One Wish * One Goal * One Day at a Time

This board is for anyone who wants to join or start a buddy group at TwoWeekWAIT.com.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Postby unaffected » Wed May 25, 2011 12:40 pm

waitingtobemommy wrote:One last thing:

Besides the obvious question of "what the hell is going on", does anyone have other questions I should be asking my RE when I speak to him? Should I be asking about particular protocols we should be trying, particular medications I should be on, ways to lower LH/FSH, etc? Anyone have any ideas of what dx he could give me or what dx I should ask if I have in regards to the high hormone levels?

Hey Jen, maybe you could send a PM to lisab? She has high FSH, and is also a nurse, and has helped me in the past come up with good questions for my doc. I know she's moving this week, but I'm sure she would be happy to help you if you messaged her!
Me (Kara): 30 DH: 30 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Betas: 8dp6dt/14dpo - 124; 10dp6dt/16dpo - 317; 16dp6dt/22dpo - 6,289; 23dp6dt/29dpo - 32,961
It's a boy!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby babydust2me » Wed May 25, 2011 1:59 pm

KMP - I always have to talk myself into working out so I'm sure you'll get there. Ugh I'm so sorry to hear about all the people having babies around you. It is hard so take the time to be upset if you need to. :hugs: Like the other ladies, you'll need to explain to him that IUIs are much more risky when it comes to multiples. And even if you do wind up with twins transferring 2, is it THAT terrible. Of course the pregnancy is riskier, but in the end, do you want more than one child? Do you really want to go through all this crap a second time? That's kind of the way DH and I see it. If we get twins we don't have to worry about trying again. Oh yeah and remember my DH is on this kick now where he wants to get pregnant for free and if it doesn't happen we just won't have kids :roll: I'm hoping he comes around soon because it's annoying.

Aleena - I have to agree - Tampons are SO much better than pads. I feel like I'm wearing a diaper when I have one of those on. :? I don't buy multiple pee sticks at the store because I don't want to hear the cashier's reactions! I hope your feeling is right and you do get a sticky BFP this month. Let us know every time you test!!

Talia - Yes you have children but it doesn't change the hurt from the losses you've sufferend and it certainly doesn't change your desire for another child. IF is hard no matter if it's primary or secondary. The only benefit you have over those of us with primary IF is that you don't have the fear of never having children. But it certainly doesn't take the pain of IF away.

Kara - That's great that you have a diagnosis even though it looks like IVF is where you're headed. It sort of is good news though, because instead of shelling the $$ for IVF and it just being a crap shoot, you've actually got a plan of action and that's some good news. The Micro-IVF sounds great. Does that include the meds? I wonder how much the Intralipid treatment costs. I'm also curious as to how the Micro IVF is different from the full IVF.

Paris Jen - No fluid!! :jump: That's so great! I'm very happy for you!! I don't envy you with all those injections but i'm sure you'll be a pro at it very soon. Keep us posted! Grow eggies grow!

Waiting Jen - That consult with Dr Sher sounds great! I hope you get some answers too. I'm not sure what to tell you to ask but "What the hell is going on" sounds like a great place to start. Let us know if you get any answers.

AFM - DH and I are leaving for our trip tomorrow so I apologize in advance for not posting because I probably won't post much until I'm back at work next Wednesday. I hope you ladies have a great week!
Cassidy (27) DH (28 ) TTC#1 since Oct 08

SA - Great!
HSG - All Clear
CD3 Bloodwork - Normal
IUI #1 March 2011 - Femara/HCG Trigger - BFN
IUI #2 November 2011 - Femara/Follistim/HCG Trigger - BFP!!!!

Morgan & Reagan arrived on 6/15/12 at 33 weeks!

babydust2me
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby aleena » Thu May 26, 2011 11:21 am

Paris Jen - :jump: :jump: :jump:
I'm soooo happy there's no fluid!!! Here's to a successful first IVF cycle! Getting really excited for you!!
On another note... Geeez... I can't believe your meds are THAT expensive! insurance not covering any of it? that's a lot of money! we have really good prescription coverage but i'm not sure if it depends on what you use it for. It might not cover anything if it's IVF related...Blah..

Cassidy - enjoy you weekend gettaway! supposed to be nice :) at least in Maryland :) we're gonna hit the beach Sunday and Monday! can't wait! my one size larger VS swim suit came yesterday so I'm dying to put it on! gotta do about a million abs before it look half way decent but oh well.. Also bought some self tanning lotion so I can look like a person with a pulse :)

Kara - please fill us in on what you've found out on your DX!

