I need your advice, first RE appointment (horrible!)

This board is for anyone TTC for over a year or longer.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

I need your advice, first RE appointment (horrible!)

Postby heatherpfau » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:57 pm

History first, 1 ectopic, 2 early miscarriages in 2 and a half years.

Dr. automatically says all of my pg's have been ectopic, (no evidence, sonograms, or hcg numbers) and that I need IVF right away after I loose weight. He had no bedside manner and got upset when I asked questions saying that he didn't have time for this.

I already scheduled another OBGYN appt for another referral to someone else. But he told me that there is only a 20% chance of having a healthy normal pregnancy after my first was ectopic. I've never heard those numbers before. I'm so mad!! Please, any response would be good. Thanks in advance.
heatherpfau
Friend

Postby QuinnTwin3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:00 pm

It sounds like you need a second opinion as soon as possible! Any doctor that tells you there's no way to get pregnant without IVF after one examination and not trying any other tests or treatments is bad news. For example: you might have an ectopic pregnancy if a tube is partially blocked, but they can do a test to see if the tube is blocked (and HSG) which can potetially un-block it so that there's a lower risk of ectopic in the future. That's just ONE example - there are so many others.

I initially had a doctor who basically believed in treating PCOS with the pill until you wanted to get pregnant and then immediately jumping to IVF when you came off the pill because why not just switch one crazy hormone world for another? lol I went for a second opinion with another doctor, and she has given me so many more options. Personally, I dont' want to do IVF so hearing that there were other choices, even if they may take a little longer to work, was a huge relief for me.

Good luck, and keep trying!
QuinnTwin3

Postby heatherpfau » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:54 pm

Thank You QuinTwin!! I was thinking today about how ridiculous he sounded. I had a clear HSG done, I did two rounds of clomid and I responded and got PG on my last round of femara with a trigger shot.

Obviously if I can get pregnant with femara and a trigger shot why would I want to do IVF?? There are the same odds of miscarrying or ectopic. My father has a rare blood disease and I asked to be tested for that, he looked at me and said "why do you think you have that?" Really?!? He didn't even know what tests to order for that.

Just blows because you look forward to that appointment after years of trying, then it's just someone blowing bs. I really appreciate someone else telling me how full of crap it really was. :) Thank you a thousand times. If I have to do IVF, so be it but I don't think it's in my immediate future. Thanks again!!
heatherpfau
Friend

Postby goobermom » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:36 pm

i agree...second opinion is a must! no time for questions!?!?! hello....that's what we ladies do, especially when we may be paying thousands or have experienced repeated loss!!
me (34) husband (41)
son (14), spoiled cat
TTC since August '08
Clomid/IUI x3; Follistim/IUI x3
natural BFP- M/C :(
Low Vitamin D, High FSH
Letrozole, TI, progesterone, estrace- BFN (x4)
High FSH, RE recommending donor egg
End of our TTC journey???
goobermom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby alinat » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:57 pm

goobermom wrote:i agree...second opinion is a must! no time for questions!?!?! hello....that's what we ladies do, especially when we may be paying thousands or have experienced repeated loss!!

^^^^^ Time to find a new RE. What an a$@!
Me:41 (Alison) :love: DH:32 (no children of his own)
DD 19
DD 16
DS 12

TTC since June 2009
TCM and acupuncture for 2 years
:angel: July 2010
:angel: September 2011
:angel: January 2012
:angel: August 2012 - 16w4d - Matthew - Complications due to Trisomy 21
DOR and poor egg quality due to age :(
IVF # 1 :bfn:
IVF#2 :bfn:
IVF#3 :bfn:
Two rounds of prescribed Clomid 50mg - both :bfn:
After 5 years we have finally conceded defeat and given up TTC.
alinat
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lilbug » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:15 am

What a jerk!!! Tell him to @#$$^ off, call the clinic and complain. We pay A LOT of money for these doctors there is no reason for them to be rude.

Go running to another doctor ASAP. There are so many options to try before IVF.

Good luck!
lilbug
Friend

Return to TTC Over 12 Months