Two Miscarriages in a Row after Postpartum Preeclampsia

Are you ready to start trying again after a loss? Ask questions or find buddies here.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Two Miscarriages in a Row after Postpartum Preeclampsia

Postby entrepagnier » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:54 pm

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone out there has been in a similar situation that I am in. I have two sons - an 11 year old from a previous relationship and a 2 year old with my husband. I had no problems during either pregnancy. However, about a week after my 2 year old was born, my legs began swelling tremendously - something I had not experienced the first go around. I called my doctor about 2 days after I noticed the swelling and realized it wasn't going down. She called me in some Lasix and said she wanted to see me the next day. When I went in, my blood pressure was 150/90 - much higher than my usual 110/60s. She admitted me back into the hospital and put me on a magnesium drip for about 24 hours. When I was discharged home, I had to start Procardia and remained on that for about a month. This was in 2011. I found out I was pregnant again in October of 2012 - yay - couldn't wait to expand our family. Something didn't feel right to me from the beginning though. I wasn't as sick as I was with the last one - and when I say sick, I had to take Phenergan almost everyday for him to keep my food down. Some other things felt kind of "off" as well and I started noticing that I was having a constant dull backache. I was two weeks away from my appointment, so I just figured I would wait and see what my doctor said. After all, I hadn't had any problems before. Well when I went for my appointment, all they saw on ultrasound was a yolk sac and a fetal pole and the tech said that I was earlier than I thought - I knew something was wrong then, I know by body like the back of my hand and I ovulate like clockwork. My lab work showed that my progesterone was low and so they began supplements. I had a repeat ultrasound the following week to make sure everything was ok and at this point, we saw a heartbeat - although the tech said she thought it was a little slow for where I should be. I had to go back again the next week and it was at this one that we saw there was no heartbeat anymore. I had a D&C the following Monday. Needless to say, it was a shocker, considering I had not, to my knowledge, had any problems before. We were pretty devastated. Fast forward a few months and in May of this year, I found myself preganant again. Same thing this time - didn't exactly feel right, the dull low backache, progesterone was low, and I even started the supplements at 4 weeks this time instead of 6. But I believe it was inevitable - at 5 weeks I started bleeding. I was out of town, so I notified my doctor when I got back and she made me go in for an ultrasound to see if I had passed the sac or not and ended up having to have another D&C. She has tested me for, what feels like, everything under the sun. I don't have the MTHFR mutation. I don't have antiphospholipid syndrome. ALL of my blood work has come back normal. Which is good and frustrating all at the same time. She sent the tissues off for chromosomal tests this time, but we haven't heard back from the lab yet. She said she really thinks this has to have been another fluke - but I don't want to keep going through this over and over again in thoughts that there may be something wrong with me. I was told that my postpartum pre-eclampsia could have been an immune response - apparently it's so rare that there isn't much information on why it happens. Could it be possible that after that immune response, my body made antibodies and is now rejecting my pregnancies? Maybe that is crazy talk and speculation - but being a nurse, I need some REASON to wrap my brain around all of this. Plus I'm scared to try again only to have this happen a third time. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Or know of anyone who has? Is there something else I can ask her to test me for that she hasn't already? Any information AT ALL would be helpful for me. Right now I am just so confused and would just like some direction either way. Thanks for reading - sorry for the lengthy post.
entrepagnier

Re: Two Miscarriages in a Row after Postpartum Preeclampsia

Postby hopeful88 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:38 am

I don't have any experience with what you are dealing with, but I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am to hear of your losses. I hope you and your dr figure things out soon!

It is an interesting theory you have about the antibodies and rejecting pregnancy. Hopefully you will get some more information from the tissues. I also know people who had issues carrying girls but then gave birth to a healthy boy. Would be interesting if the loses were girls, since you have two boys. They should be able to tell from the tissue.

Best of luck!
hopeful88

Postby vg29 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:27 am

Sorry quick question whats the main difference in post partum pre eclampsia and normal pre eclampsia..i had pre eclampsia with my first and recently had a miscarriage with my 2nd..probably just one of those things but would be interested in any theories on this...im ttc again for 3rd time
vg29
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby entrepagnier » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Thank you so much for your comments! The losses have been hard, but I have not lost hope. My want for another child is greater than my fear of going through this again. I am hoping that we will have more success in the future. I did FINALLY get results from the tissues my doctor had tested. She said that the baby had an extra chromosome, I think she said trisomy 2, which is incompatible with life and that there was nothing we could have done to prevent the miscarriage from happening. So while having to suffer another loss was awful, I am glad to hear that it wasn't me and my body did the right thing. It actually gave me some hope, even though I am still left wondering about a lot of things.. I did not honestly even think to ask what the sex of the baby was. I guess I was so relieved to hear that it wasn't me that I did not ask her for anymore details. I'm actually kicking myself now because I didn't ask for tissue testing the first time. It really makes me wonder what the deal is because she said this was a problem with this particular conception and should not happen again. But is this what caused me to miscarry the first time? Or was it something else that has to do with me? I hate all of these unknowns. I find myself dwelling on everything for so long that I end up losing sleep over something that I might have done wrong the first time it happened. Plus my due date was in July, which was even harder - second miscarriage right before the initial due date was like salt in the wound. I would like to start trying again in September, so I guess we'll just have to see how that goes. I've been praying that this has just been a string of bad luck that will soon be over. As far as the question about postpartum preeclampsia vs normal preeclampsia...there isn't too much information on postpartum preeclampsia. If you google it, you get something on these lines - "Postpartum preeclampsia is a rare condition that occurs when a woman has high blood pressure and excess protein in her urine soon after childbirth. The causes of postpartum preeclampsia aren't well understood. While preeclampsia is typically cured by childbirth, it's believed that postpartum preeclampsia is set into motion during pregnancy but doesn't cause symptoms until after delivery." Since childbirth will usually cure preeclampsia during pregnancy, they say postpartum preeclampsia is much more dangerous to mom because there is no quick fix like delivery to treat it. Plus they say the symptoms can often times go unnoticed due to mom being already tired, swollen, etc. so it can rapidly develop into full blown eclampsia or HELLP syndrome. I knew the swelling I was having in my legs was definitely abnormal and I started having really awful headaches. I had a black spot in my vision for awhile after, but it finally went away. Hopefully it is something you do not have to deal with! Being re-hospitalized a week after birth to be put on a magnesium drip is no fun. Especially when you have a 9 year old and an infant at home to take care of. If my blood pressure wasn't high already, it definitely was after I found out I would have to leave them. :( Good luck with ttc again!
entrepagnier

Return to TTC After a Loss