cooks in one pot, is healthy, and high folate! must try!

Share diet plans, exercise routines, recipies, and find support.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

cooks in one pot, is healthy, and high folate! must try!

Postby Missjules » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:20 am

So my hubby is Lebanese so we eat a ton of Lebanese and Mediterranean food. I wanted to share with you one of my favorites which happens to be very high in folate (the natural form of folic acid)

Mujaddara-

2 T Extra virgin olive oil
2 generous cups of chopped onions
1 cup of long grain brown rice
3/4 cups of brown lentils (don't use the little pink lentils for this recipe)
2T cumin
1 T salt (I actually use only 2 teaspoons, but my palate is used to lower salt foods)
1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley

cook onions and olive oil in a pot until onions are brown (caramelized) this takes around 5-7 minutes

Add washed lentils and rice. stir.. add around four cups of water. Add salt. Stir well. cover and cook for 40 minutes. Stir. add cumin. Add more water if necessary (up to a cup) cook covered for an additional 20 minutes stirring occasionally. It's done when some of the lentils are mushy and others are whole, and the rice is soft. Consistency should be like slightly runny oatmeal or a very thick stew. When it's done pour out onto a deep plate or large shallow bowl. garnish with chopped parsley and cover with a large cover ( I just use the pot cover) so that the heat of the mujaddara slightly steams the parsley. Wait 10-15 minutes and serve warm but not hot..

Also tastes fabulous cold as a spread for lettuce wraps, or on pita bread.

left overs will keep several days in the fridge.

1/4 of the recipe (which is a LOT and VERY filling and the amount I eat when I am eating it as a meal without anything else) contains. 445 calories, 15 grams of fiber, 19 grams of protein, and a whopping 301 mcg of folate (about half of the recommended dosages for women who are ttc)
Me 37
DH 37 (he's a week older though!)
Married 6/8/09
TTC #1 since 8/09
currently waiting on fertility workup results
My Ovulation Chart
Missjules
Friend

Postby AnnaJuly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:44 am

Thanks for sharing your recipie - will try it!
Could you post a pic of whatn is should look like in the end :oops: I find cook books/recipies with pics work better for me.
Thanx :)
Anna
AnnaJuly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Weight Loss and TTC