Spotting After C-Section

Please use this forum for asking your questions to our PG members. Thanks!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Spotting After C-Section

Postby LillyLoo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:57 pm

Hello, Board!

I really don't know where to post this question, but I thought this was a good start. I delivered a healthy baby boy via c-section Feb 28, 2017. I waited five weeks and two days, til the bleeding actually stopped, to have sex with my hubby again. A day went by and now I am experiencing bright, pink spotting. Wondering if this is normal, strange or unusual. I'm currently pumping and breastfeeding. How soon is too soon to get pregnant again after a c-section?

Lillyloo
LillyLoo
Friend

Re: Spotting After C-Section

Postby BeeCee33 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:53 pm

My guess would be the activity in that region just caused a bit of bleeding. A lot has gone on in there in the last year and it's not unusual to experience a little bleeding after sexual activity even under normal circumstances.

As far as how soon is too soon... My doctor recommends 2 years between births for C-sections. That being said, if you do get pregnant before then, they will just monitor you more closely to ensure there is not too much pressure on your scar. In rare cases, they have to deliver early if your scar tissue is not strong enough.

I could still feel changes happening in my body up to about 11 months after my C-section, so I was definitely not in a hurry to get pregnant again!
Me (Becca): 31 DH:36

BFP Feb 20, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

BFP June 2, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

Henry James born 7/27/15

My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LillyLoo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:32 pm

Thanks for the response, CeeBee. That calms my fears. I'm sure I can't be pregnant after one time but I keep having dreams about having more kids. This week, I go back to the doctor for my 6-week appointment. I'll see what she has to say.
LillyLoo
Friend

Postby BeeCee33 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:49 pm

It's pretty unlikely you have ovulated, but not impossible! ;)

Henry James born 7/27/15

My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LillyLoo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:43 pm

So, at my 6-week appt my doctor didn't seem too concerned. She said this flow was most likely the start of my normal cycle. I've been keeping track of the days and today marks the eighth day of my cycle. I don't know if this is unusual or not for a breastfeeding/pumping mother who's just delivered via c-section. My cycle normally lasts seven days; AF has slowed down considerably, like it's about to taper off but doesn't quite make it. Any thoughts? Is this normal?
LillyLoo
Friend

Postby BeeCee33 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Gosh, I don't know! I breastfed after my C-section. I *think* my cycle came back around 5 months pp when my son started sleeping through the night so he was going 10+ hours without nursing. I say think because I got the mirena IUD at my 6 week appointment and never had a real period while on it. But I started getting AF like cramps once a month starting a week after my son started sleeping through the night, so I assume that's what it was.

I will say that it took me probably 10 months to feel like I had healed completely from my c-section. I can't tell you what's "normal," but I can tell you you're still in the early days of your body figuring out what the heck happened to it! I guess if I was in your position, I'd do my best to track my cycles and see what patterns emerge. In the meantime, I'd definitely use protection if you aren't sure what's going on and you're not ready for round 2!

Henry James born 7/27/15

My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Ask Your Questions to Our BFP Members