Waiting Jen - good luck at the appt. I keep thinking about what you should ask your RE... unfortunately I don't know much about extra testing since we've only done the besic stuff. But I'm sure there's different tests they can do. I'm also curious to know what he thinks the problem is.. Egg quality? And make sure you get a copy of your file to discuss it with Dr. Sher! I hope you get some answers soon... How frustrating!
I was thinking about you a lot yesterday. I remember after your loss the next cycle you were so determined and went for it full speed. I recognize some of that in me right now. I think it's that glimmer of hope that if it happed once it can happen again right away. my optimism this cycle is strange. and if I try to analize it I do think it's related to wanting so bad for those pink lines to come back and have that feeling again that there's a small life inside of me. you know exactly what I'm talking about I'm sure.. I'm just getting worried I will be disappointed again...

AFM - still feeling pretty good about this cycle.
I tested with a $ test today and BFN but I'm only 7 dpo. I will test agin tomorrow... I think! every now and then I have this intense AF feeling in my tummy for a few seconds then it goes away. It feels exactly like my BFP month! i hope it's real and not me imagining things...
If this is not the month I'm praying AF shows up on time. If she's only one day late it will compromize our June IUI becasue DH goes to a convention on the 15th.
Me-29 :love: DH-49
TTC #1 since November 2009
DX: moderate MFI
6 medicated cycles, 4 IUIs
:angel: at 5.5 wks April 2011

IVF #1 (ICSI) August 2011 - BFN :(
1 SNOWBABY :hb: (day 6 hatching blast)
FET October 11th 2011 - BFP @ 5dp6dt!!!

RONAN LEE is here! - June 25th, 2012 -7lbs 1 oz, 19 in
aleena
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby aleena » Thu May 26, 2011 12:52 pm

just posted over in POAS. I got a $ test with some potential :)
ohh..... I hate to be obsessing already!!!!!
Me-29 :love: DH-49
TTC #1 since November 2009
DX: moderate MFI
6 medicated cycles, 4 IUIs
:angel: at 5.5 wks April 2011

IVF #1 (ICSI) August 2011 - BFN :(
1 SNOWBABY :hb: (day 6 hatching blast)
FET October 11th 2011 - BFP @ 5dp6dt!!!

RONAN LEE is here! - June 25th, 2012 -7lbs 1 oz, 19 in
aleena
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby waitingtobemommy » Thu May 26, 2011 2:16 pm

Aleena: I posted in your POAS thread also, but I totally see the beginnings of a :bfp: !! :jump: :jump: :jump:

Also, I totally understand what you're saying about wanting to go full speed ahead with this cycle and having that sense of optimism. I'm praying that your m/c last cycle was in order to produce a much stronger babe this month that can go the 9-month distance!!! KUP with your tests!
Me (Jen): 34, DH: 35
TTC #1 for 4.5 years
3 BFN IUI- 2011
1 BFP IUI- March 2011
1 BFP IVF- December 2011
1 BFP FET- May 2012
:angel: @ 5 weeks; March 2011
:angel2: @ 8 weeks; Jan. 2012-Trisomy 16

DS Owen Matthew born 1/17/13 via FET
Surprise natural BFP 8/3/14! EDD 4/10/15!
waitingtobemommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby waitingtobemommy » Thu May 26, 2011 3:12 pm

I found this great article by Dr. Sher that mentions facts he had previously shared with Kara during their consult. Here's a blip about the risks of multiples (or lack there if you ovulate on your own) with IUI. Also here's the link to the entire article which also discusses the protocol Dr. Sher uses along with IUI.

http://www.ivfauthority.com/search/label/IUI

Normally ovulating women usually develop a number of follicles (fluid filled spaces within the ovaries that contain eggs and produce estrogen) during the first week of the menstrual cycle. All but one (and sometimes two) of the follicles fail to develop to the point of being eligible for ovulation. The process is known as Selection. It is important to recognize that in all normally ovulating women, the one or two follicles selected to ovulate will inevitably be larger than the remaining follicles, regardless of whether the woman is receiving fertility agents such as Clomiphene or Pergonal, etc. Simply put, one or two follicles will always show enhanced development over the others, and as soon as these selected follicles ovulate, all the remaining follicles are rendered incapable of following suit. As a result, normally ovulating women do not have a greater incidence of high order multiple pregnancies.

