6/2013
MC 5 weeks 8/2013
BFP 11/15/2013

Babydust to all!

RyansMom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to TTC After a Loss