anyone else looking to lose more than 30 pounds?

Share diet plans, exercise routines, recipies, and find support.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

anyone else looking to lose more than 30 pounds?

Postby ballerinamommy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:31 am

Hey girls...thanks to depression, Depo Provera (which put a good 25-30 pounds on me in 9 months), and a few other things, I'm right back where I was shortly after giving birth to DD (who is 4 1/2).

This past year, I lost in the neighborhood of 30 pounds...it was very slow going, but better than putting back on, right? Last time I weighed myself (which was before the holiday season sprung! lol), I was at 202...I'm sure I've put a few pounds on from all the pumpkin roll I've had (which is totally worth it, IMO! haha) but am starting full force again with my 'healthier eating'. Hopefully I'll at least get back down to where I was pre-pregnancy which was around 170...my final goal would be somewhere around 140, but I would, of course, love to be pregnant somewhere in that time.

Last January, I simply started by changing a few things in my diet, mainly for the purpose of controlling my hypoglycemia which had been getting the better of me and I'd really like to avoid diabetes if possible in the future, so switched to whole grain/seeded breads, cut down on the number of take aways (even though I am in love with curry since moving here!).

Anyways, I don't have any scales at home (I'd be obsessed with them if I did), so don't weight THAT often, however, I do take measurements when I think there is a difference.

Since the start of last year I have lost:
8 inches from my waist
8 inches from my hips
9 inches from that horrible 'mommy flap' style lower tummy
3/4 in from my neck
6 inches from my bust (which hubby isn't very happy about lol! oh well)

I've been using www.sparkpeople.com to track my measurements and weight, but have been slacking lately as I said. Need to get back into the habit of being more active again (hoping the weather brightens up a bit today so we can walk the couple miles to the library and back!)

So, is there anyone else needing to lose more than 30 pounds? Hopefully we can encourage each other to be more fit and active for pregnancy and parenthood!
First missed injection of Depo: Aug.2005; TTC#2 ever since.

Image Image
ballerinamommy

Postby ballerinamommy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:54 am

yeah, I know it can definitely only be a good thing, both physically and emotionally as well as hopefully helping make it easier to conceive. :D

Good luck with your weight loss, hon! I have read that PCOS does make it more difficult, but it won't be impossible! Finding a good eating plan where you're not being deprived (I know that always makes it harder for me...saying "no chocolate cake ever" makes me want to eat a whole one! haha) and starting by just changing a few things makes it so much easier!

My first 'mini-goal' will be getting back under 200...that will make me smile, I'm sure! :D Haven't seen that side of the scale in about 5 years.

Image Image
ballerinamommy

Postby Lisa79 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:21 pm

Me defintely!! Except replace 30lbs with 100 and we're good to go! lol
My weight right now is the highest it's ever been at 235. And being only 5'2"... the weight is definitely making me into a butterball!
I wish I could say that it's some medications fault, but nope, it's all on me and my damn love of bad food! lol

I'm starting an exercise routine though. I'm gonna start off on our eliptical machine and then add in some dvd workouts when I start feeling a bit more fit. I need to get myself a calender so I can write down and keep track of my progress. *nodnod* I'll get one this weekend hopefully :)

I'm also going to TRY to cut back on all of the bad things I know I shouldn't have heh. Notice I didn't say totally cut out. I just can't do that b/c I know I wouldn't stick with it. I've tryed alot of the fad diets that restricts what foods you have and I don't think I've ever lasted more than a week lol.

Food and laziness are my enemies, but I shall beat them both to a bloody pulp!

My short term goal is to also get under 200lbs. That or to get into a size 14 (currently a size 18 )... whichever comes first... both at the same time would be nice though :mrgreen:
Lisa79
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lisa79 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:34 am

Lol... asking wrong person about portion control.

Whenever I've tryed to lose weight before, I used to count calories.
There's a book called calorie king... pretty sure there's a website as well (it's a paysite now.. used to be free :? )
anywho... and it gives you the calories for pretty much everything.

I would weigh everything, measure everything out, etc etc, then put a limit on how many calories I could have per day and *nod* go from there.

It gets so tiring after a while though.

Now... I'm just gonna try to eat better things. Eat a salad for lunch, have a salad w/ dinner.
Eat more fruit, take some fiber pills (i can't stand most high fiber food)... etc etc etc.

I hate portion controling but dangit if it's not necessary! :cry:
Lisa79
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ballerinamommy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:34 am

I hear ya, Lisa! I can hardly wait to get back into my 14s! I brought them with me when we came to the UK 3 1/2 years ago, figuring the 'bad food' here would help me out...instead I discovered Indian food...yummmmmm! Can't find anything I don't like at the takeaways or in the restaurants when we go (which hasn't been nearly as much this year!). Makes me mad, though, that about 5 months after we got here, I could get them on and buttoned, but wasn't ready for wearing them out of the house just yet, then I went and ballooned up to around 225 or so...goodbye almost 14s! Hello 18/20s... :cry: It's even worse because in the UK the sizing is different, so that made me a 22/24 in most shops, which they don't cater well to. :? Anyways, hubby took me on Tuesday to get a new outfit and it was a UK18 which is supposed to be a US14, but I can't yet get into my Old Navy 14s... :roll:

Hmmm...about portion control...my best advice is drink extra water (sometimes that rumbly in your tumbly is because you're really thirsty and not hungry), add those whole grains in, including your pasta...it not only has loads more flavor, it sticks with you for longer (if you want to wean yourself in to the whole wheat stuff, start off with those 'white wheat' type breads...you know "tastes like white with the goodness of whole grain"), eat a salad before your main meal and include more veggies. Eat leaner meats, that way if you eat a bit more than you should, you won't be having as much fat/cals as you would've. Never skip breakfast, either, but make it a good start to the day...something like a bowl of oatmeal, poached/hard boiled egg with whole wheat toast, fruit and lowfat yogurt, or something like that.

