One year mark.... WHAT SHOULD I DO??

This board is for anyone TTC for over a year or longer.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

One year mark.... WHAT SHOULD I DO??

Postby Baby_Bumble_Bee » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:48 am

well... The beginning of this mark marks the 1 year date since I have been off birth control... and 8 months since we have been trying. We werent ever careful once I got off BC, but I wasnt charting or anything like that ( I thought this would be an easy process). I'm just wondering should I continue to try for another few months or is it time for me to go get some testing done??

I'm 24, average weight, just had my thyroid tested that was normal, took one of those home fertility tests that came back good...things seem to be in fine working order, but i'm still not pregnant. I know there are many other factors that play into getting pregnant, but im just stating that the obvious things that can prevent pregnancy are normal :)

If there is anyone out there who has gone to the doctor for help can you please just let me know what I can expect?? and If you had any success. Also, how long did you wait before you were seen by a doc?

Thank you to all of you who respond. This has been one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. I dont have any friends or family that have gone through this and i'm sick of hearing things like "it will happen when its suppose to" and "just dont think about it" ... people who havent gone through this just dont understand. You all have given me the help and support that I need. THANK YOU and BABY DUST TO ALL!!!!
TTC for 1 1/2 years for baby #1 , DX: PCOS August 2012, Angel Baby, May 2011
Baby_Bumble_Bee
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby maddy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:52 am

I say if you are ready to move forward with fertility treatment, then go for it! Just make sure to express to your doctor that you have been trying for a year. I would get DH to have a sperm analysis just to make sure everything is fine with him before you went through any testing.
maddy

Postby saraek » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:23 am

DH and I tried for 12 months exactly with no success when we started. We went back to my OB for testing. I did the post coital (to see how compatible DH's sperm were with my CM), the HSG (to check my tubes) and DH had an SA. All testing came back great but for the post-coital.

when we ended up at the RE, we didn't do anymore testing (although I did have a lap where they found mild endo).

We were seen by my OB pretty quickly. We only waited a few weeks to see the RE once we moved onto that. I had no success through my OBs office (we did multiple natural IUIs with no meds or monitoring). I got PG with #1 through my RE's office on our 5th cycle (3rd cycle of follistim/IUI). All in all, TTC took us about 4+ years before success, but they also found out my brain doesn't produce the right hormone to make me ovulate in a timely manner, and sometimes my eggs don't mature well enough to be fertilized.

SO... there's my shortened story :) Good luck! Also, I agree with PP that you should have DH have an SA done first :)
Me - 31
DH - 33
TTC since 2/2005
DD Gracie born 6/18/10
TTC #2 since 3/2011
4/2012 - Follistim/IUI #2
5/17 - BFP!
BETA: 1200
6/11 - Twins! HB 147 & 170
saraek
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Baby_Bumble_Bee » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:30 am

Thank you guys so much for your advise!!

I'm just not sure what to expect and I dont want to jump the gun on anything, but I just didnt think it was going to take this long getting pregnant.

As far as my DH getting a SA done, he isnt quite ready for that lol. He is very very shy and I think the thought of kind of scares him. He told me that he would do a home one (but im not sure how accurate those things are) and he said if by this time next year we still arent prego then he will. He is kind of stuck in that "its only been a year" stage...Stinkin boys!! :)

So that is why I am taking things into my own hands. I have suffered from irregular periods my whole like and I'm wondering if that can be causing me not to get pregnant.

Do either of you know much about the home SA tests??
Baby_Bumble_Bee
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby maddy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:08 am

My DH also refused to get a SA, so I bought a microscope that is specifically for testing sperm. And you can do it all at home and the instructions are pretty simple. I would recommend that. I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/Micra-Sperm-Test- ... B000SLM504
maddy

Postby Baby_Bumble_Bee » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:12 am

Oh thats another great option!! Thank you for the suggestions. I'm actually going to school to be a Nurse and I'm sure that they would have one that is available at the school that they would let me use :)

What is it with DH NOT wanting to get one?? HAHA we have to go once a year and bare all to our docs...at least they get a little privacy during theirs :)
Baby_Bumble_Bee
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby saraek » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:36 am

I think guys just harbor that fear that there could be something wrong with their sperm and they don't want to deal with the possibility? My DH did an SA and he said it wasn't a big deal. I can't remember, as it was so long ago, but I think all you do is give a sample and they test it.

