bleeding after d&c?

Are you ready to start trying again after a loss? Ask questions or find buddies here.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

bleeding after d&c?

Postby operationindigo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:40 am

Hi all.

I had a D&C on Thursday. Dr. said he used suction. I was about 7-8 weeks at the time and it was a blighted ovum. I had very minimal bleeding afterwards that had disappeared to a day or two of no bleeding at all - I had next to no cramping afterward. Now today, 5-6 days later, I'm bleeding and cramping like it's my period. Has anyone else had this happen? There doesn't seem to be anything large passing, no clots or anything like that but I am cramping like a period and it looks just like a period. Is this from the surgery or could this be a period?
Me: 27, history of short LP & irregular bleeding
Partner: 30
TTC Cycle #Who knows?

BFP#1: Baby Kaden, miscarriage @ 8 weeks (D&C) 6/12/14

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/4dde08
operationindigo

Re: bleeding after d&c?

Postby ekkotack » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:24 am

Hi, so sorry for your loss..... :(

I hear that you have to be without bleeding for 3-4 weeks in order to consider it to be a "period." Also, I would think that after a d&c your body hasn't had time to build up enough uterine lining to shed for a true period yet. So this is probably just an adjustment that your body is going through and then in a few weeks you should hopefully have your regular cycle. But if the bleeding gets heavy or you're having contractions, call your doctor!

Also, have you been testing your HCG to see if that's gotten back down to 0? That's a problem that a couple of us gals have been dealing with on here, so it's a good thing to keep an eye on.
Me: Ekko, newly 35 and AMA on the front of my chart :(
DH: Jamie, 33
Mommy to Ellis Mae, born 10/26/12

*Angel babies*
Oct 2013 d&c
April 2014 d&c

BFP 8/22/14 grow baby, grow! !
ekkotack
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby operationindigo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:29 am

How do you test your HCG levels? Do I ask my doctor to do that? I scheduled my follow up appointment but I feel like I was kind of brushed off - its not for another month because there wasn't anything available. They didn't give me too many clear instructions. I have been temping so that I understand what's going on with my body and today my temp dipped below my typical coverline temperature and its been 6 days.

Yesterday I crashed. I tried to work on some school work and had to put it aside because I couldn't focus on it. I just laid around the house and sobbed and watched TV, I couldn't peel myself off the couch for anything. I feel like I'm starting to feel better some days and then I just crash. I've only left the house to go for a walk with my dog, which lead me to some intense cramping. I want to be able to feel better so badly. The only solace is knowing that we can try again soon.
TTC Cycle #Who knows?

operationindigo

Postby ekkotack » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:43 am

It takes everyone their own amount of time to heal both physically and emotionally, so be easy on yourself......As for checking your hcg, you can take cheapie pregnancy tests at home to watch the lines get lighter and know the HCG is leaving your system - or you might already test negative and that's a great thing! That way you know when you do get a line again it's really a new pregnancy. For me, because I've been getting BFPs every day for two months since my miscarriage, my doctor has been drawing labs to see exactly where my levels are at......but that seems to only be necessary to do if there's a problem. Good luck to you and hope you will be able to try again soon!

*Angel babies*
Oct 2013 d&c
April 2014 d&c

ekkotack
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ekkotack » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:07 pm

so for what it is worth, my doctor told me that one to two weeks after my D&C that I may have what appears to be a Period, but cannot count it really as one and that I should then get a cycle about 4 weeks later. so, for you, maybe this early bleeding was just that early pretend period, and you might get a real cycle in 4 weeks??

*Angel babies*
Oct 2013 d&c
April 2014 d&c

ekkotack
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby operationindigo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:15 pm

I bought a bulk package of wondfo tests online and I tested today and it was negative. I am now 12 days post d&c. My bleeding has totally subsided as of Sunday/Monday. So it looks like things are on the right track? How is your healing? Do you plan on trying again soon or waiting?
TTC Cycle #Who knows?

operationindigo

Postby ekkotack » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:13 am

glad your tests are back to negative! That is very good news! Hopefully you'll be getting your regular cycle back soon. I just had my D&C on Monday and so after I have one AF then we will start TTC again. Really trying to stay optimistic!

*Angel babies*
Oct 2013 d&c
April 2014 d&c

ekkotack
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby operationindigo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:24 pm

How necessary is it to wait until you have a first AF before trying again? I haven't found too much information about it. Some people seem to be told to wait, others not. The only concern I could find is that your uterine lining needs to build up enough to be able to support a pregnancy. My thinking is that if I didn't have enough lining built up for support, implantation just wouldn't be able to take place. Also, does a d&c remove more lining than is normally shed during menstruation? I looked for answers to this question but couldn't find much information. My Dr's office couldn't give me an explanation either.

My intuitive feeling is that if my body was not ready to conceive, then I wouldn't. But then again I don't want to make a bad choice because I am stubborn. I feel emotionally propelled I suppose, because the only thing that feels like real healing could take place is by trying again and I desperately want to get to that place where I am okay. I feel alright most of the time, but it keeps sneaking up on me and then I get into a dark place about it.
TTC Cycle #Who knows?

operationindigo

Postby ekkotack » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:24 am

The way my doctor explained it, yes the lining of your uterus is thinner after a d&c so that is the reason for waiting for a full cycle. He told me I would be more likely to miscarry again if an egg implanted in that thin lining. There's mixed information out there on this subject...and I've heard of many women having a successful pregnancy without waiting for a full cycle in between. So, whatever you want to do I'm sure will be fine. It might not happen right away, either....we are supposedly more fertile after a d&c, but it took me 3 months to get BFP after my Oct 2013 D&C.

*Angel babies*
Oct 2013 d&c
April 2014 d&c

ekkotack
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to TTC After a Loss