A few things I did last year which helped me lose include the things i just said and just making a few other small changes which I plan to continue to add to this year...things like switching to ground chicken/turkey instead of using beef as much and when we do use beef, we at least USUALLY go for the better stuff and choose organic when we can find/afford to. We're trying to eat fish more often as well, and not just fish from the 'chip shops'...just pop it under the broiler or just bake it in some foil with a bit of butter (can't totally deny yourself!) and some lemon, salt, pepper, and herbs like dill or parsley...yummy!
I agree, Lisa...the faddy things are definitely no good...I guess they might work if you've got enough willpower to stick to them, but who wants to eat cabbage soup for the rest of their lives? Not me! :mrgreen: I love my food, there's no hiding that fact, but theirs no reason we can't eat good stuff and still lose, right? BTW, Lisa, check out that link I posted in the OP...it's 100% free to sign up and you can track your food (or use their food plan), exercise, water intake, as well as keep track of your weight/measurements...plus they've got a forum type thing for support and clubs to join...good stuff! I'm doing what the email yesterday told me...I'm spreading the spark! :mrgreen:

Image Image
ballerinamommy

Postby ballerinamommy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:41 am

OH, don't forget to snack! Yes, I said snack! Just don't grab the bag of chips...go for fruit, veggies with low fat dip/hummus (or plain!), a palm full of nuts/seeds (fatty, but they're good fats and good fats in moderation can help you lose!), a good sized pot of low/non fat yogurt (because we know adding low fat dairy is another way to help lose weight!), etc...make it something which will keep your sugar levels where they should be and make you feel less hungry, therefore you won't be as likely to gorge yourself at mealtimes as we're all apt to do sometimes... :oops:

Image Image
ballerinamommy

Postby Lisa79 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:36 pm

Oh I've been to that site before... actually have an account there as well. I need to actually write down what I'm doing though. It's weird but if I do it on the comp, it just doesn't keep me as motivated for some reason. *shrugs*

I'm SO glad I don't live in Germany. We vacationed over there in early Oct.. just passed through on our way to Paris and then through back to Italy and man oh man.. Germans know how to eat!

We went to this one place called the Fraundorfer... *drooooools* They had the absolute best... B-E-S-T steak I've ever eaten in my entire life. It was so tender and SO juicy and just... *droooools some more*
Then in the same town, they had one of their markets going on. Gosh.. food food and more food!
It was no surprise to us that alot of the Germans we saw were a bit on the overweight side... felt like we were home :P hehe

Anywho!!!
I'll be starting exercising Monday. We'll go grocery shopping this weekend, so I can get some healthier choices and *nods* I need to stick with it this time. I only have pretty much 9 months until my wedding and I will NOT be this big during it! I am literally going to work my @ss off! :jump: :mrgreen:
Lisa79
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ballerinamommy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:36 am

Ooh, I understand about the German thing...not totally the same, but in Birmingham, UK, they have the largest German food festival outside of Germany...hubby and I have gone a couple times and goodness, what yummy stuff!! :mrgreen: He always goes for the sausages...mmmm

Image Image
ballerinamommy

Postby zanyjanie15 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:54 am

Hey ladies, just thought I would share my recent success with weight loss. I was 153 at the end of October and by Mid December i was 133. I Joined WEIGHT WATCHERS!!! It works! I just joined online and it was 16.95 a month. You should check it out. www.weightwatchers.com you can browse around the message boards and ask other members questions. Just my 2cents :-)
zanyjanie15

Postby Lisa79 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:57 am

I tryed WW... and I just didn't like it. I know it works for alot of people, but it wasn't right for me. Maybe I wasn't motivated enough when I joined or something.. *shrugs*
Plus it's just too expensive to join for us right now.
After Xmas and so close after we took our vacation... we have zippo for money heh.
Lisa79
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lisa79 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:58 am

Woot! Today is monday and is the start of my new exercise routine!
I so didn't feel like doing anything when I woke up, but I'm forcing myself.
This is why I was fat when we went to Italy... b/c I put off exercising for so long that it was too late for me to get thinner for our trip :(
But not anymore! I won't let myself be a fat bride! Or at least... this fat of a bride! lol
Lisa79
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lisa79 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:17 am

So how are you ladies doing so far?
My eating could be better, but I exercised monday and tuesday. I'm in such bad shape though that I'm having to rest today b/c my calf muscles are SO freaking sore. I would push through it, but I don't want to injure myself and have to stop for a longer amount of time, ya know?

I hope everyone is doing great!
Lisa79
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby monyluv » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:37 pm

hey ladies can i join you? i'm 5'2" and just hit 200 lbs for the 1st time ever. i need to make some major changes!
Me: 36
DH: 36
DS: Evan, born 1.20.09

DD: Elise, born 3.8.11

and we are DONE!! Thanks TWW!! <mwah>
monyluv

Next

Return to Weight Loss and TTC