In contrast, women who do not ovulate at all, and those who ovulate irregularly or dysfunctionally do not have the ability to select one or two dominant follicles for ovulation. As such, following the administration of fertility drugs for ovarian stimulation, numerous follicles may develop at the same rate, and several eggs can be ovulated simultaneously. This translates into a greater chance of pregnancy, but also a greater chance of multiple pregnancies. It is interesting that almost all reported cases of high order multiple pregnancies (greater than twins) following the use of fertility drugs have occurred in women who do not ovulate normally on their own.

It follows that only those women with absent or abnormal ovulation are at-risk for high-order multiple pregnancies
TTC #1 for 4.5 years
3 BFN IUI- 2011
1 BFP IUI- March 2011
1 BFP IVF- December 2011
1 BFP FET- May 2012

waitingtobemommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby parisxmas » Fri May 27, 2011 9:22 am

Well talk about a nose dive where my follicles are concerned. I only had 6 that they would consider today measuring (R)10, 10, (L)10, 10, 11, 11

The nurse didn't show me the screen, give any feedback, or tell me if i had any 8 or 9's that could catch up potentially. Who knows????

It looks like the goal is 8-15, so I'm already below that: http://www.advancedfertility.com/ivfstim.htm

Curious to see what my RE think when I see him on Sunday morning.
Me (Jen) 36 / DH 36 TTC #5
DD 11 / DD 9 / DS 5 / DS1
3 failed IUI's, 2 failed IVF cycles, 1 canceled IVF, 1 +HPT IVF
ET 2/24 4dt of 3 embryos 12 cell, 10 cell, 8 cell
none to freeze all arrested
+ HPT 3/1/12 :bfp:
7dp4dt beta 28, 10dp4dt beta 114, 12dp4dt beta 286, (29dpo) beta 20,079
3/26/12 - measuring 7w1d :hb: 141
4/4/12 - measuring 8w3d :hb: 163
It's a BOY! Born 11/7/12
parisxmas
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby waitingtobemommy » Fri May 27, 2011 10:43 am

Well I had my 1:1 with my RE today, and found out good news and bad news:

Good news is that my thyroid level keeps dropping, and I'm now officially in the "normal" range...Yay! Also my latest AMH level was 3.5, about what it was in September, and RE thinks that's a good, normal level to be at, so i have a good number of eggs on reserve...Yay! He also thinks my high LH and FSH were a "fluke" but didn't want to agree with me when I made a connection between my chemical and the wacky levels...

Bad news is that I really dislike my RE. He's pompous, arrogant, was defensive when he found out I am going to speak with Dr. Sher, and totally just wants to push for IVF and keeps downplaying the success of IUI. He even somewhat doubted that I was pregnant in March, saying "Only God can tell if you were pregnant or not. It could have just been leftover hcg in your system". Um, thanks for completely crushing my hopes and excitement over my possibility of getting pregnant somewhat "normally".

So we're going to wait for this cycle to end, hopefully next week, and then we're doing Femara, Menopur, trigger, IUI, and luteal hcg again. I'm praying we get another :bfp: so I can rub it in his face! And if not, I'm hoping Dr. Sher can be of more help to us than my current RE.
TTC #1 for 4.5 years
3 BFN IUI- 2011
1 BFP IUI- March 2011
1 BFP IVF- December 2011
1 BFP FET- May 2012

waitingtobemommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KMP » Fri May 27, 2011 11:03 am

I'll try to do personals tomorrow, but for now, a little bit of a question...

So, I had blood work done on CD3 last Sunday and called for the results today (no time before now!) because they tested my TSH for me as well. They said everything is fine - although Dr. Google is giving me a slightly different story - except for my TSH was 0.176 :shock: . I was surprised that with a number that low they wouldn't have called me!!

Background: TSH was 5.2 about a year ago; started on Synthroid and dropped to 2.2 about 6 months ago; 1.54 in March (perfect); and now 0.176. WTF?? I just called my family doctor to ask whether I should adjust my dose, and I am just waiting to hear back. The fertility clinic wants me to come in tomorrow for a repeat TSH and for a T4 test as well. Ugh.

