Poor Diet/Ovulation?

Share diet plans, exercise routines, recipies, and find support.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Poor Diet/Ovulation?

Postby Kittie09 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:11 am

Hey ladies!

So I have a question...do any of you have a poor diet? Like, worse than "bad", but REALLY horrible? I'm talking you can't remember the last time you had a meal that wasn't fast food or a frozen dinner? Cause that's what I'm looking at and I'm just trying to find someone who is in my shoes.

My cycles just keep getting longer and longer (it's cd 26 and I still haven't O'd) and I'm wondering if my diet has something to do with it. I'm not overweight by any means (5'9 and 155lbs), but I eat horribly. I eat maybe 2 meals a day, both fast food with a dessert, and snack constantly on junk food. I can't remember the last time I had a vegetable that wasn't french fries. Has anyone experienced delayed ovulation due to poor diet? I'm just trying to figure out why my cycles have gone crazy the past few months, and the only thing I've really changed is the way I eat.
I used to be a super healthy eater...wouldn't touch ANYTHING before I weighed it and wrote it down in a food journal. After awhile though I just kinda let that all go. In the past year I've gained roughly 40lbs, which is good because I'm recovering from an eating disorder and needed to gain, but now I can't help but think I'm doing damage to my body again but in a different way. Any opinions would be helpful. I look forward to hearing from you!
*-_~Kathryn
Kittie09
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby scara28 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Kittie - If you change your diet to such an extreme that you're starving your body of the essential vitamins and minerals it needs to regulate your hormone levels, then YES! Absolutely! You should watch supersize me.

Your body needs to have the essentials to survive! Did you know that if you starve it enough, it will break down your organs to use as fuel? This is why people lose weight from eating junk food. Your body will start with burning fat, then your muscle will break down, and then your organs. It's very scary to think about. This is something that can kill you over time.

If you're unsure of what, or how to eat, you should talk to your doctor. You need to be eating good fats, carbs, proteins, fibers, minerals, and vitamins to maintain proper body function.

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record here, but you're only given one body in this life. Treat it like a temple, not a garbage pit.
scara28
Friend

Postby Missjules » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi, I am very obese (over 300 pounds) and improved my diet and my exercise routine - I have never been a fast food junkie or a couch potato, but I just turned everything up a few notches.. and low and behold, my cycles have improved! I went from 50+ day cycles with no clear ovulation to 28-30 day ovulatory cycles. I do not credit "losing weight" necessarily because the amount of weight I lost was minimal.. I think it's more the better diet and additional exercise.

I'm eating around 10 servings of combined fruits and veggies a day.. plus a ton lentils and beans which are high in folate and fiber. I've cut way back on the milk and meat because I had really high estrogen that was causing bleed through and I dunno, I just felt like the hormones in the milk and meat weren't helping any.

So this is just me... I'm not a doctor or nutritionist or anything, it's just my own experience.
Me 37
DH 37 (he's a week older though!)
Married 6/8/09
TTC #1 since 8/09
currently waiting on fertility workup results
My Ovulation Chart
Missjules
Friend

Postby Kittie09 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Thanks so much ladies! Today I went through our freezer and put all of the frozen meals underneath all of the good food...I hate to dig in the cold to get something so I figure if the veggies and meats are on top then I'll be more likely to cook! I haven't really had anything bad today except for Sun Chips and one pack of fruit snacks. Other than that I had a double turkey burger, veggies, a banana, and some chicken and wild rice soup. I haven't worked out today but I'm trying not to get too down...I'm just taking this one step at a time. Thanks for the support!
*-_~Kathryn
Kittie09
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby scara28 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Kittie - Good luck! I'm glad you're being proactive with healthy eating now, rather than later.

One thing that I've noticed about myself is that if I don't exercise and eat right, I get depressed. Unfortunately, it creates this awful cycle of negative self talk, and a lack of desire to do anything. So rather than doing the things I should, I do the things I shouldn't. Motivation is a pain in the butt! lol But, I've taken to reminding myself that if it was easy, there would be no satisfaction in it.

It sounds like the changes you've made so far are good ones. Don't beat yourself up if you make a couple of bad choices! If you don't want to exercise, just try to get outside for a walk. Sometimes that's all it takes to change your mood.

Oh, and Missjules is sooooo right about beans! They are the wonder fruit! Try Amy's Organics refried beans with salsa, and baked tortilla shells (sliced). They're filling, and delicious!

All the best to you in your journey! :luck:
scara28
Friend

Postby Sugarplum1922 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:54 pm

Oh my gosh ladies..perfect conversation for me to join in on..I hope you don't mind. I feel like I am slowly killing myself because of my poor habits. I am 22 years old, 5'3, and I weigh almost 180 pounds..just under. I was never an overweight kid...at 15 I was about 103 pounds, and it has just snuck up on me over the years. I think that the biggest period of weight gain was after I moved in with my husband. He is blessed with a fast metabolism, and can eat almost anything and still maintain a skinny rock-hard body! I am the opposite! My cycles are now irregular, and i was told that I have PCOS. I am going to start to lose the weight, and start exercising. I plan to join weight watchers....I think that that might be a good option for you. You don't actually have to join to lose weight..you can do a maintain diet. Anyway, I would like to lose around 50 pounds, but I don't want to stop TTC until I do.....so, I think that by focusing on the healthier lifestyle for a couple months, and not avoiding trying to get pregnant will make me feel better. It sounds like you are on the right track...keep it up!
[b][color=#BF00FF]Me: 26 Dh: 29
TTC #1 with PCOS over 2 years.
BFP!--April 2010
DS born- 12-21-2010

TTC# 2 since 2012
Currently taking-150mg clomid, 1500 mg daily Metformin.
MOTHERS DAY BFP!!!!!!!!! 8DPO!
16 DPO Beta- 589

ImageImage
Sugarplum1922
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to Weight Loss and TTC