Two Week Wait

This board is for anyone TTC for over a year or longer.
Post a reply

Time to do SA?

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:54 pm

New here and wondering when everyone started investigating potential hurdles to conceiving. Here are the stats:
DH: 29
Me: 28
TTC 1 year, 8 months
I have had -
ultra sound - uterus and ovaries are totally normal
Blood test - confirmed ovulation
OPKs - turn positive during my cycle
25-28 day cycles

Hubby has never been tested... and he's not too game for investigating. He has agreed to do an SA finally... He thinks we shouldn't try to "make" it happen, but that we should just keep doing our thing and it will happen when it's right. While I believe this, I can't help but feel like we've already lost almost two years, and maybe we should seek some help. I think the SA will tell us a lot, because my OB said the only other thing to check on me is for a blocked tube. OB kept asking if I was hitting ovulation, but to be honest, we can't possibly be missing it. We have sex all the time from the end of my period, to the beginning of the next. We even tried abstaining for 2-3 days at a time thinking maybe he has a low/slow count and we should let it replenish.

I guess I'm just struggling with how much I should investigate, and what I should do with that information. We've never had a bfp. Every month I have "pregnancy symptoms", but it's just because I am soooo wanting to make a baby. Any advice or light you all can shed on the process of finding out what might be holding us up is greatly appreciated. Starting to feel like it's never going to happen for us, and I can't believe we'll be hitting the two year mark this summer. I know so many people have tried for even longer, and I don't know how you are all so strong. You are an inspiration! At this last Holiday party, a relative asked if he could give one of his grandkids to us because his daughter has too many and we "should have kids". :(

Thanks for any advice. Baby dust to all of you amazing ladies!!

Re: Time to do SA?

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:34 am

I am so sorry for what you're going through. At two years, I think you can safely rule out that your timing wasn't right and continue investigate what's wrong. I would start with an SA if everything looks good on your side... The statistics are 40% of the time it's the man's issue which is often overlooked.

Our husbands sound similar. Mine has also been a bit indifferent to this process and thinks it will just magically happen when it's the right time. It is frustrating. I feel like all I do is worry about this, cry about this, and stress out, while he just continues to do his thing. I don't think most men can understand how important it can be to a woman to conceive a child.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:28 pm

I started investigating at 9 months and with getting things checked out with me. Hubby got tested at about 11 months as after I was checked out and things seemed normal for the most part it was his turn. Interesting story though is that we had him tested by his general physician doctor who came back with results that "everything was fine" and that they didn't see any issues that would hurdle us with TTC. So we moved forward, we also got new health insurance with Kaiser, I got an HSG done (where they check your tubes) and this was all found to be open and clear, they wanted another SA done for their own records, and come to our surprise, we found out that my hubby did in fact have an issue with his stuff, which was it wasn't liquefying which caused it to get stuck at the opening of my uterus and end of my cervix, where they keep dying because well they're not able to get in and do their work, everything else was fine which is usually the main stuff they test for (morphology and mobility). Called his old doctor and asked what the results were for the liquefaction and they said they weren't even sure what that was sooo yea... now we are going to be doing an IUI next month as this is the only way we can move forward with his issue we found.

So long story, sorry, but I do think it's a good idea to investigate your hubby, and usually if they find an issue with hubby it can almost always be fixed pretty easily if not with medicaitons with a fertility treatment such as IUI. KMFX for you and hope that you can find some answers soon!!

Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:11 am

Thanks ladies!! Skipper, yes that sounds like my hubby. I know he cares and means well, but it is hard and I agree men are just wired differently when it comes to understanding the process.
Gina, thanks for the insight and heads up about SA - I had no idea there was anything past count, shape, and motility! I'll be sure they check everything.
Hubby has agreed and we're looking for a gp for him now.

You ladies are amazing! Crossing my fingers we all hit our bfp this year! Keep me posted in your progress!
Xoxo

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:46 pm

I'm glad your DH is ready for the SA. My doctor's kept testing every single thing they could on me because DH is the healthiest guy ever, they assumed everything would be fine with him and that the problem was with me. Finally 1 1/2 years after were started trying we did the SA and came back with the sad news that there's no sperm at all. So not that I think you and your DH will have such an extreme case, but with male factor infertility there may be no signs of an issue with him until a SA is done.

I would also recommend your DH go to a urologist. Urologists are better equipped to do SA's and interpret the results, know what bloodwork to do, and additional testing. Some urologists will do some basic male infertility work-ups but if you end up needing more specialized care, like we did with DH's azoospermia, then there are also urologists who specialize in male fertility/infertility. Hopefully you won't need it though. :)
Post a reply
IsoFresh
Pregnancy Test Strips
FertilAid for Women and Men
OvaCue
OvaGraph
FertileCM
Male Fertility Products