Here are my other numbers:
LH 7.7 (normal)
Prolactin 10.6
FSH 5.5 (in excellent range!)
E2 112

Googling tells me that LH>FSH can be a PCOS or cyst indicator, but how much higher does it have to be before it is a concern? Is the 2.2 difference too big? The table I found says 25-75 is normal for E2 as well and mine is 112. Thoughts?
KMP
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby waitingtobemommy » Fri May 27, 2011 11:31 am

KMP: Wow, I guess that Synthroid is really working! I would question them about that too, because I have heard from my RE that the lower the level the better, but have also heard and read that TSH should be between .4-4, so your .1 is on the low side. As far as your LH and FSH, they're both within normal range, and I have read that they should, ideally be a 1:1 ratio. However, I dont think your levels are too far apart, and it is a good sign that they are within normal range. And for your E2, I'm not sure. Mine was really high, 149, when I started this cycle and I'm not sure why. My Re doesn't seem too concerned about it though. Hope they give you more answers!
TTC #1 for 4.5 years
3 BFN IUI- 2011
1 BFP IUI- March 2011
1 BFP IVF- December 2011
1 BFP FET- May 2012

waitingtobemommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby parisxmas » Fri May 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Jen, it sounds like you have a good plan in place. I'm so happy to hear that your thyroid level is dropping!!! I'm not sure why he would have questioned if you had a chemical or not. I don't think these doctors realize how much we know about our own cycle and body.

KMP - I know little to nothing about the numbers. I'm so sorry that I can't offer any input :(

aleena - stalking you over at POAS!
It's a BOY! Born 11/7/12
parisxmas
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby parisxmas » Sun May 29, 2011 7:11 am

Devastated! Started spotting brown on Friday after u/s. I was worried that the fluid was back. It is and there is a lot of it. He wants to freeze and not transfer. Next appt is on Tuesday :( :( :( :( :(
It's a BOY! Born 11/7/12
parisxmas
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby unaffected » Sun May 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Oh no Jen!! I'm so sorry :( I know you are so bummed right now. Keep your head up, and hopefully you'll get some better news on Tuesday! :hugs:
Me (Kara): 30 DH: 30 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Betas: 8dp6dt/14dpo - 124; 10dp6dt/16dpo - 317; 16dp6dt/22dpo - 6,289; 23dp6dt/29dpo - 32,961
It's a boy!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby KMP » Sun May 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Paris Jen - I'm so sorry the fluid is back! At least you'll get some embryos to freeze though, right? That way you won't have to go through as much in the way of meds and hormones. Good luck on Tuesday.

Waiting Jen - thanks! I have to wait and see what the results are to let my family doctor know and he will direct me on what to do with the meds. I'm already on a low dose, so we'll see. I'm sorry your RE is a total dink...I can't believe he'd say that! At least the actual results were good though.

Aleena - good luck!

Hi to everyone else...I know a lot of the ladies in the group are in a bit of a holding pattern, but I hope positive things are happening for you all!

AFM - I went for my CD10 u/s and bloodwork this morning, which for the record, took FOREVER. They are usually super quick, but there is a new u/s tech that is sloooooooooooow. I have a 17 and a 14 on my left and a 14 on my right and my lining is 5.1. So, they've put me on Estrace for the first time to thicken it. My concern is that my E2 was well over the 25-75 average I found online (112), so won't this raise it higher? Oh well...logistical question...how far...ummmm...up there do I put the little suppository pill? As far as I can? :shock: We may not be able to do the IUI this month because I have to leave on Wednesday for a work meeting at 5:30 am, so I couldn't do monitoring or an IUI that day. I'll go for blood tomorrow and if I don't surge, we'll just try on our own and maybe do an IUI next month while saving for IVF. I just don't think I have many more IUIs in me. The chances aren't that much higher than us trying just with the Clomid and maybe Estrace, so I think we'll hold out for IVF. Sigh.
KMP
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby parisxmas » Tue May 31, 2011 10:05 am

More fluid today, 6.7mm up from 4.6mm on Sunday. RE still wants to freeze all and not attempt a transfer. I'm not sure what to do. We paid for the 3 fresh/3 frozen because of the fluid, so it seems odd to back down now, but the fluid is a lot and growing, so I'm not sure what to do? I have my retrieval on Friday and need to decide by then if I want to transfer or not. He says that he does not feel comfortable aspirating that much fluid and it will likely return even if he does. What do you girls think I should do?

KMP - Have you surged yet?
It's a BOY! Born 11/7/12
parisxmas