Honestly, that's the only test they really have to do. It's us who has to go the HSG (which for me was pretty painful), the ultrasounds, the bloodwork... they get to have an orgasm :roll: Is it really so bad?

If you have irregular periods, you probably ought to see your doc. A friend of mind has irregular periods and she's TTC for a year too and she found out she has PCOS.
Me - 31
DH - 33
TTC since 2/2005
DD Gracie born 6/18/10
TTC #2 since 3/2011
5/17 - BFP!
saraek
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Baby_Bumble_Bee » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:45 am

HAHAHA I know right an orgasm doesnt seem all that bad...haha he told me it was embarrassing and asked me how I would feel if I had to do that at a doc office...of course my response was im gonna do it next time just for fun!!! HAHAH what we will say in an arguement to win!! :)

I stopped pushing the subject because I think that is what he is afraid of, and he doesnt like the fact that it invades his privacy a bit. He is a really shy guy. And he agreed like I said to do a home test so we will probably just start there with him and talk to my doc about options for me.

I havent decided if I completely want to commit to all the testing yet. I just wish there was an easy fix to these kinds of things :/ As far as PCOS goes, I thought after joining this forum that it was a possibility, but after doing some reading on it I dont quite fit the criteria for symptoms. My periods are irregular (meaning I have any where from a 24-35) day cycle, but I dont miss any. So i'm not sure, but I def. will ask my doc.

Thank you all so much your suggestions and advise are so helpful. That and its nice to talk to people who understand how this feels. DH is a huge support but he thinks i'm obsessed with peeing on sticks and pregnancy talk hahahaah. He told me last night that I manage to take every convo and bring it back to babies..I JUST CANT GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD!! :)
Baby_Bumble_Bee
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby saraek » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:59 am

no worries. I know some guys have a hard time doing 'that' in public :)

I would still talk to your doc on how to regulate your periods, or what you can do to time BD and ovulation. :) I know it's not the same, but I had NO symptoms whatsoever for endo, and when I got my lap done, turns out I had some. You just never know.

good luck!
Me - 31
DH - 33
TTC since 2/2005
DD Gracie born 6/18/10
TTC #2 since 3/2011
5/17 - BFP!
saraek
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby kitcat1105 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi!
Your DH won't necessarily have to provide the sample there. My DH was about 10-15 minutes from the hospital where they did the SA, so he could do his business at home. As long as you can get the sample there in a timely manner, you're all good.
As far as the testing goes, you will know when you're ready. For me, at exactly 1 year, I had enough and got all the testing done.
Much can be uncovered through basic blood work (thyroid, FSH, AMH, progesterone, etc)
You will also get an intra-vaginal ultrasound at certain points of your cycle. This checks your ovaries, follicles, etc. I'm sure that sounds terrible, but they aren't.
The HSG is not fun, but it will tell if your tubes are open.
The only test I haven't had is the lap. I only just started fertility treatments. If they don't work in the first couple of tries, I will probably go back for a lap.
Personally, I wouldn't do any home tests. If you are going to eventually need any type of treatment, the doctor's won't consider that.
Hope this info is helpful!
Me 35 DH 41 TTC since Oct 2010
"Unexplained Infertility"
1st IUI March 4th (50 mg. clomid) - BFN
2nd IUI end of April (50 mg. clomid) - BFN
3rd IUI end of May (50 mg. clomid) - BFN
4th IUI June 18 (50 mg clomid) - BFN
August IVF
ER Thurs 8/9!
5 DT Tuesday 8/14- Transfered 1 5 day blast, 3 potential frosties
Beta Fri Aug 24th -bfn
On a break I guess. Thinking about getting a lap done.

My Ovulation Chart
kitcat1105
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby Baby_Bumble_Bee » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Sorry it took me so long to write back but here is an update!

I ended up making an appointment because I got to the point where I had had just about enough :bfn: lol All my blood work came back fine so my doctor suggested before we do any further testing on me that he would like to do an SA and if hubby wont commit to that then to at least test his testosterone, so we will be making him an appointment soon :)

Right now i'm stuck in the TWW... dpo tomorrow and temps are still high:)
Baby_Bumble_Bee
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to TTC Over 12 Months