Hsg booked - anyone got any advice?

This board is for anyone TTC for over a year or longer.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Hsg booked - anyone got any advice?

Postby scoggy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:11 am

Hi everyone,
We've been ttc for 18 months now with no success. Bloods and dh's tests have come back normal and I have no symptoms of anything unusual, so doc has referred me for an hsg (as an amusing aside, whenever I write hsg my iPad corrects it to "hug", lol - perhaps being referred for a hug is the answer?!).
Anyway AF is due next Friday so assuming another fail, I should get an hsg done the next month (fingers crossed!)
I'd just like to hear if anyone has any experience of this? I have 2 main questions - 1) does it hurt? I've read mixed info on various websites and it's made me nervous. 2) can it really increase your fertility in the next few months?
I've been prescribed 2 types of antibiotic for the procedure which has made me a little nervous too - I kinda thought this is just an x Ray, but perhaps it's a bit more serious and complicated?
All advice appreciated.
S
scoggy
Friend

Re: Hsg booked - anyone got any advice?

Postby seasidebaby » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:00 am

Hi scoggy, sorry to hear you're still waiting for a baby-I'm in the same boat and it sucks!

I had an hsg in november and it really want so bad. I got really nervous about it (thanks google!), but really it's worth it for peace of mind.

I didn't have antibiotics but I think about half do-it just depends on the type of bacteria down there and if they need to avoid it entering your cervix.

My hsg was all fine, so no probs spotted and we're now at 2 yrs ttc. This is my 3rd month after test, im in the 2 week wait now! Like you I heard about the increased fertility but I'm not sure if I buy it.

One thing i would say (and it might just be because I'm a wimp) book the day off work. Something about the thought of those kinds of procedures make me feel off colour so I had a sofa afternoon and let oh run around after me!

My first period after hsg was a little different, colour a bit darker and had really bad cramps. I usually don't suffer abd not sure if it's same for everyone but have painkillers at ready!

Good luck! X
seasidebaby
Friend

Postby seasidebaby » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:01 am

Sorry that first sentance should say wasn't not want so bad. Autocorrect!
seasidebaby
Friend

Postby An0514 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:39 pm

I just had an HSG the other day. It wasn't as bad as I thought. I took one Advil before the procedure. The doc walked me through the whole thing...they insert a catheter which I barely felt and I'm pretty sensitive. Then they run the radioactive dye through and take a few pictures. I felt a little cramping like AF cramps but not too bad at all, just weird. I had a weird crampy feeling for maybe an hour after. Make sure you bring a pad to wear home as the dye leaks out (gross I know). Mine showed that I had possibly a fibrioid and some other kind of scarring so I have to have a similar test done with saline instead of dye tomorrow. Good luck!
About the increased fertility...I've heard that and I'm really crossing my fingers!
ME: 29, DH: 29
TTC #1 since May 2014
BFP 2/14/15 (Femara), m/c 3/12/15
CP 8/2015 (Femara)
5 failed IUIs with Femara and Follistim
IVF starting May 2016!
An0514
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby BeNearMeNow » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:41 pm

I'm gonna second that "take the day off" advice, and raise you a "get someone to drive you." The doctor said it wouldn't hurt. "Just a little pressure" he said. Liar. The only time I've ever felt anything close is the bladder infection I got in college that brought me to my knees in the bathroom of the English building. Two colleagues, afterward, said that HSGs were more painful for them than childbirth. It's bearable, but don't expect it to be a walk in the park. I felt really nauseus after and had cramps that effected my vision for the first hour, so.... Yeah, get a driver.
BeNearMeNow
Friend

Return to TTC Over 12 Months