Question for US Military Ladies

Anything goes, as long as it’s related to TTC!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Question for US Military Ladies

Postby Janeite<3 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi ladies!

So for all you in any branch the US military--would you be willing to share what your maternity leave experiences were like?

Here's my situation: I'm 37 and have been TTC for nearly three years with no luck. I'm a musician and many of the military bands (which are full-time positions on permanent assignment) have recently raised the minimum enlistment age to 39. These are great stable jobs (I currently freelance and do contract work) and there is currently an opening in one of the ensembles on my instrument. If I decided to take the audition there is no guarantee that I would get offered a position. I've been taking professional auditions waaaay longer than I've been TTC. It's just part and parcel of being a musician. (Basically you have 3-5 minutes to play perfectly and convince a committee that they should listen to you again and every audition can have three rounds and over 100 people auditioning. Then again, you only have to win one audition.) That being said, due to my age I certainly can't put off TTC. So my question comes down to how maternity leave works in these situations. If I sign a 4 year contract, for example, do I have to serve 4 consecutive years? Would I have to put off TTC for any length of time after I enlisted? I'm just trying to get a feel for things. My time is kinda running out for a job like this and for TTC. Not many women play my instrument, so I don't really want to ask any of these questions directly, for fear of being discriminated against. DH is of the mind that we go for it and we sort everything else out later if we need to. I may do that, but I would certainly like to know what I'm getting into!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to reading about your experiences!
Me: 36
DH: 36
One adorable puppy

TTC #1 since August 2014

-------------------------------------
December 2015-BFP, MC @ 5 weeks :angel:
January 2016-started acupuncture
December 2016-Clomid 50 mg, chemical
--------------------------------------

My Ovulation Chart
Janeite<3
Friend

Re: Question for US Military Ladies

Postby danielleh22 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:23 am

Hi, Janeite!

I'm active duty Air Force, and I just had a baby last year. I know for AF and I believe most of the other branches, maternity leave was extended from 6 weeks to 12 weeks! I was able to be off 12 weeks, and I also took an additional 20 day of my own personal leave on top of that. I'm not sure how it is with the military band, but you just do your job until you are ready to have your baby then you just jump right back in after maternity leave! Yes, if you sign a 4 year contract, you would need to serve 4 consecutive years. The maternity leave counts as you contract time as well which is awesome.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Me: 30 Him: 28
DS: Manolo- 1 yr
TTC #2 On Cycle #12 PP
Taking Ova Boost, Fertile CM, and Evening Primrose

BFP #1 July 30, 2015 (Cycle 7) Born April 13th, 2016
BFP #2 Dec 28, 2016 (Cycle 6) Miscarriage @ 5w4d
BFP #3 June 26, 2017 (Cycle 11) Miscarriage @ 4w6d

My Ovulation Chart
danielleh22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Janeite<3 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:04 am

Thanks for replying, danielleh22! I really appreciate it! Wow! 12 weeks? How wonderful. I guess I always just thought the military, being what it is, would be super strict about something like that. Lol! Can you tell I'm an outsider?

We've decided to just go for it and see what happens. There's a way to navigate every situation, right?
Me: 36
DH: 36
One adorable puppy

TTC #1 since August 2014

-------------------------------------
December 2015-BFP, MC @ 5 weeks :angel:
January 2016-started acupuncture
December 2016-Clomid 50 mg, chemical
--------------------------------------

My Ovulation Chart
Janeite<3
Friend

Postby danielleh22 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:54 am

Janeite- No problem! The military is what it is, but they are big on family especially the Air Force. If you can't keep the family happy then their members aren't happy! Plus, they went this route to hopefully retain more women. If you think about it, more women would be willing to stay in vs getting out. Of course there are always people who complain about the new leave, but they usually don't have children or a family. The old six weeks was definitely not enough! Some countries allow their mothers to have an entire year off so I don't think the military is going to fall apart from women taking 12 weeks instead of 6, lol. That's how I look at it anyways. Congratulations on this new chapter for you! I took a leap of faith as well and have been in almost 8 years. It's not been too bad :)
Me: 30 Him: 28
DS: Manolo- 1 yr
TTC #2 On Cycle #12 PP
Taking Ova Boost, Fertile CM, and Evening Primrose

BFP #1 July 30, 2015 (Cycle 7) Born April 13th, 2016
BFP #2 Dec 28, 2016 (Cycle 6) Miscarriage @ 5w4d
BFP #3 June 26, 2017 (Cycle 11) Miscarriage @ 4w6d

My Ovulation Chart
danielleh22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to General TTC Stuff