Exercise while TTC - is it ok?? is it not ok ??

Share diet plans, exercise routines, recipies, and find support.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Exercise while TTC - is it ok?? is it not ok ??

Postby RS » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:01 pm

Hey Ya'll ....
I am so curious about exercising when TTC. I am 5'3" and 165. I saw my ob/gyn in Oct and told him DH wanted me to lose some weight before TTC but I didnt want to wait. My Dr. said why try to lose weight when you'll only gain ? So I left it at that... but I have been so unhappy about my weight and read some stuff about being overweight and it hindering fertility so that gave me the extra push...
I have exercised before... I lost 40 lbs in 2004 - gained it and then lost it again in 2007. I just cant seem to keep that darn cake out of my mouth !!!! Anyway, I am not new to exercise per say but havent worked out in 2 years. Im back to my elliptical and wil start swimming within the next week
I do work up a sweat on the elliptical and am winded. But Im not to the point where I cant talk or have pains in my sides or anything....
But my questions are ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Will exercise hinder my chances of conceiving ?? Is the elliptical too much ??? Should I put it at a higher resistance so I 'jump/ jostle" around less ??? Is a higher resistance more of a push on the body ??
I have tried to call my Dr. but I cant seem to get him on the phone. Its always a nurse who doesnt let me finish my question before she just tries to get me off the line. Im going to call again tomorrow and try to ask again. If I still cant get to him that way, Ill make an appt but w/ my next O cycle coming... Id like some answers sooner rather than later....
HELP !!!
RS

Postby jazlin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Im also trying to lose weight. I've been ttc for 3 months after a m/c. I started workingout this week and i've been eating more fruits and veggies. i'm trying to avoid sweet and fast food. Is ok for you exercise, i guess the most important thing is that you eat as healthy as possible. Take your multivitimg that contains folic acid.

good luck.
jazlin

Postby RS » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:25 pm

Hey Guys
I did talk to the Dr. and he said exercising was fine when TTC
So Im on Day 6 of the elliptical.... 45 mins at a clip... 2 days exercise, one day rest, two days exercise one day rest
Swimming coming soon.....
Been eating better too ! Been trying to satisfy my sweets cravings w/ a piece of cantalope. Cheerios for breakfast, chicken breast w/ some veggies for lunch and a sensible dinner. No cake, cookies or candy except for one treat a week
GOOD FOR YOU JAZLIN AND BABYANGEL !!!! BEST OF LUCK !!!!!
:babydustb: :babydustg: to us all !!!!!!
RS

Postby Missjules » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 am

Exercise whilt TTC is great... but not those "Biggest Loser" type six hour work outs. Overdoing it on the exercise can mess with your ovulation.. so just exercise like a normal person! I spend 2 hours a day at the gym and my cycles have gotten a LOT better due to the weight loss and regular exercise. I do 30 minutes of interval training 1 hour of endurance training and half hour of resistance training.
Missjules
Friend

Postby luckieskystarz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:45 am

I think about exercise and trying to conceive. I don't want to exercise after ovulation because I love running and before TTC I use to run all the time for hours when I know it's good and I don't want to start that habit because it eventually turned into over exercising and an eating disorder so I am thinking I should wait to lose weight until after I get pregnant and the baby is born. I've notice since I've put on weight, my cycles are more regular.
Fertility Friend: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/aasmith1987

TTC #1 since October 2008
Not preventing since July '08
Ashley (25) - Found out about PCOS June 2013
Tyler (22) - Low volume and sperm count
Furbabies: Huskies- Isis and Draco with their baby Velkan born 8/5/2009!
Sono-Hystogram: Open tubes and great eggies! (May 2010)
luckieskystarz

Postby ceciliab01 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:24 pm

I'm sticking to gentle exercise including swimming, walking and Yoga.
ceciliab01

Exercise while TTC

Postby janerossx » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:00 am

Listen to your body. You have to stop if any work out feels odd. Ask your physician or other health care professional prior to engaging in any activity associated to health and diet.
janerossx

Postby ChickiePie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:17 pm

I was curious about the same thing. I am 5'2" and used to weigh about 110 pounds. I have gained 25 pounds in the last two years. My husband and I are TTC, and I am unhappy with the extra weight I am carrying, especially in my stomach. I wanted to start up my yoga and pilates routine, I am sure the yoga is safe, but has anyone heard if pilates is safe? I am trying to eat better, but it is so hard. I have cut out almost all sweets, except soda, which is the next to go...but I love my ginger ale! I just want a healthy start, you know?
ChickiePie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessie11 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:24 am

I'm very fat, I really want to lose my weight as soon as possible. I'm willing to lose ... Help me, what I'm going to do now?

Postby ballyhoo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:17 am

ChickiePie wrote: I wanted to start up my yoga and pilates routine, I am sure the yoga is safe, but has anyone heard if pilates is safe? I am trying to eat better, but it is so hard. I have cut out almost all sweets, except soda, which is the next to go...but I love my ginger ale! I just want a healthy start, you know?

I've been doing pilates with a friend who is training to become an instructor. She said that, like yoga, pilates is one of the best things to do if you start it before you get pregnant since it focuses on strengthening your core and back muscles, which you'll need for labor! It would likely have to be modified after your first trimester when you're not supposed to work on your abs as much, but a good instructor will know how to do that. Go for it, I love it and I bet you will too!
ballyhoo

Postby SILKROSE1982 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:20 am

I was 229 when I conceived my daughter. I excersized the ENTIRE pregnancy. I just stopped ab workouts at 19 weeks. I also switched to walking from running then also. I walked 6 miles a day 6 days a week, and weight training 5 days a week. I only gained 16 lbs with her (Which is TOTALLY fine when you are obese). I ate extremely healthy also. I worked with a nutritionist and only ate 500 extra calories above my 1800. I instantly lost all of the weight I had gained during the pregnancy with her as soon as I had her. I never got GD or any health issues until week 37 (the week I stopped exercising. I got pre-e that same week. So, I totally coorelate that with eating and exercising correctly kept me healthy.

It is perfectly safe to exercise while TTC and pregnancy. You just have to listen to your body. You should never HURT, but soreness is ok. Don't overdo it.
Me 30 + DH 28 = 3/29/2010

Our Little Valentine
Kaitlyn Elizabeth Marie 2/14/2011 (12 months TTC)
Angel Babies: Phillip Scott (7/4/2007 @ 19w4d), Baby #2 6w5d, Baby #3 5w6d, Baby #4 7w5d.

TTC#2-ntnp since 2/14/12. Now temping/charting/OPK's.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
SILKROSE1982
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby TTCnumber2at42 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:40 am

Exercise is good as long as done in moderation .. just don't go training for triathalons and do low impact exercise so you can continue through pregnancy like walking, yoga, low impact exercise

it is actually great for you to get into better shape prior to pregnancy no matter what your fitness level is now.
TTCnumber2at42
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Exercise while TTC - is it ok?? is it not ok ??

Postby epado » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi Silkrose, am curious what strength training exercises did you do?
epado

Re: Exercise while TTC - is it ok?? is it not ok ??

Postby joniriche » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:13 am

good looking your site nice posting thanks for sharing information i like this blog.

Pilates workout Online
Pilates
joniriche

Next

Return to Weight Loss and TTC